Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question about a half drow.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 00:04:20
Hey guys, its been a while since I've posted here. Sorry about that. ^_^

Anywho, I have a quick question for any of you experienced DM's and RPGers. Is it possible to create a half drow, half avariel? If so, how would I go about doing this?

My friend Sam and I were wanting to make a character like that and make them twins for a campaign.

I would appreciate any help you could give.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 15 Oct 2010 : 18:25:05
I'd say the Plot and Poison book would be your best bet. Just substitute the Avariel info in place of the deep-bat stuff, and oyou go. As for looks, you could play it as either, or a mix, or perhaps just a drow with wings. I tend to like mixes, myself, very rarely will one trait totally dominate, in RL. Just look at mixed-race folks around. They almost always have traits of both sides. You might also look at the Bastards and Bloodlines book, and use some of the info for half-breeds in it. I am currently working on a half-troll dwarf based on that. (He's hairy, regenerates, and says "bub" a lot- don't ask...) LOL!!
Zireael Posted - 15 Oct 2010 : 14:09:25
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Sadonayerah Odrydin

Thanks. And actually, that's what I need, also, is the stats if there are any for this kind of character.

Stats/character creation guidelines for a being half-drow and half-avariel? I don't recall any FR product from any edition addressing this possibility. However, Green Ronin's Plot & Poison took a look at something in this vein. The Vupdrax featured on page 55 of this product were drow with great bat wings.

Plot & Poison, eh? I'll have to look for this one. Anything else in it worth mentioning?
Vupdrax sound nice...
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 23:08:55
Sage: Indeed it was pretty different. But we had a very good DM so that helped us as well. One of the obstacles was we were hired by this old man to kill the person who outcast him...yeah... we had to stop before we finished it. (people had to leave. no more time that day).

kuje31: Ah. That explains it I guess. lol.

~Sadie
Kuje Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 17:18:35
quote:

No I meant the whole thing about letting them be half and half or one or the other....

Well, they are taking it rather well. His (my character's) twin wants revenge on the whole avariel council that decided that, the little sister is clinging to my character, and my character just isn't thinking about it. He won't tell anyone either.

~Sadie

Sure you can choose to ignore that info, but that was how half-elf offspring has been protrayed from the old grey box of 1e to 3e's Races of Faerun.
The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 08:09:42
quote:

Is it mainly up to the DMs? Because the one that made the stuff about the character for me said that when I played that character in his campaign, I had to look like both parents.... it wasn't very cool either. The campaign started out with me, my twin, and our little sister being outcast by Avariel society.... Very sad!!!

I don't know that I like the whole idea of mixing them though. It just doesn't seem quite right.... *shrugs* but I'm no experienced DM or anything. Lol! ^_^

~Sadie

It may not seem right, but I would wager that this mixing would create a very unique role-playing environment. It deserves to be explored further, if only to break a little of the typical elven stereotype - whether it be a drow, avariel, or something in-between.
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 05:35:56
No I meant the whole thing about letting them be half and half or one or the other....

Well, they are taking it rather well. His (my character's) twin wants revenge on the whole avariel council that decided that, the little sister is clinging to my character, and my character just isn't thinking about it. He won't tell anyone either.

~Sadie
SiriusBlack Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 04:41:11
quote:

[navy]Is it mainly up to the DMs?

Each DM has his or her own take on the rules. Thus, yes it is although a good DM will listen to players, explain to them how they are wrong, and then get them back on track. Or something like taht.

quote:

The campaign started out with me, my twin, and our little sister being outcast by Avariel society.... Very sad!!!

Okay, sad for the characters, but great roleplaying opportunities. How are they taking it? Utterly depressed? Suicidal? A seed of hatred forming towards Avariel society that has rejected the character. The possibilities are endless.
SiriusBlack Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 04:38:48
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Well, most half-drow favor their drow parents, since its a matter of genetics, but I wont get into DNA and such, because then I'll be talking all day.......

Are you saying half-drow breed back true to the drow race? Hmm, where have I heard that before?
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 02:43:10
Is it mainly up to the DMs? Because the one that made the stuff about the character for me said that when I played that character in his campaign, I had to look like both parents.... it wasn't very cool either. The campaign started out with me, my twin, and our little sister being outcast by Avariel society.... Very sad!!!

I don't know that I like the whole idea of mixing them though. It just doesn't seem quite right.... *shrugs* but I'm no experienced DM or anything. Lol! ^_^

~Sadie
Shadowlord Posted - 11 Mar 2004 : 02:09:03
Well, most half-drow favor their drow parents, since its a matter of genetics, but I wont get into DNA and such, because then I'll be talking all day.......

At this point, many people listening decide to walk away......
Bookwyrm Posted - 10 Mar 2004 : 07:07:27
Timmy the Tooth. My niece decided she wanted to watch some of my old cartoon movies (in this case, The Land Before Time, a classic if there ever was one), and I saw the preview for that series. And here I'd blotted it out of my mind.

But enough of that . . .
The Sage Posted - 10 Mar 2004 : 02:39:49
Yes, I remember the phrase, although I can't pinpoint the source of the reference.
Bookwyrm Posted - 08 Mar 2004 : 17:32:55
Let me guess . . . that's where the Cavity Goon lives, right?

(Don't worry -- it's an old, very stupid TV show reference. )
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 09:08:10
lol!

Sage: No I haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

~Sadie
The Sage Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 08:20:29
quote:

Anywho, I have a quick question for any of you experienced DM's and RPGers. Is it possible to create a half drow, half avariel? If so, how would I go about doing this?

My friend Sam and I were wanting to make a character like that and make them twins for a campaign.

Have you visited Community3e.com's 'Races' section. They've provided an interesting number of Half-Drow variants...one of my favorites being a half-drow/half sea-elf variant. It's wildly impractical and not very well balanced, but it's the sort of race I'm looking to include as a possible player choice for my upcoming 'April Fool's Day' campaign that I run every year. This year I'll be following up the PC's adventures from the Quasielemental Plane of Candy...I must remember to tell Mournblade...
Bookwyrm Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 07:29:40
Dang! Ya beat me to it. And here I was trying to think of a good joke about mutant elves.
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 04:32:07
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
A half moon elf and a half sun elf either breeds another half moon elf or a half sun elf. Not a mix of 1/2 human, 3/4 half sun and 3/4 half moon.

I wonder sometimes if the rules were more a matter of conveniance to avoid players having to deal with fractions.
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 01:02:46
*nods* yeah. I'm just going to use the rules. The character looks like an avariel elf.

Here are the stats that my friend gave me that he came up with for the half drow, half avariel:

Same as elves except
+4 dex, -2 con, +2 int, +2 Jump
Light sensitivity, -1 to attacks, saves, and checks in bright light
Fly 40ft, 9ft wingspan must be able to spread wings to fly, fly quality- poor.
Level Adjustment +2

That's all he said. If you guys need more, I can always ask him.

~Sadie
Kuje Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 18:32:47
Cult Leader, I'm going by the rules of the setting that were printed in 1e/2e/3e.

So again an sun elf and an moon elf breeds either a moon or a sun elf. Not half and half.

A half moon elf and a half sun elf either breeds another half moon elf or a half sun elf. Not a mix of 1/2 human, 3/4 half sun and 3/4 half moon.

As I said though it's your game so do what you want but by the rules of FR a half-elf and a half-elf always breeds another half-elf.
Bookwyrm Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 17:43:42
No, in the rules it works like that. In this case, elven ancestery works like a gene dominance; only one can be dominant at a time, meaning that a character can only have one 'aspect' of 'elf' -- dark, sun, moon, etc. Doesn't matter what. Doesn't even matter when you get into half-and-half characters. Unless, of course, the half-whatever breeds with a full-blood, in which case unique stats can develop.
Cult_Leader Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 15:32:18
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Well elves in FR always breed true if they have two elven parents. So a sun elf and a moon elf would have either a sun or a moon elf as offspring. Not a half and half.

Half-elves and Half-elves do the same. So a half-drow and a half-avarial would either be a full half-drow or a full half-avarial not a mix of either.

But it's your world so you can change the rules, but don't ask me what the stats for such a race would be. :)

It might be correct with the elves but once you get into racesw such as, Hey im a half elf, and hey im a half demon, your not going to be hal elf or half demon, your going to be the mix of the two. SO, Take a half Drow, and a Half elf. You would more or less boil down into half human, 1/4 drow and 1/4 elf. Now drow are dark elves I know but for game mechanics they are slightly diffrent. A halc of Breeding with say A half something is going to be a mix, not one or the other. Even in a fantasty game setting like this one if you come from parents and not a "parent" your a mix of the two lol. Blood thins out like it does in real life.
Cult_Leader Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 15:27:32
Umm yeah, There are stats for half drows in one of the FR books. Its a player type even lol. Well in third edtion it is. It is the same book that has all the sub races of elves and dwarves etc. Also if you want to clash one being with another one, such as Orc and Ogre, all you really need to do is look at the listings for the full blooded ones, then take, the racial abilities, like dark sight, blah blah blah, add them all together, then take your stat mods ( not the mnods but like + or - numbers) just as an example, take of instance, that Orc ( just in example here) have +1 str right? Then ogre who are STR + 3, Now give an org Str+4. Same for minus, say orcs get minus 2 int, and ogres get minus 4, now an org would have minus 6 int. Thats just how we do it in our game though that is not how it HAS to be done. The rules in the books are after all only good guide lines.
Ezindir the dark Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 12:43:44
Good, good.

Looking forward to the stats.
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 05:15:44
*Nods* Yeah. That would be something too. I appreciate the ideas and help you guys have given. ^_^

And I was just told this by another friend of mine, has said that it is possible to create a half drow, half avariel. He's going to work up the stats for me and get them to me either tomorrow or some time this weekend.

According to him, he's going to use some of the rules in the Savage Species book and the DMG to help him make the stats.

I will definitely post up what he comes up with.

~Sadie
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 16:47:23
quote:

dang. I had a feeling that would be the case. Thank you guys for your help. I'll talk to Sam and see what else we can come up with.

~Sadie

Best thing might be for you and Sam to sit down with what you know about both races and come up with your own rules/guidelines if you both are passionate about seeing such a possibility come to fruition. Moreover, such a creation could be shared with others on here or elsewhere once you have completed the guidelines.
Ezindir the dark Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 10:15:32
Greetings!

I have made this sort of a character at NwN, but I dont have any specciall stats, but I have some starts and info about Avariels and drow if you want it?

Anyway, I would like to see the result as I think I am going to play with this kiind of character in roleplaying.
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 05:56:43
dang. I had a feeling that would be the case. Thank you guys for your help. I'll talk to Sam and see what else we can come up with.

~Sadie
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 04:32:00
quote:

Thanks. And actually, that's what I need, also, is the stats if there are any for this kind of character.

Stats/character creation guidelines for a being half-drow and half-avariel? I don't recall any FR product from any edition addressing this possibility. However, Green Ronin's Plot & Poison took a look at something in this vein. The Vupdrax featured on page 55 of this product were drow with great bat wings.
Sadonayerah Odrydin Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 02:44:03
Kuje Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 01:16:32
quote:

Well elves in FR always breed true if they have two elven parents. So a sun elf and a moon elf would have either a sun or a moon elf as offspring. Not a half and half.

Half-elves and Half-elves do the same. So a half-drow and a half-avarial would either be a full half-drow or a full half-avarial not a mix of either.

But it's your world so you can change the rules, but don't ask me what the stats for such a race would be. :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000