Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Regeneration effect on aging?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 19:35:14
Was just wondering if anyone has come across information on whether or not creatures with regeneration are effectively immortal or at least have longer lifespans?

There's a chance some of the war trolls in an adventure I'm running (Into the Dragon's Lair) will survive/escape and I'm starting to wonder how long they'll live (and have lived).
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Delwa Posted - 05 Jul 2012 : 17:10:51
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If you allow a creature to repair from massive wounds that requires an awful lot of cell division which would age said creature faster, unless you could keep the dna in perfect condition (which obviously doesn’t happen since the creature does die of old age.
I think you just identified where magic works in creatures with regeneration abilities.

Based on your comments, I think the idea of aging through regeneration would be a good (albeit nasty) surprise for someone using a flawed, damaged or cursed Ring of Regeneration. Or maybe the creator of the item simply assumed he’d perfected the regeneration effect on the first try, without realizing what he really did was create a ring that ages you faster for every wound you take.

The curse could be that the "perfected" method of Regeneration regenerates via cell division. Whereas, normally, regeneration occours by "creating" adjoining cells out of thin air (or by transfering the atoms in the air into cells.... )
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 05 Jul 2012 : 16:32:21
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If you allow a creature to repair from massive wounds that requires an awful lot of cell division which would age said creature faster, unless you could keep the dna in perfect condition (which obviously doesn’t happen since the creature does die of old age.
I think you just identified where magic works in creatures with regeneration abilities.

Based on your comments, I think the idea of aging through regeneration would be a good (albeit nasty) surprise for someone using a flawed, damaged or cursed Ring of Regeneration. Or maybe the creator of the item simply assumed he’d perfected the regeneration effect on the first try, without realizing what he really did was create a ring that ages you faster for every wound you take.

In the adventure I’m running, there are elves who keep trolls as guardians; those trolls being outfitted with good armor and weapons and trained by the elves (and each other) in battle and a millennia-old version of elvish. I think trolls ought to age out and die about where humans do, but one or more of these particular monsters have been modified by the resident wizard among the elves to age as elves do (so the elves don’t have to keep re-training the trolls to serve them properly).
Ayrik Posted - 05 Jul 2012 : 06:27:44
Where are any details about aging trolls listed in D&D or FR canon?
Markustay Posted - 05 Jul 2012 : 00:31:38
Great point Dazzlerdal.

Maybe all trolls would live 300+ years, but because they are constantly getting wounded (and the effect Dazzlerdal describes above occurs), their lifespans are greatly diminished. Scrags run into far less competition/combat/bigger monsters/adventurers in the sea then their land-based cousins.

So theoretically, a troll that is a pacifist and keeps itself safe and secure could live to be 1000 (like Elves).
Kentinal Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 22:44:12
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

For what it's worth, scrags are listed as having a lifespan of 300+. What the plus turns out to be is unknown. They are called "the undying" for a reason, I suppose.

Well still remains is one way to kill them, old age *Grin*
Hoondatha Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 22:37:14
For what it's worth, scrags are listed as having a lifespan of 300+. What the plus turns out to be is unknown. They are called "the undying" for a reason, I suppose.
Diffan Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 22:30:57
The way I see it is that you still have a lifespan and once it's reached, your going to pass. Regeneration, to me, just fixes huge problems or lost limbs. You'll be the most fit person when you pass because of the ability, but you will pass.
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 21:44:03
Just from a biological point of view, accelerating the repair process and allowing repairing of injuries which would not normally be recoverable from would actually reduce the lifespan of a creature.

Everytime a cell divides the end piece of dna gets a tiny bit smaller which results in genes being lost or damaged (which is how we age).

If you allow a creature to repair from massive wounds that requires an awful lot of cell division which would age said creature faster, unless you could keep the dna in perfect condition (which obviously doesnt happen since the creature does die of old age.

It would not be unreasonable to add in a house rule that for every 100 hp of damage healed through a ring of regeneration the creature's life is shortened by one year.

But maybe that would be mixing real world science and fictional world magic a little bit too much.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 20:07:59
Thank you both.
Markustay Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 19:58:53
Seems a bit odd, but I guess for game mechanics it has to be that way.

In comics/TV/movies usually regen = immortal. For natural healers like trolls, I suppose you could say they have an extra organ in their bodies - one that wears-out after a time, just like any other organ. Creatures with magical regeneration should be immortal (can't think of any off the top of my head that aren't).
Kentinal Posted - 04 Jul 2012 : 19:38:47
Regeneration is repair only in all versions I have read, will not extend life. Best that can be hoped for when dying at 80+ (if human) that body was as fit as possible.

Oh Trolls do die of old age, if not killed by fire or acid, etc. Troll life I believed reaches 80 years as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000