Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A strange idea...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 19:16:27
So here I am, creating new maps (and loving it), and I've come up with a bit of a conundrum that maybe the folks here can help me solve.

I started using red for temporary roads (trails, actually) so that I can lay stuff out easier. I only did this in regards to the non-canon conversion stuff I was using. This had the side-effect of clearly defining what the 'halfling lands' were, and what was not (since the roads leading out of the shires are black, like usual).

So I got to thinking, too bad I couldn't keep it like that - not only does it better illustrate the conversion and whats really going on, but its a heck of a lot easier to make solid lines then dotted ones (which have to all be hand-drawn!)

Finally, here is my idea: Hin roads are a different color because they ARE different.

Thus far, the only idea I've had are 'mudruts' - special halfling trails that others find hard to use, but hin do not (adding to their internal defense). Basically, instead of pitching the roads with a high point in the middle, with drainage ruts on either side, they do the complete opposite and build a big ditch in the middle and the surrouning terrain slopes toward it.

Why would they do such a thing? because they use strange little boat-sleds and special beasts of burden to pull them!

At first I was thinking some sort of 'water-horse' (a pony that actually prefers mud to plains, like a swamp horse), and then I thought of the Catoblepas... but thats been done over in the Farsea Marshes.

So here it is - I need ideas for weird, fantasy roads, and if I decide to go with the 'mudruts' concept, what animal - if any - should pull the sloats (sled-boats), and how the hell do they keep the mud all gooey and hard to navigate? A dry season would spell certain doom for the little buggers!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 05:30:43
Buck-Apples is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! Much better than simple hedge-rows!

Imagine: The tall human mercenary warrior is very proud that he has been hired by the Sheriff of Seashire to personally deliver a message to Clan Lord McDabbit in Highshire. As he leaves Shireton on a well travelled road, he sees up ahead that the road seemingly ends in the middle of an orchard! He hails a passing Hinman "Excuse me good Hinman. Can you tell me where the road to Highshire is?"

The Hin simply stares blankly at the tall human and says "Yer on it!"

Equally perplexed, the human stares back blankly at the Hin before him; "But it ends in that orchard yonder good sir!?"

A half-grin cracks the face of the Hin; "Aye, it would seem that way wouldn't it." and then proceeds on past the heavily armored, walking, encumbered...soon to be back-sore human.
Markustay Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 05:04:02
Yup.

A Hin could sit comfortably in the front - on the box that covers the axle - and have plenty of cargo room, but a human would have to sit on the floor of the cart, which wouldn't be very comfortable on long rides (but it sure beats the hell out of walking hunched-over for 8-10 hours!)

I suppose elves could crouch-walk (Drow would have it easiest), but Elves could also cut cross-country easily enough. There may also be some sort of weird sling-carriage (that hangs between two ponies) for traveling 'dignitaries'.

New Lore: The Buck-Apple tree.
Buck-Apples are smallish apples that grow on dwarf buck-Apple trees. These strange fruit-bearing trees were specially planted all over the Five shires long ago to serve a two-fold purpose. Firstly, they are delicious! They were planted on either side of all the major back-trails, one right after the other - this gives travelers plenty of food to eat as they plod along (and Hin are notorious about having enough food to eat!)

Secondly, the tree is an odd shape, as well as small - it grows very similar to an Accacia tree (a species found in Katashaka, and supposedly on other worlds as well). The tree reaches a maximum height of about 8', but its canopy (starting at about 5') can spread as far as it is tall in all directions. By planting these on the either side of wide Hin trails, they create a near-solid cover that keeps aerial marauders at bay, and also keeps 'big folk' from going where they are not supposed to. The branches are also very tough and knobby - almost thorny - and are difficult to cut through. legends say the Halfling gods created these trees as both protection and nourishment for the Hin, while others tell a tale of druids and magical folk assisting the small folk when they first came to the Gulthmere.

Regardless, the trees do a very adequate job in keeping unwanted intruders out. The only way for larger predators (including humans) to penetrate deep into Hin territory is to cut across the dense, primordial forest, and few non-Hin have done so and lived to tell the tale. The Gulthmere is no easy mistress - Gnolls and worse can be found in its depths.

These trees - along with other varieties - are also planted all around halfling homesteads and within their town - from above, it is nearly impossible to spot a Hin village. The only truly clear areas within the Five shires are the farmsteads, and these are maintained some distance from the living areas. One could fly on dragonback all day over the Gulthmere forest and not see a single halfling, or any other sign of them, save for a few scattered crop fields. Even their livestock is well-hidden from the unobservant eye.

Halflings are so over-protective of themselves they've even been know to alter names and even compass directions on their maps, just in case they fall into the wrong hands (one Hin trick is to create a map that you must look into a mirror to read properly!)
Dalor Darden Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 04:19:21
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yeah, I've already decided the logistics of building and maintaining those mud-roads wouldn't work - I'll save them for something else.

I'm picturing specialized Hin carts now, but I hadn't even considered narrower - I was thinking something along the lines of a normal wagon, but whereas the body of the vehicle is normally set high, above the axle, I was thinking a halfling wagon would have huge (for them) wheels, and the axle mounted above the cart. Only this type of wagon would work for the low-hanging canopy I'm picturing (max 5' off the ground). On a 5' tall wheel, the axial would sit at 2.5'. If the cart-portion was underslung, but still kept one 1' off the ground (for clearance), the that would give you 1.5' below the axial to sit in.

A person's 'sitting height' is 3/4 their standing height, so even if we used 4e's 4' tall halflings (or Kender), that would make them 3' off the bottom of the wagon, or 4' off the ground (give or take for the thickness of the wood). Ergo, a riding halfling would still be about the same height as one walking. That still leave 1' of clearance (and we are using some pretty tall halflings here).

Normal cavalry certainly couldn't use the roads, but I guess a halfling riding a wardog (and laying flat to its back as it ran) could get by on those roads). The only problem would be non-hin (except for gnomes, dwarves, and other smallish folk) that are allowed to travel through their realm (although those are fairly rare). I guess outsiders would be forced to take the one main (normal) road that goes from Starmantle to Shireton, or use boats to get to the few port-towns. That makes sense - keep all the untrustworthy types in a narrow corridor.

In the colonial period here in VA (and the rest of course I'm sure) there was a very long type of wagon that had wheels on the back and front with a large "sway belly" slung between them that allowed for more cargo to be carried...I can't recall what their name is though. I just took a trip to Colonial Williamsburg this year and saw them...now I can't remember what they are named to even look up a picture on the net.

I really like your idea though! The carts could easily be pulled by a stocky breed of pony found in our own world in the northern reaches of the isles in europe.
Markustay Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 03:49:15
Yeah, I've already decided the logistics of building and maintaining those mud-roads wouldn't work - I'll save them for something else.

I'm picturing specialized Hin carts now, but I hadn't even considered narrower - I was thinking something along the lines of a normal wagon, but whereas the body of the vehicle is normally set high, above the axle, I was thinking a halfling wagon would have huge (for them) wheels, and the axle mounted above the cart. Only this type of wagon would work for the low-hanging canopy I'm picturing (max 5' off the ground). On a 5' tall wheel, the axial would sit at 2.5'. If the cart-portion was underslung, but still kept one 1' off the ground (for clearance), the that would give you 1.5' below the axial to sit in.

A person's 'sitting height' is 3/4 their standing height, so even if we used 4e's 4' tall halflings (or Kender), that would make them 3' off the bottom of the wagon, or 4' off the ground (give or take for the thickness of the wood). Ergo, a riding halfling would still be about the same height as one walking. That still leave 1' of clearance (and we are using some pretty tall halflings here).

Normal cavalry certainly couldn't use the roads, but I guess a halfling riding a wardog (and laying flat to its back as it ran) could get by on those roads). The only problem would be non-hin (except for gnomes, dwarves, and other smallish folk) that are allowed to travel through their realm (although those are fairly rare). I guess outsiders would be forced to take the one main (normal) road that goes from Starmantle to Shireton, or use boats to get to the few port-towns. That makes sense - keep all the untrustworthy types in a narrow corridor.
Kentinal Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 21:44:54
Rothe might be too large for Hin, there again cows are t0o big for humans should they revolt. *G*
Lord Karsus Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 21:25:46
-You can never go wrong with rothe. A moldy, smelly, water variant would be needed, in this case. More mundane water buffalo, with those horns, could also double as war creatures in a pinch. Rothe, not so much.
Dalor Darden Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 20:53:31
Personally, I like the idea of low hanging trees and branches the best! As for the carts idea...Hin carts could just fit in the narrow lanes, where larger "vehicles" would be in danger of falling in and breaking a wheel or axle. The standard sort of roads could be used...but instead be smaller in scale and much like the hedge-lines of france during World War II...a MURDER to get through.

EDIT (6:50 p.m. 6/1/12): for the "wet roads" idea, I'm not much for it at all. In Ed's original material he does mention that in the winter Hin use sleds; but that so much snow falls they rarely go far at all from home.

Because too the land is said to have many hills, valleys and such as that (even going up against mountains) I don't see Wet Roads working. In some places such a thing would work...but over all I don't think it is viable in a heavily forested and hilly land. Such roads don't even begin to address all the soil erosion that the Druids would be angered by!
Kentinal Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 20:12:24
Hin are smaller, using canals which in part what you describe, might use lamas as a beast of burden. There also is some walk and some ride option. There are also dogs and other animals domesticated.
Markustay Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 20:07:25
I always forget about that source - thanks Eric!

Not precisely what I needed, but its easily adapted - the Gulthmere Halflings may have found a peculiar breed (with longer legs or pad-like feet) that actually prefer swampy conditions.

On the other hand, I may just say that halflings leave the leaf-canopy over their trails at 5' in their lands (specially training and growing plants & trees to achieve this), which would slow any 'big folk' army down. That would work.

Hmmmmmmm... razorvines.....
ericlboyd Posted - 01 Jun 2012 : 19:44:53
Would a goat-like brixashulty work?

See Races of the Wild.

--Eric

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000