Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Magic technology

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Quale Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 17:04:11
So my pc in the Stolen Land campaign took the role of magister and in the job's description it says: ''The Magister guides a kingdom’s higher learning and magic''. The rules from Kingmaker lack any details. It's sort of like a department of arcane investments. I'm looking to introduce inventions and devices powered by low-level utilitarian spells, similar to Eberron. If you have any ideas about how some spell could be exploited, please help. And I'll try that it appears pseudo-scientific, not just e.g. create water ex nihilo.

And the level of technology, anything pre-industrial age is fine.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 11:23:30
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

First off, where exactly is your campaign set?

Hard to explain, it's our homebrew world, but every time there's a new DM it changes. My version consisted of homebrew lands (mostly fantasy Earth analogues), plus some things from FR and Golarion, it also had elements from many other settings, but not entire countries. Now the new DM added Zobeck (from Kobold Quarterly), he said Kingmaker gives a lot of room for side-adventures, just following the main plot of exploration and clearing hexes of monsters would become boring.

Not sure if it matters where the campaign is, the region is called the Barrel Marches, consisting of small, balkanized realms, some of them are from Golarion's River Kingdoms and Faerun's Border Kingdoms. North of them is Narfell (not that cold and more like the old Narfell). East are vampire lands, and Imaskar ruins (Numeria). Etc.

quote:

For instance, replace bloodstones with Chardalyn, or even Micha (Maztica: City of Gold).

I don't need to replace them, there are the Bloodstone Lands a thousand miles to the north and dragonshards are accessible through trade. Even if my pc knew how to use them, he would never allow the binding of elementals.

quote:

Why can't people in your campaign learn elemental binding? The Magister is about teaching and discovering new magic.

It's a secret arcane tradition, this particular region doesn't have any such arcanists (not that my pc knows of). He'd have to be from Chessenta and initiated into some pythagorean or platonic cult. We have the world divided like that, every place should have some special arcana, it's boring if every place has all types of magic accessible. My pc arcanist knows about clockworks and some golems, ethereal proto-matter, dimensions, a bit of chronomancy and force magic, but he can't cast fireball.

quote:

EDIT: Nevermind, its PF/Golarion. Why ask here? .

This is the only D&D site I post, and Golarion is not as high magic as Faerun. I'm interested if anyone has used magitech in their games, doesn't matter if it's the Realms or something else. I want to make a list of all possible low-level utility magic. Not just for the campaign now.

I'll look for more details in the Iron Kingdoms and Dragonmech books, still I think that the blend of technology and magic there is too combat oriented, and I don't know the right word in English, looks crude. And those huge mechas would blow a century of taxes.
Quale Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 11:14:34
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm assuming HoB is the 3e Heroes of Battle tome? I don't have a copy, so could you provide some details on this PrC? It sounds kind of cool.

Yea, that PrC is perfect for the Realms (cause of the Weave). Basically the war weaver connects his allies' life forces to an eldritch network he weaves, so when he casts a spell (has to be harmless) all the allies in the network could benefit from it. I thought about making a similar wondrous item that would affect objects. E.g. it could span the entire city, then someone casts light into it every night. Should be far cheaper than a mythal, I doubt I'll be that high level.
Quale Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 11:11:13
No, it's from Paizo's kingdom building rules, if you have roles taken (ruler, councilor, general, grand diplomat, magister, high priest, spymaster etc.) by pcs and npcs, the realm is more successful. Actually our system is different, a bit inspired by Sparta and Rome. It's magister arcanum, other pcs, one is pontifex maximus and censor, and two rulers, one for the time of war, the other for diplomacy (consul), and the master of ceremonies.
Ayrik Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 07:02:57
Ah, is this the position of Mystra's Magister, or just the (often quite evil and treacherous) Lord Arcane Wizard Preeminent Royal Vizier position?
The Sage Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 05:20:57
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I was never able to get my hand on the monster-manual for that setting, or the Liber Mechanika

Not that it matters now - they'd be gone too.
Had I gotten into the Iron Kingdoms when Sage first suggested them to me, I, too, would have lost the books. As it is, with some patience, I found all of them in new or nearly new condition, for under the cover price.
The Liber Mechanika is an indispensable tome for any and all who consider dropping arcanotech/magitech/constructs in their fantasy campaigns.

Additionally, I'd also recommend the rules system of the 3rd party Doom Striders source, from Bastion Press. It offers both a no-frills and complicated construct/arcanotech system with easy of portability.

More definitively, and somewhat like Iron Kingdoms, is Dragonmech. Lots of construct and arcanotech goodies in those books.
quote:
And the Monsternomicon books are, in my opinion, some of the best monster books out there -- I think they're easily superior to anything other than the 2E monster books by TSR (which I was a huge fan of). As much as I'm a Pathfinder person now, I'd say the Monsternomicons are better than the Bestiaries -- though the latter books obviously have greater utility for most DMs.
I'm inclined to agree. The Monsternomicons are among the most frequently sourced and referenced monster books in my RPG collection.
quote:

Never got into Hordes - I stopped playing WM right around the time it was released. I had beautiful Vinter Raelthorne IV Conversion, though, mounted on a WH Cold One. 'Had' being the operant word.
Well, for either yourself or Quale, if he's interested, the Privateer Press website offers some brief sections on the setting of both WARMACHINE and HORDES -- some of which deals with the magitech/arcanotech elements prevalent in both.

Regardless, they're a stockpile for great ideas when used sparingly.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And now back to Quale - I don't know much about PF (are you running the canon setting, or your own HB-ed version?). Couldn't you just add whatever magi-tech you needed, grated from other settings?

That's be my recommendation.

And mine as well. Especially if you source the materials we've mentioned here. You're bound to find something to support your already fascinating ideas.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 04:31:03
quote:

I was never able to get my hand on the monster-manual for that setting, or the Liber Mechanika

Had I gotten into the Iron Kingdoms when Sage first suggested them to me, I, too, would have lost the books. As it is, with some patience, I found all of them in new or nearly new condition, for under the cover price.

And the Monsternomicon books are, in my opinion, some of the best monster books out there -- I think they're easily superior to anything other than the 2E monster books by TSR (which I was a huge fan of). As much as I'm a Pathfinder person now, I'd say the Monsternomicons are better than the Bestiaries -- though the latter books obviously have greater utility for most DMs.

quote:

Still, it looks like they would have had a LOT of mechanika in them (esppecially the book with the word in the title).

Some really nifty stuff in there! It was the first Iron Kingdoms book I got my hands on.

quote:

Never got into Hordes - I stopped playing WM right around the time it was released. I had beautiful Vinter Raelthorne IV Conversion, though, mounted on a WH Cold One. 'Had' being the operant word.

I'm not really a Hordes person, either... I want to build a Bad Seeds tier next, and then I'd like to build a Searforge list. After that, I'll get into the Cirle. Keep in mind, though, that with limited time and resources, I'm not sure I'll get to the Searforge list.

quote:

And now back to Quale - I don't know much about PF (are you running the canon setting, or your own HB-ed version?). Couldn't you just add whatever magi-tech you needed, grated from other settings?

That's be my recommendation.
Markustay Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 03:58:37

Still, it looks like they would have had a LOT of mechanika in them (esppecially the book with the word in the title).

The Sage Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 03:16:24
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Arcane construct-network that functions like the War Weavers (Prestige Class from HoB) Eldritch Tapestry over the whole city.
I'm assuming HoB is the 3e Heroes of Battle tome? I don't have a copy, so could you provide some details on this PrC? It sounds kind of cool.
quote:

EDIT2: Look into the Iron Kingdoms material. The tech is almost all military-based, but it can be converted. For instance, the Arcane Accumulators can be used for lighting.
I'd say WARMACHINE and HORDES as well, if only for the background material. There's some cool construct-y and magitech elements scattered throughout both games -- that weren't included in the Iron Kingdoms RPG.
Markustay Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 16:59:41
First off, where exactly is your campaign set?

Use that tome (and others), and simply replace Eberron-specific items with Realms-specific ones.

For instance, replace bloodstones with Chardalyn, or even Micha (Maztica: City of Gold).

Why can't people in your campaign learn elemental binding? The Magister is about teaching and discovering new magic.

EDIT: Nevermind, its PF/Golarion. Why ask here?

Anyhow, sounds like their version of the Bandit/Border kingdoms, is all.

EDIT2: Look into the Iron Kingdoms material. The tech is almost all military-based, but it can be converted. For instance, the Arcane Accumulators can be used for lighting. I also love the concept of Necrotite, which I married to Deadlands 'Ghost Rock' in my own HB world (Nephestone, which 'screams' when its energy is released).
Quale Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 16:35:28
I have MoE, most of it is unusable cause nobody in that region knows elemental binding, or has bloodstones. Similar is with Eberron's aberration, dragon or undead magic. The homunculi could be manufactured cheaply tough, the arbalesters for the army, or packmates (The Luggage lol).

I have a lot of similar books, but imo they barely scratch the surface of what magical technology could do

Here's a few examples of the technology I had in mind

Arcane construct-network that functions like the War Weavers (Prestige Class from HoB) Eldritch Tapestry over the whole city.

Or a low HD construct summoned from Axis-Mechanus that could repair items for gold, a mending machine. Or another that wields a pair of needles, where the needle's eye is a tiny portal to the Ethereal, drawing two strands of pure force, that would last long after being tied in a knot.
The Sage Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 00:55:19
Can you access a copy of 3e's Magic of Eberron? It's system of magitech creation should help provide you with a stable system for your own Realms campaign use.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000