Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Hidden Lords of Waterdeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ze Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 09:04:01
Hi,

I am making a list of the Lords on 1370 DR, based on Eric Boyd's CoS:W, where 12 hidden Lords are mentioned, beyond Piergeiron.
I have also been browsing several scrolls here, so I am already aware of Asper and Deliah the White, so they are in my list.
I am also using a couple of the Lords from the Candlekeep Compendiums, so my list accounts now for 16 hidden Lords, plus the Open Lord.

Here are my questions:

1) do you think that Taraunramorlamurla could be appointed as a hidden Lord? The rationale, to me, is that Khelben's mixed feelings towards Maaril could lead him to seek for balance within the Lords (according to CoS:W Khelben is diffident of the Dragon Mage, but we know that he trusts him to some degree a few years later, in Blackstaff).
However a dragon Lord could be a precedent they want to avoid, and it might mean that the Lords would get involved in the draconic groups balance within the city, which might be a bear they don't want to poke.
What do you think?

2) the common feeling in the scrolls I've been reading is that the Lords are now twenty, including the Open Lord. However, Eric writes in his book that the city is ruled by "Piergeiron the Paladinson, the Open Lord of Waterdeep, and twenty hidden Lords".
I take it that they are 20 + 1, or am I misreading?

Thanks for any help!
Ciao
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ze Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 22:24:59
Sorry, I had forgotten it all. :)

I don't remember the reason why I excluded your other two Lords at the moment, I simply wrote in my notes that they don't fit. Should go back and re-read them, but one good reason could well be that I don't want psionics in my game (any more) unless the players feels like studying the rulebook, which would not be the case in our current group.
Another point to keep in mind is that in my scenario Hlaavin has not substituted Nindil yet - it starts at the beginning of 1370 DR.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 21:21:31
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

You have a point on the lack of dedication of Taraunramorlamurla, her focus is probably not centered on the city by itself.
Another idea I had was Elaith, but I ruled it out for the moment. I want to complete Elaine's Harpers books before deciding.

I like your idea of Khelben cheating Hlaavin, and the way he handled the disclosure to the Unseen of the Lords' identities.
How did Khelben find out about Nindil, if you may share?

It's all in Sierkan Dahl's backstory. Sierkan's mentor was a powerful psionicist named Tayn Silbur, who had found out about the Unseen. A greater doppelganger was dispatched to kill Tayn. It succeeded, but Tayn cast his mind out of his body before he died. When the 'ganger assumed his form, Tayn attacked and overwhelmed its mind, taking over its body for himself. He realized he could now work against the Unseen from within, and told his apprentice, Sierkan, what he had discovered. This gave Khelben the info he needed, and the way to suborn the Unseen.

It also gave me a way to include a psionicist Lord.
Ze Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 20:45:45
You have a point on the lack of dedication of Taraunramorlamurla, her focus is probably not centered on the city by itself.
Another idea I had was Elaith, but I ruled it out for the moment. I want to complete Elaine's Harpers books before deciding.

I like your idea of Khelben cheating Hlaavin, and the way he handled the disclosure to the Unseen of the Lords' identities.
How did Khelben find out about Nindil, if you may share?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 18:57:34
I just re-read the info on Taraunramorlamurla, and she just doesn't strike me as the Lordly type. A Lord should be dedicated to Waterdeep, and I just don't see it, in this case.

If I was going to go for a dragon Lord, I'd likely go for a steel dragon. None immediately come to mind as being worthy Lords, but you could easily make your own, if you want.

In my own, personal version of the Realms, the roster of Lords has been -- temporarily, at least -- expanded to 24. The reason is because of the backstory of my Lord Sierkan Dahl, and Khelben finding out that Nindil Jalbuck is actually Hlaavin.

Rather than destroy Hlaavin and the Unseen outright, Khelben decides to take full advantage of Tayn Silbur having infiltrated the group. His first step is to involve a small number of the Lords, letting them know what's going on. With their approval and assistance, four more Lords were selected, that the larger group -- and "Nindil" in particular -- left unaware of this expansion. This means that even if Hlaavin moves quickly and unexpectedly against the Lords, there are still some he won't know about.

Khelben also modified Nindil's Lord's Effects, using the excuse that he is improving their protections -- actually he's making sure the protections on Nindil's goodies can be turned off, and can't be duplicated.

Using Tayn, Khelben plans on suborning the Unseen, letting them be something like the Red Sashes -- opponents of the Lords who are actually and unknowingly working for them. Khelben's plan is to replace/get rid of those Unseen that are in sensitive positions, help Tayn move up the hierarchy of the Unseen to a leadership position, and then arrange an unfortunate accident for Nindil. Tayn can then take over the group, and under his control, keep them from becoming too much of a threat to the city -- instead making them a weapon against other threats.
Ze Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 13:06:16
Yeah, good work with them btw!

I use Terielle - who fits in perfectly with my Rat Hills line of events - and Aerys.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 13:02:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

I am also using a couple of the Lords from the Candlekeep Compendiums, so my list accounts now for 16 hidden Lords, plus the Open Lord.

I, personally, am glad to hear this. Which ones are you using?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000