Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 3.5 Icewind Dale products?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Starshade Posted - 31 Dec 2014 : 22:10:36
I have the 3.5 campagin setting and Races of faerun, but what Resources specific to 3.5 would be useful for running adventures for beginners in Icewind Dale? Looks like it was on the top of the wish list, due to Drizzt and the computer games being set there. Any premade adventures/modules who would work there?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jan 2015 : 00:56:56
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

For RPG books FR4 The Savage Frontier has info on the whole north area, including some on Icewind Dale, and the pdf is fairly cheap on dndclassics.com

Minor correction: FR5 was The Savage Frontier. FR4 is The Magister, one of my very first eBay purchases (after trying for literally years to find a copy locally).

FR5, that's what I meant, thanks! That's what I get for posting from a phone.

No worries! Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion for anyone.
idilippy Posted - 02 Jan 2015 : 00:38:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

For RPG books FR4 The Savage Frontier has info on the whole north area, including some on Icewind Dale, and the pdf is fairly cheap on dndclassics.com

Minor correction: FR5 was The Savage Frontier. FR4 is The Magister, one of my very first eBay purchases (after trying for literally years to find a copy locally).

FR5, that's what I meant, thanks! That's what I get for posting from a phone.
hashimashadoo Posted - 01 Jan 2015 : 17:33:39
The Dale itself doesn't have different climate zones, but it's surrounded by glaciers, ice floes and tall mountains. The temperature of the seasons can vary drastically too. Summers can be pleasantly warm but winter weather comes earlier in the autumn than most places. Spring is the most dangerous time of year because of weakened ice and the prevelance of mud (and tundra yetis).
Starshade Posted - 01 Jan 2015 : 15:03:18
Some good tips, I already thought of looking at Waterdeep, and probably will get the Frostburn pdf :)
But, how do the climate in Icewind dale work, part of it seem Arctic in the novels, but there's mentioned forrests too on the FR wiki.. The dale got several climate zones?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2015 : 14:57:02
quote:

idilippy Posted - 01 Jan 2015 : 13:31:04
For RPG books FR5 The Savage Frontier has info on the whole north area, including some on Icewind Dale, and the pdf is fairly cheap on dndclassics.com

Edit: fixed the typo, FR 5 not 4
BEAST Posted - 01 Jan 2015 : 06:34:13
In the "Paths of Darkness" mini-series, the Companions of the Hall operate out of Icewind Dale again. This series covered 2E and the transition into 3E.

The Accursed Tower is an adventure set in the Dale in spring, 1369 DR, towards the end of 2E.

King Bruenor Battlehammer lead a caravan of dwarves out of the Dale in spring, 1371 DR (The Thousand Orcs). This began a cornerstone of 3E: King Obould's campaign of revenge in the North.

A Reader's Guide to RAS's The Legend of Drizzt provides lots of color maps to all the towns, and to most of the other locales in Icewind Dale. These maps include nice blurbs on major sites, which help fill in the history and lore of the towns. ARG was published at the beginning of 4E, but it really referred back to the Drizzt stories from 1E-3E.

I haven't played enough of it, but it's possible that the CRPG Demon Stone might have brought the PCs back to the Dale for a while around 1373 DR.

Wulfgar takes his leave from the rest of the Companions in mid-1372 DR (The Orc King). Drizzt and Regis reconnect with him in the winter of 1376-1377 DR in The Pirate King. And then in "To Legend He Goes", we learn of the life that Wulfgar lead in the Dale up to his death in 1437 DR.

Some fishermen have a bizarre encounter on the shores of one of the lakes of Icewind Dale around 1395 DR in the short story "Iruladoon".

Bruenor and Drizzt revisit the Dale around 1451 DR in Gauntlgrym, and we get to catch up on some of the happenings in the last half-century.

Late 4E's Legacy of the Crystal Shard finally provides us with a map of the dwarven compound beneath Kelvin's Cairn, as well as general lore about the rest of the Dale.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jan 2015 : 03:51:41
To my knowledge, most of the Icewind dale lore is in the novels. You might want to look at the old 1st edition Savage Frontiers though, as it may have some stuff. Generally north stuff though for 3.5, look at Silver Marches (its 3.0, but....). If you're in the north, the City of Splendors is also useful, as the players should visit Waterdeep at least once or twice. The Underdark sourcebook can also be useful nearly anywhere, since its right below all the surface campaign areas.
hashimashadoo Posted - 31 Dec 2014 : 23:46:49
Frostburn, though a generic supplement deals with campaigns set in cold areas. The Icewind Dale II CRPG is 3rd edition and can be converted to PnP if you have the time and patience.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000