Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 alter ego of famous modern realm Arcanists ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marquant Volker Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 13:18:55
There is a number of Arcanists in the modern realms (3rd edition) mostly liches or other beings (ghosts etc) who were once living breathing human beings, back in the age of Netheril.

Can you suggest anyone whom might be interesting for PCs to meet in our(Arcane Age) campaign? Any sources would be helpfull too.

I think it would be interesting for my PCs to briefly meet some of those NPCs.

For example: Larloch, my PCs love this guy ,althought they have never met him in our games ( 3rd edition Realms) only agents of him.
Imagine if he's invited in the enclave to give the PC's class of young arcanists a lecture about Arcane knowledge.It will be a blast , thought i dont now if Larloch would actually do it. My information about him is limited to "Larloch the lich" not "Larloch the Arcanist" or "Larloch the man"

Any information or suggestion are welcome.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Knight of the Gate Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 15:44:22
I'm AFB right now, but what about Saharel? Shes an Archlich and Harper friend (and madly in love with Elminster) in the 1370s. There's also the Scribe of Larloch.
Marquant Volker Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 14:17:13
thanks for the info Marc , any idea where can i find more? I didnt know Halaster was THAT old, this is great.
Marc Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 14:14:13
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

Now, about Savras and Azuth , it seems they accomplished the dream of many a young arcanist, achieving Godhood. Any clue about their mortal lives? any suggestion perhaps?
I could picture Savras being a powerfull scryer, apprentice to Iolaum perhaps...

They were both from the Shining South. It is possible they visited Netheril, Halaster as well.
Ayrik Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 05:28:12
The other 2E Ancient Ages products are equally fine. Including the Karsus-Tarrasque adventure set in/around Netheril.
Marquant Volker Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 00:33:18
Thanks for your ideas, i own a copy of the 2e 'Empire of Magic' sourcebook and it is really helpfull.

The only archwizzard i "introduced" in my campaign so far is "Fourfinger". The PCs have heard rumours about him and his spells playing with weather effects (not sure if is cannon). You know idle info or "taverntalk" that gives life to the gaming world.

The Terraseer is a fine choise, it adds mystery to the rumours. When people are roumouring of him they do it in hushed tones.

Now, about Savras and Azuth , it seems they accomplished the dream of many a young arcanist, achieving Godhood. Any clue about their mortal lives? any suggestion perhaps?
I could picture Savras being a powerfull scryer, apprentice to Iolaum perhaps...
Kno Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 10:39:57
Savras or Azuth
Ayrik Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 06:51:02
Of course, there's always Larloch.

The Terraseer, Arthindol, still lives.

Ed (through THO) has hinted several times that an as-yet-unnamed survivor from ancient Netheril resides in Waterdeep.
Light Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 06:33:10
Do you have the 2e 'Empire of Magic' sourcebook? It has a whole list of characters from this time. Alternatively there's a few covered in the 3e 'Lost Empires of Faerun'.

Anyway, I've always been most deeply fascinated by Ioulaum. He's the inventor of the Mythallar and the first person to construct a Netheril Enclave. Practically he's the most respected and renowned archwizard of the time (and in my opinion the most powerful mage in realms history). He's still alive in 1374 DR and that makes him 4,689 years old at that point. Anyway he flees Netheril when the phaerimm start to attack and then about six hundred years later in 329 DR he turns himself into an "Elder-Brain Lich". And so in modern times he is an Elder-Brain and is known as the 'Oracle of Ellyn’taal'.

Of course, there's always Karsus.

And another of my favourites: Jeriah Chronos (AKA: The Chronomancer). As the story goes, he created the first time-oriented spell and was incredibly vain (and as such the butt of many a joke amongst the wizards). Because of his vanity he's said to always be looking for Potions of Longevity and other ways to sustain his youth (so you could turn this into a quest of some sort?). He despises the gods and eventually dies in -2095 DR.

There's always Telamont Tanthul. He was working under Karsus in his enclave, researching forbidden magics (in other words, planar magic). Eventually he got his own enclave and accidentally (I think) transported it into the Plane of Shadows a few days before Karsus destroys Netheril.

Lady Polaris is another well known archwizard. She spent her first five-hundred or so years adventuring in the Netheril frontier. In Empire of Magics (Page 112) it states that "many believed that she had found some mystical fountain left behind by the Creator Races or that the elves had taught her magic unknown to the Netherese". So you could expand upon this somehow. I'm not sure what happened to her in the end but I think she died with the fall of Netheril.

I am also somewhat fond of Parzal the Outrageous. He's barely given any detail but from what we know, he is a shop owner (a wealthy and renowned one) and sells magical items. For a time he was a wanted man (in Karsus' Enclave)...for what crime I do not remember. Eventually he was caught and spent 60 days in prison. Supposedly he survived the fall of Netheril because he "was on vacation in the south".

I've only picked out a few characters from 'Empire of Magic' but there are many many many more contained within it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000