Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Sembia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razz Posted - 24 Jun 2012 : 19:25:38
Yes, I did a search here and, as expected, a ton of pages with the word "Sembia" in it so I had to start this thread for a compilation.

I need to know all the best resources for Sembia, my fellow Realms sages. About to run a game with a buddy that's playing a tiefling rogue that's recently come to the shores of this nation from Thay. I feel like I've given Sembia little thought throughout my years as a Realms DM and want to rectify that.

Much appreciated!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razz Posted - 26 Jun 2012 : 22:09:10
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You know, Razz, a quick search of the archives I've stored on my HD show that you've asked this question several times over the past six years. I've got a thread saved from the Wizards' boards that's dated from March 2006.

Really?

I can admit I do remember asking it on the WotC forums once, but don't recall asking anything about Sembia here. If so, it was probably so long ago, I no longer remembered why I asked.

It was probably one of those circumstances where I had PCs in the region or was planning to run a campaign in the region, asked about it, and then the campaign fell through and I totally just forgot about it afterwards.

In all honesty, I don't do it on purpose. I ask for what I need at the time. If I do recall asking a particular question, I'm sure I follow it up with "I may have asked this before."
Markustay Posted - 25 Jun 2012 : 15:23:40
Yeah, Sembia is pretty damn bare, lore-wise, despite being next to two of the most well-detailed Realms areas (Cormyr and The Dales). Even when I find other locales in canon, I don't have names or enough details to place them (like the one in the story A Wringing of Hands in Realms of Infamy).

Anyone knowing of any I may have missed, please let me know. I definitely don't have any Polyhedron stuff.
The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2012 : 06:33:35
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

You have years of Candlekeep stored on your local drives, Sage?

Just the most important discussion scrolls, and tidbits from various designers/writers, stretching back to about late 2002/early 2003.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jun 2012 : 03:44:17
Personally, in my upcoming new campaign in the Realms which features the Five Shires, Sembia is going to be much like The Republic of Darokin. While it is going to stay Sembia, much of its government and even the Merchant Class is going to be run like the RoD.

I've always felt that Sembia fit really well into that sort of government honestly. It will also allow my players to dabble more fully in trade by using the Trading Rules in the Republic of Darokin supplement too!

I don't see anything wrong with a 7th level character having hundreds of thousands of gold in resources at their disposal! Adventure doesn't always have to be about money then...it can be about magic...it can be about daring...or just about revenge!
idilippy Posted - 25 Jun 2012 : 03:37:15
That's probably the least weird thing we'd find on Sage's hard drive, though I am surprised the whole thing isn't taken up by the famed "to do list". As for Sembia, I'd second the suggestion to check out Paul S. Kemp's novels, even the ones that don't deal with Sembia are well done in my opinion.
Ayrik Posted - 25 Jun 2012 : 03:27:14
You have years of Candlekeep stored on your local drives, Sage?
The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2012 : 02:04:58
You know, Razz, a quick search of the archives I've stored on my HD show that you've asked this question several times over the past six years. I've got a thread saved from the Wizards' boards that's dated from March 2006.

Anyways, obviously, the most applicable sources would be the various 1e/2e/3e/4e campaign setting tomes, and Forgotten Realms Adventures. Paul Kemp's novels, as well, and the "Sembia" series of novels which flesh out the region. [I'm actually in the process of compiling most of the relevant Sembian/Selgauntan lore from the "Sembia" series [another worthwhile source]. It'll likely all be included in a easy-to-reference PDF eventually.]

Additionally, for more obscure sources:- "Land of Merchants" [POLYHEDRON #94] and Cult of the Dragon pgs. 33–34.

"Rand's Travelogue:- Caravans and Trading Companies in Sembia" -- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010905b

"Rand's Travelogue: More Old Empires and Sembia!" -- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20020116rt

"Realmslore:- The Flourishing Career of Melvos Hammerstars" -- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

"Realmslore: The Matchmaker of Sembia" -- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20030709a [and subsequent parts in the series]

See Ed's replies here at Candlekeep also.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000