Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 My silly questions for my realmslore quest.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caladan Brood Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 19:41:17
Okay I feel stupid for asking considering the growth spurt of my FR AD&D collection (which includes The Ruins of Zhentil Keep) but here goes:

How the heck do you recognize a Zhentarim? There are so many places in the sourcebooks where it is implied that characters recognize zhents upon sight, but I haven't found anything that unifies these guys (tabards, armor..?) What have I overlooked?

One additional question; is there an index compiling all adventures set in the Realms? Not just modules or Dungeon Magazine, but also adventures tucked away in boxed sets, and elsewhere?

Ack, a third question while I'm at it. I see in other threads (yes I do use the search function) that 'Doom of Daggerdale' is set in 1357. How can this be? Cyric is still a man, yet the blurb mentions Cyric as being worshipped.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xaeyruudh Posted - 09 Jun 2013 : 20:13:40
As for #2, I would venture a guess that nobody has accumulated a comprehensive list of every single adventure set in the Realms. There are separate lists of Dungeon adventures set in the Realms, modules set in the Realms, etc. I don't know the addresses of any of them offhand, but I'm sure someone here has links.

#3: I would agree that Doom of Daggerdale must be set in a post-ToT year, so 1358+.
xaeyruudh Posted - 09 Jun 2013 : 20:07:30
With regard to #4:

The places you mention (all except Collinwood I believe) were mentioned at least briefly in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, so they exist in the 2e timeframe. :)
Caladan Brood Posted - 09 Jun 2013 : 19:28:41
#4:
All right, question returned to the forefront of the olde brain.
I am about to teach some kids the game of AD&D/Forgotten Realms and decided to start them out in Eveningstar, Cormyr. While perusing various maps of Cormyr online I notice that more recent maps than the ones I have (2nd Ed AD&D books) have a WHOLE LOT more geographical locations than those I own; I see names I can't recall having read about before, like, uhm, Collinwood, Aunskpear, Gladehap, Kallamarn, Moonever, Blustich, Dreamer's Rock, Stagsteads to name a few, and I am wondering should I assume these locations also exist in the time period I am used to (say, 1355 DR - 1367 DR)? Or did these pop into existence at a later date?
I know I could just go with the good olde almost-empty maps but I am curious anyway. Also, trying to be as canonical as possible is pretty hard with this setting I've come to realize. I can buy the fact that new roads have been built and that new villages have sprung up in the century or so that WotC is ahead of me, though.
Caladan Brood Posted - 09 Jun 2013 : 16:04:17
All right, question 1 answered, then :) #2 & 3 still open. I had a number four question on my lips but it slipped away...like a zhent without a uniform.
MisterX Posted - 09 Jun 2013 : 15:48:15
A short quote from the Faerûn Campaign Setting (compare the entry to "Moonsea"):

Zhent: A person from Zhentil Keep or an adjective describing an origin in Zhentil Keep. "Zhentish" is incorrect and brings derision on the user even in places where Zhentil Keep and the Zhentarim are despised. Not all Zhents are members of the Zhentarim.
Zhentilar: A defunct term once used to distinguish the military forces of Zhentil Keep from the forces of the Zhentarim.
Zhentarim: A member of the Zhentarim secret society or the group as a whole. Zhentarim can be in the Zhent army or not.

So, in conclusion: You know the Zhentilar by their uniform. You know the Zhenatrim when they tell you they are when holding a knife at your throat. Finally, you know that Zhents come from Zhentil Keep. ;)
Eilserus Posted - 08 Jun 2013 : 02:41:24
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

They are the guys in the black hats.

-- George Krashos

+1 :)
George Krashos Posted - 08 Jun 2013 : 02:24:09
They are the guys in the black hats.

-- George Krashos
xaeyruudh Posted - 07 Jun 2013 : 18:17:14
For your first question, I think the terminology might be muddying the waters. If I'm remembering right, "Zhent" should theoretically refer to a citizen of Zhentil Keep, implying nothing about membership in the Zhentarim or the Zhentilar. However, casual usage by us players results in "Zhent" describing anyone of any of those three groups. Anyone can recognize a Zhentilar in full uniform, by tabard or maybe shield insignia or just the fact that he's marching in a regiment of fellows coming from Zhentil Keep or another Zhent-controlled area. Zhentarim, on the other hand, should not be readily recognizable by PCs or NPCs. Zhentarim have a vested interest in not being recognized, and they should employ disguises to appear unremarkable.

Edit: there are times when someone (Zhentarim or not) wants to use the fell reputation of the Black Network to improve his position in negotiations, or just to appear intimidating.

There are probably as many "this is how you recognize a Zhentarim" lists as there are towns in the Zhentarim's sphere of influence. Residents of Hluthvar will have a short list of ways you can tell; folks in Phlan have one too, etc. None of those lists are universally accurate, but people trying to appear to be a member of the Zhentarim can do so by tailoring their appearance to fit the local list.

This is just my understanding/opinion; not based on reading any particular source. YMMV.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000