Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Devil's Puppet: a PC background

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 22:02:54
Heya folks,

We're gearing up for a new campaign and one of my friends has a really interesting idea for a character but needs more Realms info about how to go about it.

The basis for the character is taken from a warhammer novel (don't remember which one he told me) about a character slowly being possessed by a demon/devil to unlock stones that will ultimately bring about the creature's material-plane birth. He wants this as a sort of side story, evolving throughout the normal campaign. He also says he wants to play a Drow. The DM has asked me to help in on the background area because the campaign is set in the Realms. We're using 4E rules, but I don't really think that makes a difference here.

The only mechanical relevance is he'll be playing a Hexblade (warlock sub-class) that gains a "Pact" from a poweful being. This was going to be the driving power behind how he came to be and the possessing creature is pushing him to unlock these stones, while slowly granting him more power. So what I need from you guys are some ideas about what sort of demon/devil might be influencing a Drow character. His origin is undecided (as is our starting location) so it's pretty much up in the air. We'll be starting at 4th level, that way we'll have a good start to our adventuring careers.

One suggestion I had was that he was form the Underdark near Myth Drannor/Shadowdale, corrupted by Malkizid but since he's a fallen angel and all that, would he even bother dealing with a Drow and granting him powers and the like? Same goes for Fey'ri, I think they'd view using Drow as below them.

Your thoughts? Open to any suggestions.

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 02 Jan 2012 : 01:32:35
Perhaps the character was sired by the fiend - a drow version of daemonfey (elven tieflings) or fey'ri (elven cambions). Perhaps he is a unique prototype, or not entirely unique, and even his own parents are unaware of his true lineage; he could not develop signature fiend attributes until his spirit weakens under relentlessly patient attempts at corruption and domination. The fiend-sire has thus already established a foothold in the Realms through living blood, his goal could be the creation of an entire race of dhaerow'ri generals to expand his domain and power, perhaps to destroy the "untainted" drow race as well ... he is obstructed only by the need to subjugate a single wavering soul. How hard can it be to tempt a drow to evil with gifts of power?

Almost baatezu or tanar'ri could be chosen or created to fill this role; Lolth's enemies and envious competitors are legion.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2012 : 15:47:49
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Both are excellent ideas, thanks guys. Are there any specific demons to the Realms such as the balor Errtu or known evils that might be the one controlling the character? The FR Wiki speaks of Belshazu, Bizmatec, G'oud'neejh, Mizferac, Sinmaker, and Ykkandri as specific to the FR world.

I also really like the idea of the creature being "removed" from it's nice home of Myth Drannor when the elves retook the city/area. Maybe it was banished by one of Lord Seiveril Miritar and is looking for a quick way back and possibly to stay permanently.

Also, where can I find information on or could you explain who the Trio Nefarious are/were?

Any of the source material on Myth Drannor, really, particularly Cormanthyr and The Fall of Myth Drannor (both formerly free downloads). The Trio Nefarious were the fiends that led the army the destroyed the city.
Diffan Posted - 01 Jan 2012 : 12:46:23
Both are excellent ideas, thanks guys. Are there any specific demons to the Realms such as the balor Errtu or known evils that might be the one controlling the character? The FR Wiki speaks of Belshazu, Bizmatec, G'oud'neejh, Mizferac, Sinmaker, and Ykkandri as specific to the FR world.

I also really like the idea of the creature being "removed" from it's nice home of Myth Drannor when the elves retook the city/area. Maybe it was banished by one of Lord Seiveril Miritar and is looking for a quick way back and possibly to stay permanently.

Also, where can I find information on or could you explain who the Trio Nefarious are/were?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2012 : 04:38:37
I personally would have the fiend be working towards having the drow perform some ritual that will allow said fiend to wander free in the Prime, along with a bunch of his buddies.

Myth Drannor was crawling with fiends, for a while... Maybe the unknown patron is one of the Trio Nefarious, or a high-ranking servant of one of them, who wants to free his master to destroy the reborn Myth Drannor.
Markustay Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 23:01:03
You have to ask the question: "Why this Drow?"

Doesn't matter what it is - bloodline, access to a secret cache, odd circumstances, a found 'doo-dad', whatever.... the evil being chose him for a reason. There is something that person can do that no other can, or that no other can do as easily (or with as much chance of success).

It could be a simple as the Drow taking a swim in some remote underdark lake as child, and finding 'the one ring' (or whatever), which contains a shard of the devil's essence. It shouldn't be anythinmg ostentatious - like a crown - because then other Drow would have taken it from them a long time ago. Something small, that can be hidden.

Or conversely, he could be the seventh son of a seventh son, or some such, and a descendent of the devil itself, who plans to 'burst forth' from the Drow chest (Xvim-style) when all the criteria are met.

Its really an old scenario - being an agent of some 'dark power' - without understanding what that fully entails (Elric of Melnibonea is a classic example). At the same time, there should be other powers working against the devil's success, which could be good or neutral beings, or even fiendish rivals.

As for a 'why' - a fiend born into the mortal world cannot be banished from the plane (merely 'sent elsewhere' on the same world). If the Devil is attempting just such a foothold, that would make it very hard to defeat, and it could be aspiring to a deific ascension, eventually (which means it has to fly way under Asmodeus' radar).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000