Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Shape changing Shield

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erashin Posted - 27 Aug 2011 : 12:36:36
Hey guys,
Somewhere, in the multitude of 3.5 books there is a magic shield that can (as a standard action or something) change its shape to be that of any other shield (so buckler, light, heavy, tower).

I'm using it for an item the Pc's can possibly obtain but i need its stats. I know it exists but i can't find it anywhere. Can someone on here help me out?

Cheers.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 30 Aug 2011 : 08:07:04
There's also the retractable shield for 50 gp from Ultimate Equipment Guide vol. 1. We have an ex-gladiator in the party, tough he likes the tortoise shield more.
Diffan Posted - 28 Aug 2011 : 17:42:29
quote:
Originally posted by Erashin

Ah thank you so much Diffan!
Just found it :) Its from the Arms and Equipment guide.
+1 Light steel shield. MP is 6560 / Cost to Create is 3360 + 257 xp
Standard action to change shield size.
When it changes size you need to apply the new weight, anything in that hand must be dropped if you turn it into a heavy / tower shield. weapons cant be used for light shield.
Characters not proficient with shields also take a further -2 check penalty during the round the Variable shield changes size in during combat.
I actually really like this item lol, the more i think about it the better it becomes.

No problem. I can't believe I forgot about that supplement though (I actually have 2 of them, lol) and too often it falls to the wayside in lieu of newer supplements such as the Magic Item Compendium. I'm really going to have to use the A&EG more often for the cool, yet mundane items.
Erashin Posted - 27 Aug 2011 : 15:46:19
Ah thank you so much Diffan!
Just found it :) Its from the Arms and Equipment guide.
+1 Light steel shield. MP is 6560 / Cost to Create is 3360 + 257 xp
Standard action to change shield size.
When it changes size you need to apply the new weight, anything in that hand must be dropped if you turn it into a heavy / tower shield. weapons cant be used for light shield.
Characters not proficient with shields also take a further -2 check penalty during the round the Variable shield changes size in during combat.
I actually really like this item lol, the more i think about it the better it becomes.
Diffan Posted - 27 Aug 2011 : 14:06:51
I'm away from my books at the momenet but it could be the Variable shield (MiC, p. 15).

Other than that, I think it's a pretty interesting feature but shouldn't be worth an +1 increase. Probably a flat increase of say +3,500 to +5,500 gp. I mean, you still have to be proficient with the shield your changing it into right? But it could help those that use a sword/board but then get a really nice greatsword and still want a shield bonus by turning it into a buckler.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000