Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Banite Cleric Initiation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Calrond Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 03:15:11
I am running a solo campaign in which the player will be soon joining a cleric of Bane in his efforts on the Sword Coast North, and in doing so will also become a cleric of Bane herself. I'm curious as to whether there is any published information related to the rituals or trials that a prospective Banite cleric must go through before their investiture.

And if there are no rituals, rites, or trials published, what would fellow DMs recommend would be fitting rituals to initiate someone into the clergy of Bane?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Bane Posted - 26 Feb 2013 : 08:45:50
Trivially, the lowest rank within the banite clergy, as stated by Faiths and Avatars, is titled Slave. It does not mean that they are really a slave, but that the role of a new innitiate is close to one as he is subject to the whims of higher ranking clergy like a slave would be to his master. That does not mean they are all "do this or i smite you", you can have higher ranking clergy to be skilled speech holders who can win over masses, other may use their wits in organisation to carve out a certain level of power over others. Tyranny always makes one think it is "power over the weak" mostly physical power, yet there are other aspects of how one can enact control over others.
The Masked Mage Posted - 26 Feb 2013 : 07:42:44
I would say that even the lowest of Banes clerics are above slave status. Bane would never grant a spell to a slave. I would say that within the Hierarchy of the priesthood there is a definite tyrannical power structure, but at every level you have another slightly less powerful tyrant.
Calrond Posted - 26 Feb 2013 : 04:06:42
I like the cut of your jib, pal. I could definitely see those sorts of things as being par for the course of initiation into the Banite priesthood. And my gaming group has dealt with similar situations before, so it won't be too much for them to handle.
The Arcanamach Posted - 25 Feb 2013 : 02:04:32
I've always seen Bane as a sadistic...ahem...BDSM Master par excellence, so I would see an acolyte being initiated into the clergy by having to fill the roll (first) of slave...because we are all slaves to Bane's power! and then (second) as a Master...the better to demonstrate Bane's power to all other slaves!

In other words, one must endure and then master all of the elements of domination. From the blunt to the subtle use of power, mastering torture techniques (physical, mental, and emotional) with one's crowning achievement being the ability to brainwash another being...especially those devoted to other (false) gods.

The budding initiate would not learn all of these things at first as the mastery of such skills takes years of practice. Instead, the initiate would have to endure humiliations that aren't considered polite discussion here at the Library (though privately among fellow scribes and sages okay).
Calrond Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 21:10:01
Thanks for the help everyone. Interestingly enough, I am running this campaign in 1367 DR, before Bane reemerged from Iyachtu Xvim. Part of the mystery in this campaign is who or what is granting these clerics their spells if they are only praying to Bane, or are rumors of Bane's death highly exaggerated? That's what my players will have to figure out.
Lord Bane Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 12:43:00
Lords of Darkness, the 3rd edition one, has an entry on the Church of Bane and is describing two rituals who may be of interest to you, Ritual of Terrorīs Allegiance and the Rite of Dread Presence.
crazedventurers Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 11:27:26
quote:
Originally posted by Calrond

I am running a solo campaign in which the player will be soon joining a cleric of Bane in his efforts on the Sword Coast North, and in doing so will also become a cleric of Bane herself. I'm curious as to whether there is any published information related to the rituals or trials that a prospective Banite cleric must go through before their investiture.

And if there are no rituals, rites, or trials published, what would fellow DMs recommend would be fitting rituals to initiate someone into the clergy of Bane?

There is loads of info on Banite rituals, practices and other church activity in Ed's excellent Halls of the High King module that you can use as a basis for the faith.

It is probably the single best module (and sourcebook!) that has been published for the Realms, (except for the unedited version of the Haunted Halls of course!)

For me its a must buy product for the Realms.

Cheers

Damian
ps am unsure if the PDF has arrived on dndclassics.com yet?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 04:45:16
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Bane is dead, that said clearly death or at least domination of another would be required to prove faithfulness.

He came back in 3E. Or at least, it appears he came back. The name is being used again, even if the original symbol and colors aren't.
Kentinal Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 03:42:30
Bane is dead, that said clearly death or at least domination of another would be required to prove faithfulness.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000