Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Necromancer and the total # of HD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nicolai Withander Posted - 11 Nov 2012 : 22:43:58
Hello again all...

I have looked and looked again to try to find the "total" number of HD of undead a necromancer can have under his command.
(When say necromancer I mean any class, like cleric or wiz or dread necro). But it seems as if, that it depends so much on how this control is taken/ gained.

Spells like Command, Control or Summon undead, it seems, gives an unlimited number of HD. Whereas Animate gives up to twice the level of the necromancer in HD of undead. And lastly, the Command Undead ability gained through Rebuke Undead only gives up to the level of the necromancer.

Have I understood this correctly or is there a hidden, combined total number of HD that a Necromancer can have under his command/control???

THX

PS. Personally I would prefer some sort of rule, where a Necromancer had a fixed number of HD based on level and char bonus, but thats just me.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kyrel Posted - 15 Nov 2012 : 22:26:34
quote:

I was thinking a litle bit higher than that... More like 2+ charisma modifier x level.

Or else a level 20 necromancer, would never be able to have an army of high HD undead.

From a cinematic perspective I'd agree with you, but from a game balance perspective I'd argue that it's a fairly good thing that the average PC can't command his own private army of hundreds of high HD undead. That being said, however, a 20th lvl. Dread Necromancer with that Rod thing that increases the amount of HD worth of Undead they can control, can still control a rather substantial amount of Undead creatures. Though I'll grant you that he can't control a cinematic horde of thousands of zombies and skeletons, as well as plenty of other undead monstrocities. 100+HD worth of undead (as I recall being possible) is still pretty decent though. At least IMO.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 12 Nov 2012 : 21:46:59
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I think you're understanding the spell descriptions correctly.

I would be fine with a DM imposing a your-level-or-lower limit, to prevent a 3rd level wizard from having a lich minion for 3 days. Then again, if the lich fails its save... it deserves to be humiliated.

There are some limits, like the fact that command undead is essentially a charm spell rather than a dominate spell, and control undead has a very short duration, and 3rd level characters probably won't get close enough to a lich to test their luck.

I was thinking a litle bit higher than that... More like 2+ charisma modifier x level.

Or else a level 20 necromancer, would never be able to have an army of high HD undead.
xaeyruudh Posted - 12 Nov 2012 : 02:30:43
I think you're understanding the spell descriptions correctly.

I would be fine with a DM imposing a your-level-or-lower limit, to prevent a 3rd level wizard from having a lich minion for 3 days. Then again, if the lich fails its save... it deserves to be humiliated.

There are some limits, like the fact that command undead is essentially a charm spell rather than a dominate spell, and control undead has a very short duration, and 3rd level characters probably won't get close enough to a lich to test their luck.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000