Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 exceptional strength

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikie Posted - 04 Nov 2013 : 15:35:16
Well met all! I've a situation in my campaign that I need some help. I have 2 characters that have 18+ strength. One is a fighter the other is a cleric. I know that the fighter will get the additional bonus' for his strength. But, the cleric ALSO says he's entitled to the bonus'. (He isn't playing a war god diety) I told him he doesn't because he's a cleric. Am I correct in this? Any info would help. Thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Eilserus Posted - 07 Nov 2013 : 20:45:59
I hear that. We went the 3E route for a bit, but switched back to 2E. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I've found there's just too many things to keep track of with newer rulesets. 2E is fairly simple by comparison.
Kris the Grey Posted - 07 Nov 2013 : 17:11:21
As a recent 're-convert' to the 2E rules set, I'm pleased with all the 2E chatter around here of late!
Ayrik Posted - 07 Nov 2013 : 01:39:08
Exceptional Strength is supposed to represent years of beefy brawny conditioning ... available only to single- and multi-classed Fighters (and a few others, such as war priests and whatnot, if the DM allows). A non-Fighter with 18 Strength still has “just“ 18 Strength if he dual-classes as a Fighter, he doesn‘t gain a 18/01-18/00 percentile roll simply because he‘s become a 1st-level Fighter after another class, get it at 1st level or miss out. In AD&D 2E, Exceptional Strength is available to all Warriors (Fighter class, plus Ranger, Paladin, and Barbarian subclasses).

However, if he has 17+ Constitution, then he does gain the Fighter‘s bonus Hit Points per Die when dual-classing.

I vaguely recall an article or table or something about Exceptional Dexterity, in some ancient (circa 1E, pre-UA?) Dragon or Dungeon magazine, and it sounds exciting, but I can‘t recall anything else about it.
mikie Posted - 04 Nov 2013 : 18:27:26
Thanks! That's what I thought & said/ told him. You are right too. It is just a "guideline". Thanks again!
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

If your talking 2E rules, then only the fighter gets exceptional strength bonus. Maybe the cleric will be open to fighter/cleric multiclass. Of course rules are just guidelines, so feel free to change what you need for your campaign.

Eilserus Posted - 04 Nov 2013 : 15:53:26
If your talking 2E rules, then only the fighter gets exceptional strength bonus. Maybe the cleric will be open to fighter/cleric multiclass. Of course rules are just guidelines, so feel free to change what you need for your campaign.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000