Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Oracle in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ergdusch Posted - 12 Sep 2013 : 13:40:13
Hello fellow scribes,

I havn't been here for a while now, but I still remember fondly all the knowledgable and helpful people around here.

Therefore I put before you the following bundle of questions:

Are there any oracles in the Realms (esp. close to Cormyr) - people with mystic powers or places where one can glance into his own future?
Where are they located and what price would someone have to pay to gain this special insight?
Have you used Oracles in your own FR-Campaign?

I am not looking for canon lore only but rather for all and any gaming ideas concerning this matter ...

Thanks in advance,

Ergdusch

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 14 Sep 2013 : 15:07:33
Hey! Thanks for mentioning the novels, Dennis! You jogged my memory!

There was that Sage in SEMBIA (nice and close!) who devined things via mathematics, in the first Erevis Cale trilogy. He was actually one of my all-time favorite minor characters. He definitely knew the future, but was a bit nuts and cryptic (aren't they all?)

His name is Sephris Dwendon. I am not sure if he is (canonically) dead or alive anymore, but that shouldn't matter for a home game.
Dennis Posted - 14 Sep 2013 : 14:22:30

Lallara Mediocros, Zulkir of Divination, with the aid of the Death Moon Orb, was able to divine or see glimpses of the Spellplague.

King Zalathorm Kirkson, ruler of Halruaa, was a powerful diviner.

A man simply called Oracle, a mad seer from The Godborn, sees the future rather vividly and (almost?) accurately.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Sep 2013 : 16:32:06
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Close to Cormyr: Sumbar in the Sea of Fallen Stars.

-- George Krashos

Dear George,

do you have more information in this? What or who is it? Where is this Sumbar located? And so on...

Thanks in advance

Check out "Sea of Fallen Stars", p.13 and if you have access to the older sourcebooks, much more information in "Pirates of the Fallen Stars", pgs.66-67.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 13 Sep 2013 : 15:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Thank you, fellow scribes. All this is very helpful to shape my gaming ideas.

Has anyone heard of the "Oracles of the Moon"? I found this entry in the FR-wiki, but without any references.

Unless it's something I've forgotten [either from an older or obscure source], I don't remember this group being referenced in any official Realms source.

My guess... it's still one of the few non-canonical references in the FRWiki that needs to be purged.
Markustay Posted - 13 Sep 2013 : 13:58:56
There is a whole section on Prophesy in Steven Schend's wonderful Lands of Intrigue, but thats too far to be useful, me thinks.

There is also Semkhrun in Semphar, but once again, too far.

I haven't used an oracle yet, but if I did, it would probably be along the lines of a 'Trelawney thing' (Harry Potter) - some madwits woman who speaks normally most of the time, but every so often lapses into a weird trance and speaks cryptically (and of course, this should happen while the PCs are visiting with her for some other reason).
Ergdusch Posted - 13 Sep 2013 : 13:14:44
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Dear George,

do you have more information in this? What or who is it? Where is this Sumbar located? And so on...

Thanks in advance
Ergdusch Posted - 13 Sep 2013 : 13:13:28
Thank you, fellow scribes. All this is very helpful to shape my gaming ideas.

Has anyone heard of the "Oracles of the Moon"? I found this entry in the FR-wiki, but without any references.

_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 13 Sep 2013 : 12:31:21
There is the Oracle of Ellyn'taal in north which is Ioulaum, but its not close to cormyr I think.
The Sage Posted - 13 Sep 2013 : 03:44:31
Augathra [the Mad] of Candlekeep. She is said to have "written out thousands of years and named them, while in the great library at Candlekeep." She was also building off the work of seers and prophets before her [some of them elves], just like Alaundo built off her work.
George Krashos Posted - 12 Sep 2013 : 23:33:50

-- George Krashos
Ayrik Posted - 12 Sep 2013 : 23:05:47
Alaundo of Candlekeep was quite legendary ... of course, he happens to be dead ... or runs a website ... pretty much the same thing.
Gary Dallison Posted - 12 Sep 2013 : 15:51:06
The notes i have on the Abbalayar is that they dwell in Ul'sahab; The City of Seers. The remaining blurb about the city is unimportant but the last paragraph states that every twenty years gifted members are dispatched throughout Faerun to share their prophecies. The last group left Ul'sahab in 1355 DR.

So depending on when you have your game set depends on whether you can use them. I suppose that if you play in 4ed realms the city might still exist if the marching mountains and mount Abbalayat is still around (i wouldnt know as i dont have much info past 3ed).

If you are playing in 1370 ish then it is conceivable that they could still be wandering the realms as part of the group that left in 1355. The paragraph isnt clear as to how long these reverse pilgrimages last, do they have to return before the end of the twenty years or can they return whenever. It does however state that the group never fails to return so their foresight must be pretty accurate.
The Arcanamach Posted - 12 Sep 2013 : 15:10:24
Empires of the Shining Sea: Mount Abbalayat, the Abbalayar (a group of oracles) roam the world for twenty years each and eventually return to the mountain (none of them have ever failed to return). They have a number or oracular/divinatory powers, any one of them could work as an oracle anywhere you see fit (until they return home). They are actually a subset of humans (with an extra joint in the fingers) that are born at random (i.e., not always born to other abbalayar but within the bloodline [I think]).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000