Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lolth and Graz'zt

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Imp Posted - 28 Jun 2012 : 23:00:01
How likely would be that Lolth and Graz'zt would ally with each other?
And assuming they would, what benefits could they gain from such an alliance?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Derulbaskul Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 07:09:38
quote:
Originally posted by Imp
How likely would be that Lolth and Graz'zt would ally with each other? And assuming they would, what benefits could they gain from such an alliance?

The 3.5E adventure Expedition to the Demonweb Pits was based on such an alliance.

I expect that they ally with each other frequently and betray each other just as frequently without any rancour as it's precisely both of their natures to do so.

That said, I expect Graz'zt to play a slightly longer game than Lolth (he is the most diabolic of the demons after all, whether or not you agree with the 4E version of his backstory).

I suspect that Graz'zt openly appreciates drow society, particularly the picture that Gary Gygax gave us in the outstanding Vault of the Drow. I further suspect that Graz'zt sees himself as a more than appropriate deity for the drow. (And, indeed, that is one of the long-term goals of Graz'zt in my Realms.)

While I can see a reason for Graz'zt wanting to ally with Lolth, I cannot see a reason for Lolth to want to ally with Graz'zt. He's more cunning than she is - IMO/YMMV - and has far more experience with abyssal politics and power games. Then again, perhaps she is threatened by a rising cult of Orcus or even Demogorgon amongst the drow and that might cause her to find common cause with the Dark Prince for a time.

The Epic Tier adventures being putting out by the LFR (www.livingforgottenrealms.com) have an interesting plotline involving Lolth and Graz'zt. In the latest adventure, the Demonweb Pits is starting to unravel because Graz'zt arranged for a splinter of the Shard of the Abyss (a 4E invention) in the heart of the Demonweb Pits. This is causing the 'Pits to unravel as they try to return to their original location in the Abyss and has the potential to severely weaken Lolth. (I realise this doesn't address any of the questions you have raised but it's an interesting idea, IMO.)
Markustay Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 05:09:02
I had forgotten about that - its been so long since I ran that one.

Still, demons are chaotic. They may not bother to hold grudges for as long as devils do (they may not even have the focus to hold a grudge).

Of course, both Lolth and Graz'zt are VERY exceptional demons.
archmagestar Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 04:46:21
They would most likely never get along. Graz'zt attempted to ally other demon lords against Loth in Expedition to the Demon Web Pits.
Markustay Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 03:16:04
In anther thread, I theorized that they are siblings, and both children on Pale Night. Nothing canonical, mind you.

So obviously I think they'd be willing to work together.

EDIT: And after a quick read on Pale Night, I just discovered Rhyxali, who is supposedly a sibling on Graz'zt. I had theorized that Lolth was an ancient power who only poised as Araushnee - what if she and Rhyxali are one and the same?

Now look at her write-up... is it any wonder her and Shar are going to 'throw down' in 5e?

'IF' they are one and the same, of course. With deities, this actually doesn't mean all that much (not like it does amongst mortals - deities absorb others and change over time).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000