Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dwarven Clerics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rils Posted - 19 Nov 2012 : 19:54:21
I was reading in Demihuman Deities the other day, and found this curious statement on pg 226:

"Dwarven priests try to hide their class from nondwarves. When they must cast spells, they try to do so from hiding or from a distance. They have generally succeeded in keeping the understanding of their
spells or even recognition of their existence secret from most nondwarves in Faerun. This is particularly true in the North, where
dwarves walk more softly and more often live among nondwarves. Dwarven priests may dress and act as nonclerical dwarves do and
often try to keep worship and rituals hidden from nondwarven eyes."

Has anyone ever played them this way? As NPCs I could imagine this being an interesting thing to do, but as PC, I could see it being somewhat awkward. I feel like your adventuring buddies would at some point wonder about your absence for an hour every morning while you pray, and you'd need a veritable book of responses for comments like "so, I can't help but notice that you just turned those undead..."

So, yeah, just curious if/how you guys have handled this.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dwarvenranger Posted - 02 Dec 2012 : 02:22:39
Rules As Written
vorpalanvil Posted - 29 Nov 2012 : 07:17:24
RAW?
Markustay Posted - 27 Nov 2012 : 14:13:20
I had the exact opposite situation. Back in 2e, I had a dwarf that was a Wizard, and posed as a cleric so no-one knew what he really was. His 'prayer book' was really his spellbook. Only one player caught-on right away; it took the others a couple of sessions. Good times.

And how I was able to do that in RAW is that he was a human dwarf, who was 'sold to the circus' as a child, and raised by real dwarven performers in that circus (where he became a very good thief, since the circus was a cover for a wandering troupe of thieves). He learned to speak and act dwarven, and even grew a healthy beard. One day he was picking the pocket of a mage and a wand went off, and rather then get angry, the mage was amazed to discover a dwarf who could 'do magic', and bought him off the circus and trained him as an apprentice (he never did realize it was merely a human with a deformity).

So I've done the 'hiding in plain site' thing, but not quite the same way.
vorpalanvil Posted - 27 Nov 2012 : 12:20:47
Short of giant holy symbols, a warrior and a priest look quite the same. I ran a game a few years ago in 1361 DR in Silverymoon. One PC was a Dwarven priest of Marthamoor Duin and I basically had the churches activities go on behind the closed doors of other dwarven establishments. Not to hide them from the folk of Silverymoon, but to hide them from the enemies of dwarf-kind, who are numerous and beligerent.
The Arcanamach Posted - 21 Nov 2012 : 16:20:00
I didn't know about this either despite dwarven clerics being a favorite build of mine (I usually don't play clerics at all though). I agree with Jeremy, it's an interesting roleplaying possibility, but I would never try to enforce such a thing.

As for dwarves being 'nonmagical' I tend to like my dwarves that way. But recently I've had a real itch to play a dwarven wizard. The concept has really started to grow on me. Although in my campaign dwarven wizards will remain exceedingly rare.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 19 Nov 2012 : 22:04:48
Didn't really know about it. That said, had I known about it I would have ignore it wholesale. Seems like an outgrowth of the rules relic about dwarves not being magically inclined. Boo and spit on that.

I can appreciate playing an understated cleric; that sounds like a fun roleplaying opportunity. But as a player or DM, I wouldn't enforce it or follow it as some sort of norm.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 19 Nov 2012 : 20:48:29
One of my players, a cleric of Dumathoin plays just like this! They are catching on, the other players, but I find it very cool and fun!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000