Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Altitudes and (uh) lowtudes in the Dalelands

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caladan Brood Posted - 10 Jul 2013 : 21:39:18
So I've been driving across Norway the last couple of days through rather steep valleys, some large and wide, others small and narrow, and they are all green and verdant now in the summer but it got me thinking about the Dalelands. Because these dales in Norway can at a glance remind a geek like myself of the Dalelands, even though I suspect the Dalelands are more "English". Anyway, is there are reference to the heights surrounding the various Dales?
Since they are dales they've got to be surrounded either by mountains or hills right? Heights.
So what are these heights separating the dales called, and how tall are they? The maps imply no mountains (aside from the Desertmouth), so I suppose wooded hills is what we're going for.
My apologies if the question has been asked before. I know I can look in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, The Dalelands and other sources, but I can't remember right now if there are that many heights / hills mentioned by name, and more importantly for the question, altitudes. Also sorry if I'm not making much sense, I've been having a little drink or three this fine evening.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caladan Brood Posted - 11 Jul 2013 : 07:47:50
All right, thank you for the reply. :) I'll have to make up some heights then.
George Krashos Posted - 11 Jul 2013 : 01:07:32
Well, for some of the Dales (High Dale, Archendale, Deepingdale) they border the Thunder Peaks, so it is easy to see a "valley" connection. Daggerdale similarly with the Desertsmouth Mtns and the Dagger Hills.

It's the internal dales like Mistledale, Featherdale, Scardale, Battledakle and Harrowdale and to a lesser extent Shadowdale that don't quite fit the definition. Perhaps by the time these "Dales" were founded, the term had become one of nomenclature, signifying an independent holding standing apart from the intrusive hegemony of Chondath and its colonies on the western coast of the Dragon Reach.

The question you pose also highlights the lack of hard historical information on the Dales. We don't even know when some of them were founded (i.e. the prescursor to Daggerdale, Merrydale). For such an integral and busy part of the Realms, this is an unfortunate historical black hole and evidence that no matter how fabulous a product GHotR was (and it was fabulous even if I do say so myself), an extra 12 months of development time (instead of the 8 weeks that the participators had) would have been a godsend.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000