Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 loss of vision

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikie Posted - 29 Nov 2013 : 20:29:11
Well met all! I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving! I have a quick question regarding loss of sight. One of my players had the unfortunate action of having his eye "popped" out of his socket. Total removal. Does anyone know the penalties for this injury? Also, (ok so I have 2 ?'s) he is ambidexterious. Would this also affect his fighting? Looking forward for any info. Thanks!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 07 Dec 2013 : 18:43:31
There‘s always the legendary blind swordsman trope. And any character can learn Blind Fighting to offset penalties.

It‘s often said that the other senses become sharper to compensate for one which is lost. D&D being a fantasy, it might be argued that spellcasters could gain some sort of supernatural perception, a “second sight“ to replace their loss of vision. Even common Detection spells could provide some replacement for sight. In fact, there is at least one canon character afflicted with spellscarred blindness and the ability to “see“ things with True Sight (albeit he endured a long period of adjustment and sometimes suffers from headaches, fatigue, and strain when he overexerts his new vision).

A (permanent?) Wizard Eye spell can replace a lost eye - with the cool bonus of being able to pop the magic eye out, leave it spying around somewhere, or even send it floating around disembodied to scout ahead or freak people out.

If your campaign features warforged then perhaps some sort of prosthetic eye can be artificially constructed, perhaps with abilities different from human norms.

Of course, Cure Blindness is widely available in any campaign where priests can be found. Any sort of magical Regeneration or priestly Restoration could regrow severe (even fatal) damage to flesh, limbs, and organs. These options are sort of necessary in fantasy worlds filled with the hazards of adventure.

And then of course ... there‘s always the Eye of Vecna, heeheehee.
mikie Posted - 06 Dec 2013 : 14:31:07
Like the idea of the trauma effects! Will definately use them. Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Reoval of one eye only makes him lose the ability to accurately determine depth and his field of vision is reduced by about 25 percent. Depth perception up close within 5 feet or so) becomes extremely inaccurate, at longer ranges other visual cues can compensate for the loss of stereoscopic vision. Losing an eye like that can quickly lead to infections or confusion in the first few days; eye strain, dizziness, head aches and redness around the eyes.

If given enough time most folk sporting eyepatches learn to do nearly everything they could do within a year or so. In most cases (younger folk get this easier done) they learn to add movements with the head to determine depth at the cost of a slight delay in time needed to interpret the visual cues. In rare case his other eye might become even better at descerning details in color, contrast and shadows.

In game terms, I'd give him no penalties at all, aside from being nauseated from the shock of losing an eye for a while. Mostly because adventurers with eyepatches are the coolest kind.

If yoiu insist on mechanicly penalizing his eyeloss I'd give him the flaw:

One Eyed
Prerequisite: None

Effect: You only have one eye, and as such have little to no depth perception. The Medium and Long ranges of all of your spells, powers, and similar abilities are only half as far as normal. Additionally, you halve the range increment of all ranged weapons you use. You can spend a standard action to focus and negate the range penalty for the next round.

mikie Posted - 06 Dec 2013 : 14:29:20
Thanks for the info. I'll think it over & look at the 3.5 rules
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Unless knows blind fighting, -4 on combat and saves, movement 1/2 are some of the common types of things applied.

From SRD 3.5
quote:
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

Of course a cure blindness clearly can remove the problem.

BEAST Posted - 30 Nov 2013 : 20:25:13
Well, if the PC was a cyclops to begin with, then I'd say now, he's really gotten himself in a pickle!
Bladewind Posted - 30 Nov 2013 : 16:15:29
Reoval of one eye only makes him lose the ability to accurately determine depth and his field of vision is reduced by about 25 percent. Depth perception up close within 5 feet or so) becomes extremely inaccurate, at longer ranges other visual cues can compensate for the loss of stereoscopic vision. Losing an eye like that can quickly lead to infections or confusion in the first few days; eye strain, dizziness, head aches and redness around the eyes.

If given enough time most folk sporting eyepatches learn to do nearly everything they could do within a year or so. In most cases (younger folk get this easier done) they learn to add movements with the head to determine depth at the cost of a slight delay in time needed to interpret the visual cues. In rare case his other eye might become even better at descerning details in color, contrast and shadows.

In game terms, I'd give him no penalties at all, aside from being nauseated from the shock of losing an eye for a while. Mostly because adventurers with eyepatches are the coolest kind.

If yoiu insist on mechanicly penalizing his eyeloss I'd give him the flaw:

One Eyed
Prerequisite: None

Effect: You only have one eye, and as such have little to no depth perception. The Medium and Long ranges of all of your spells, powers, and similar abilities are only half as far as normal. Additionally, you halve the range increment of all ranged weapons you use. You can spend a standard action to focus and negate the range penalty for the next round.

Kentinal Posted - 29 Nov 2013 : 21:38:49
Unless knows blind fighting, -4 on combat and saves, movement 1/2 are some of the common types of things applied.

From SRD 3.5
quote:
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

Of course a cure blindness clearly can remove the problem.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000