Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lovecraftian Entities in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mr Dark Posted - 22 Sep 2012 : 19:27:09
My players are currently investigating a shipwreck along the coast of the Lizard Marsh. In the marsh they found an alter that was used by cultists of Dagon and have now fought them once. I have plans for a hidden town in the marsh that is made up of cultists and hybrids and they will find that they have infiltrated Daggerford and other places along the Sword Coast.

I was thinking about making the Lovecraftian 'gods' the true primordials and connected to the so-called creator races. Beyond that I was wondering if any other Realms Deities would be appropriate for the campaign and if there were any special monsters I should use?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Andrekan Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 03:32:42
Done this sort of adventure back in the late 1990's but I based it on the "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" which dealt with a local Lord in Daggerford, around DR 1372, who had concern for a fishing village near Lizard Marsh. Upon investigation the adventurers found that there was something offshore affecting the population there. Unfortunately for the party, they took too long trying to figure out what was going on and most of the village became slaves to the Kraken Society, which pretty much Abolethic Sovereignty at the time. Scared the crap out of the players, who were actually hunting a necromancer, who was hiding out in the swamps and wanted to make some extra gold from the local Duke or Lord. But I must say, it made for a great back drop and the villagers pulled the players into their story. I as a DM, had read this Lovecraft, but these players had no clue. Very fun but it seems like the village burnt down before it was over and the players were wanted as pillagers and murderers. They ended up trying to escape through Laughing Falls but the Brownie and Sprites had an even funny tale to tell.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 15:31:24
I ran a campaign (a several-years-long one) in which an Elder Evil's efforts to manifest on the Material were the driving antagonistic force.

Without going into super-detail one of the premises I used was that Jubilex was the high priest of Ghaunadar; and it had co-opted Talona (with her petty jealousy for the other Dark Gods being used to 'corrupt' her) and her mortal servants (along with those of Jubilex, Ghaunadar, and many demons) being the forces the PC's were facing. The fun thing about this is that Bane et.al. don't want to see this succeed any more than Tyr does.

I threw in a few hints along the way that Moander had been the previous tool that the Elder Evil had used to try to 'break through' into the Prime, and had been foiled, just to let the PCs know that it was possible for mortals to do so.
EytanBernstein Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 19:24:22
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks. I know a little about Starcraft, even though I never played it (I'm a big Blizzard fan). The Zerg sound like they are superficially based on the other Scify races I mentioned (I guess that's a common theme in Scify, which is probably why I went there with my aberrations). I am also thinking about Species 8472 from Star Trek - the only race that ever made the Borg crap themselves (if Borg even do that). More along the lines of where they come from (Fluidic Space - I picture the Far Realms part of the universe being something akin to that). Throw in a little War of the Worlds and Independence Day for goals and its pure win (a locust-like race that invades normal space to drain its resources).

I will have to look into The Slayers, Eytan - I am unfamiliar with that one. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Oh - and I can't help myself - I have to give away one more thing from my version; the 'squiddies' (second form) can devour a human head and attach itself to the victim's body... those are my Illithid.

The aberratons are psionic, and can literally 'steal' DNA* (and memories) from creatures they touch (and adapt abilites/appendages/etc from victims). 'Shifters' (Dopplegangers) are actually human-Aberration hybrids. Its a little more complicated then that, but you get the idea. I've tied it all to vamps and lycanthropes as well.

For a guy who dislikes aberrations, I tied some of the most basic premises of my world to them. I wanted a 'scientificy' explanation for why most anything can interbreed, and also for things like feats (which can grant supernatural abilities at higher levels). Basically, 'Morphic Blood' was my version of Plaguescars/Cinnabar Inheritor/Dragonmarks (and why PCs are 'special').

*This part is somewhat similar to what the aliens do in the Alien movies, and as a counterpoint to the aberrations, I've turned the Gith into Predators.

If you do look it up, stick to the main three seasons - The Slayers, The Slayers Next, and The Slayers Try.

I'm not a fan of any of the movies.
Mr Dark Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 21:52:20
That is an interesting take on the Aboleths.
Markustay Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 19:33:30
Thanks. I know a little about Starcraft, even though I never played it (I'm a big Blizzard fan). The Zerg sound like they are superficially based on the other Scify races I mentioned (I guess that's a common theme in Scify, which is probably why I went there with my aberrations). I am also thinking about Species 8472 from Star Trek - the only race that ever made the Borg crap themselves (if Borg even do that). More along the lines of where they come from (Fluidic Space - I picture the Far Realms part of the universe being something akin to that). Throw in a little War of the Worlds and Independence Day for goals and its pure win (a locust-like race that invades normal space to drain its resources).

I will have to look into The Slayers, Eytan - I am unfamiliar with that one. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Oh - and I can't help myself - I have to give away one more thing from my version; the 'squiddies' (second form) can devour a human head and attach itself to the victim's body... those are my Illithid.

The aberratons are psionic, and can literally 'steal' DNA* (and memories) from creatures they touch (and adapt abilites/appendages/etc from victims). 'Shifters' (Dopplegangers) are actually human-Aberration hybrids. Its a little more complicated then that, but you get the idea. I've tied it all to vamps and lycanthropes as well.

For a guy who dislikes aberrations, I tied some of the most basic premises of my world to them. I wanted a 'scientificy' explanation for why most anything can interbreed, and also for things like feats (which can grant supernatural abilities at higher levels). Basically, 'Morphic Blood' was my version of Plaguescars/Cinnabar Inheritor/Dragonmarks (and why PCs are 'special').

*This part is somewhat similar to what the aliens do in the Alien movies, and as a counterpoint to the aberrations, I've turned the Gith into Predators.
LastStand Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 18:37:53
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:

I'm not big on Aboleths, but I have managed to re-tool them, and all other aberrations, into something I prefer.

They are all one 'race' (if such a thing even applies to aberrations), but with different tasks/specialities, sort of like the Bugs in Starship Troopers (great novel... crap movies), or like the Moties in A Mote in God's Eye (fanastic book by Larry Niven... I love most anything he writes).

So its not so much a 'race' in the modern sense of the word, but more like a genus (in the same way we and Apes are both related to some proto-sapien). Most of the redesign was done with my own setting in-mind; I had to re-think a lot of stuff so that I could use some of the D&D IP without using the actual names (because I intended to do my own thing with everything). I understand Paizo took a similar route (although my stuff is quite different from theirs).

However, in a way, its also still a single race - they evolve from a common pupa/larvae into something resembling a squid, and from there evolve into different specialized forms. Ergo (my) aberrations are the perfect candidate for racial leveling, as opposed to 'class', because with them, it amounts to much the same thing. For instance, some of the 'squiddies' develop eyes on the tips of their tentacles, and eventually learn to levitate - that would be a proto-beholder. As they gain in power (level), they develop the various eyestalk abilities (and can even grow more stalks).

So, even though I am not a huge fan of Lovecraftian horrors, I have made them into something I would use in my D&D games (I have tons more lore about them, but I am saving that... just in case).

There's a similar concept to this in the anime series The Slayers. There is a race of beings known as Monsters that have a wide variety of powers and abilities, but are all governed under certain specific rules.

Also reminds me of the zerg in Star Craft - all the different 'units' evolve from larva. A good concept ya have their, Markustay. I like it.
EytanBernstein Posted - 24 Sep 2012 : 18:08:32
quote:

I'm not big on Aboleths, but I have managed to re-tool them, and all other aberrations, into something I prefer.

They are all one 'race' (if such a thing even applies to aberrations), but with different tasks/specialities, sort of like the Bugs in Starship Troopers (great novel... crap movies), or like the Moties in A Mote in God's Eye (fanastic book by Larry Niven... I love most anything he writes).

So its not so much a 'race' in the modern sense of the word, but more like a genus (in the same way we and Apes are both related to some proto-sapien). Most of the redesign was done with my own setting in-mind; I had to re-think a lot of stuff so that I could use some of the D&D IP without using the actual names (because I intended to do my own thing with everything). I understand Paizo took a similar route (although my stuff is quite different from theirs).

However, in a way, its also still a single race - they evolve from a common pupa/larvae into something resembling a squid, and from there evolve into different specialized forms. Ergo (my) aberrations are the perfect candidate for racial leveling, as opposed to 'class', because with them, it amounts to much the same thing. For instance, some of the 'squiddies' develop eyes on the tips of their tentacles, and eventually learn to levitate - that would be a proto-beholder. As they gain in power (level), they develop the various eyestalk abilities (and can even grow more stalks).

So, even though I am not a huge fan of Lovecraftian horrors, I have made them into something I would use in my D&D games (I have tons more lore about them, but I am saving that... just in case).

There's a similar concept to this in the anime series The Slayers. There is a race of beings known as Monsters that have a wide variety of powers and abilities, but are all governed under certain specific rules.
Gray Richardson Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 22:42:06
See page 177 of Lords of Madness.

The most obvious one for the Realms is Ghaunadaur.
Then the granddaddy of all evil is Tharizdun, the imprisoned god.
Then you have Ilsensine, god of Mind Flayers.
The Great Mother, god of Beholders.
The Patient One.
Mak Thuum Ngatha, the Nine-Tongued Worm.

Also, the 5 elder evils of the Aboleths (see page 27):
Piscaethces, The Blood Queen
Bolothamogg, Him Who Watches from Beyond the Stars
Holashner, The Hunger Below
Shothotugg, Eater of Worlds
Y’chak, The Violet Flame

Mr Dark Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 22:09:47
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Perhaps you could tie the Dragonking into this, somehow...

The entry for the magical Dragonking's Eye artifact -- referenced in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical -- suggested an alien entity that came from "beyond." Eric Boyd continued with the reference into CoS:W and made a more solid connection to the Far Realm. The Far Realm focus on House Wands was "barely hinted at" in VGtATM, as I recall, too, so that might be another angle you'll want to play, given your focus on the Sword Coast.

However, with regard to the Dragonking's Eye... since the defeat of the Dragonking [after it was released by Marcus Wands], it's been noted that the alien god's release has resulted in an unusual effect occuring in the Realms. Strange entities from the Far Realm have slowly began appearing within the local vicinity of individual members of House Wands, and almost always at random.

So, for the most part, it would seem as though the Wands family have garnered some rather "undesired" attention from the bizarre creatures of the Outside Realm. Perhaps something else you might be able to use.

Interesting, I will have to look into that one. I was also perusing Lords of Darkness and think House Karanok would be a good pattern for families that worship these entities. Having a few noble families that have worshiped these entities for generations would not be unheard of. The Wands family could work as a type for families that have opposed the former for generations.
Markustay Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 21:56:38

Marc Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 20:01:52
Phaerimm and sharns seem a like a combination of the flying polyps and yithians
Mr Dark Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 19:43:17
Thanks for the ideas. Our game was cancelled this weekend due to a family emergency so I am using the time to get some more meat on the idea.

I am porting in the Esoteric Order of Dagon as a secret society operating along the Sword Coast. They have lodges/temples hidden in the major cities along the coast and have even infiltrated the government of Waterdeep. I have a group of aboleths that are in charge of the order but they remain hidden as of now.

Beyond the Sword Coast I figured that Nyarlathotep would be a good fit for Thay and the Red Wizards are part of his cult. To me, this makes the Thayan enclaves much more sinister and a bigger threat than originally thought.

Beyond that I have Lolth being another name for Atlach-Nacha, cults of entities like Shub-Niggurath operating in various locations and Yig being worshiped in the Chult region.

As for their nature, I see these entities being the true primordials. Since my version of the Realms will never see the spellplague I'm going to come up with a framework of how they came to Faerun from places like the Far Realm or the deeps of space. BTW I don't do spelljammer either so I have some freedom with working that part up.

What I don't want is to make this an overt part of the world as I see it as just another facet of Toril. However, I do see a point where there will be revelations that some of the archdevils and gods are actually covers for these entities.

This is a work in progress so keep the ideas coming.
Lord Bane Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 12:19:10
Depending on the time period you have your game set, if it is post-Spellplague you can easily use the Abolethic Sovereingty as part of this conspiracy. If it is pre-Spellplague you may consider throwing in the Kraken Society or even have the Night Parade or Malaugrym play a part.
If you wish to have your group travel towards the Evermoors you could incorporate The Tolstoffs as described in the Exemplars of Evil book or take a look at the Elder Evils if you wish to add a "world is doomed" scenario.
Mapolq Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 02:35:14
I think Kuo-toa are the clearest monster choice here. They're very likely based on the Deep Ones.
The Sage Posted - 23 Sep 2012 : 01:57:49
Perhaps you could tie the Dragonking into this, somehow...

The entry for the magical Dragonking's Eye artifact -- referenced in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical -- suggested an alien entity that came from "beyond." Eric Boyd continued with the reference into CoS:W and made a more solid connection to the Far Realm. The Far Realm focus on House Wands was "barely hinted at" in VGtATM, as I recall, too, so that might be another angle you'll want to play, given your focus on the Sword Coast.

However, with regard to the Dragonking's Eye... since the defeat of the Dragonking [after it was released by Marcus Wands], it's been noted that the alien god's release has resulted in an unusual effect occuring in the Realms. Strange entities from the Far Realm have slowly began appearing within the local vicinity of individual members of House Wands, and almost always at random.

So, for the most part, it would seem as though the Wands family have garnered some rather "undesired" attention from the bizarre creatures of the Outside Realm. Perhaps something else you might be able to use.
BEAST Posted - 22 Sep 2012 : 21:12:33
Aboleths and illithids/mindflayers, for starters.

Somehow, I think a sneering matron mother of one of the fish-themed drow houses would be right up Lovecraft's alley, as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000