Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Scepter of the Netherworld

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nicolai Withander Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 10:57:47
Hello...

I was just wondering... Does the scepter of the Netherworld, which gives you the power to turn and rebuke as if your character was 3 levels higher, give you a 3 level bonus of commanding undead as well???

Would a level 5 cleric be able to command a HD 4 undead, if he was carrying the scepter???

Thx
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kyrel Posted - 15 Nov 2012 : 22:12:34
You know, I've just been reading over the Turn and Rebuke undead rules from the core book again, and I'll allow myself to quote the section. Hopefully I don't break the rules of the forum in doing so. If I do, my appologies.

Evil clerics channel negative energy to rebuke (awe) or command
(control) undead rather than channeling positive energy to turn or
destroy them. An evil cleric makes the equivalent of a turning
check. Undead that would be turned are rebuked instead, and those
that would be destroyed are commanded.

Based on this, I'm actually tempted to say that if something makes a reference to "Turn/Rebuke", then it by default also makes a reference to "Destroy/Command", as this is basically "Turn/Rebuke" with a better dice roll. The Improved Turning feat adds 1 effective level to the turning/rebuking cleric. Thus a Turning Check of i.e. 10-12 would normally result in being able to turn/rebuke an Undead equal to the Cleric's own level. With the Improved Turning feat the same check result would be the Cleric's level +1.

With regards to the Scepter of the Netherworld, after re-reading the Turning rules, I would have to say that the Scepter works like the Improved Turning feat, except that it adds a +3 bonus to the Cleric's level, rather than +1.

As for a Level 5 Cleric turning/destroying a 4HD undead, that would be possible. All he would have to do would be to roll high enough on the turning check and the subsequent "Turning Damage" test. A Turning Test result of 7-9 would allow him to turn undead of up to 5-1=4HD, and a roll of 4+ on the Turning Damage test would allow the Cleric to turn one 4HD undead. Frankly a Level 1 Cleric can turn a 4HD undead with a good enough roll.

Nicolai Withander Posted - 11 Nov 2012 : 21:37:42
How then to increase your command ability???

I was thinking about the Improved Turning feat, that gives a plus 1 level effect to turning or rebukeing. That surely must also count for commanding. Yes?
Markustay Posted - 09 Nov 2012 : 16:02:37
Yeah, agreed.

Usually, the rule of thumb is "the omission of a piece of information is not proof to the contrary" (and lord knows I had enough arguments with Lord Karsus on that sore point).

Appltying that, you can't just assume that if the item does something similar to something else, every other aspect is also similar to that something else. Thats faulty logic.
Kyrel Posted - 09 Nov 2012 : 15:53:50
Personally I would say No. The description of the item only makes references to a bonus when the character uses the Turn or Rebuke action itself. I do not believe that it indicates that you gain any bonus on your ability to command undead.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 17:05:14
Magic Item Compendium and Libris Mortis!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 14:42:33
Dunno, need to read the description of the item. Where is it described?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000