Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 German/Dutch influence?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razz Posted - 11 Jul 2011 : 01:28:28
I need a nation in the Realms that has some real-world Germanic or Dutch influence. Mainly because I have a PC that wants the surname "van Rudenhausen" and I can't find a nation with a similiar naming theme in the Realms.

Thanks to those that can help! :D
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jul 2011 : 18:45:55
Oh, you know where would probably be great for that name... Mulmaster.
MrHedgehog Posted - 16 Jul 2011 : 23:19:03
Certain ones were created to fullfill a cultural niche such as Egypt, Sumer, Greece, and Persia. But places like Cormyr, Sembia, Tethyr are NOT like any real world nation. Nothing strikes me as France, Italy, England.... Faerun is very different from the real world Europe to such an extent that I think they are too different to really compare. There is no monotheistic religion binding them together, the kingdom seem to be far larger than real medieval places (real world Germany was sooo many small little states...)
sleyvas Posted - 16 Jul 2011 : 19:57:53
Vaasa, Damara, Impiltur, Tethyr, and maybe Gond. I could see all of these supporting that surname. Then some of the small city-states around the inner sea.
Lord Karsus Posted - 12 Jul 2011 : 18:17:59
-There really isn't anything German-influenced. There's Erlkazar, which has a Carpathian vibe to it, of which parts are in Austria. But, other than that...

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Somewhat infamously, Netheril had a fair number of German place names. The heavily-fished river Essen being the most obvious/egregious. Not sure where else you might have. And to be fair, their person names don't generally reflect Germanic norms.

-Netheril also had a lot of Hebrew in it as well.

quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

There usually aren't direct parallels between the real world places and the realms

-Direct parallels, no. Influence (often times, highly influenced), yes.
Ayrik Posted - 12 Jul 2011 : 06:41:35
Giants, or jotun, in the Realms unsurprisingly have many parallels with those of our Norse and Germanic language/folklore.

Vaasa and Damara seem like fine places for pretentious pseudo-Germanic titles and bufoonery to point towards. To be honest, the trick I use is to always claim the character (or the character's family/caravan/slaveowner/whatever) originated from some Far Away Exotic Place. Even in those instances which contradict with subsequent lore I can still claim the title is some obscure or archaic form, or from some remote village, or whatever. If one of my players wants to be Baron Varon Von Vaughn, or Sir Loyne of Beefe, or Ragu son of Netheragu then so be it, there's plenty of places on the map and plenty more that aren't.
MisterX Posted - 11 Jul 2011 : 17:13:08
Just the whole feudal system thing and crown wars… well, why not? ;)
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jul 2011 : 16:56:38
Mulhorand and Maztica, I will grant you; they were designed intentionally as fantasy parallels, much like a number of the nations in Kara-Tur. However, I don't think Tethyr or Cormyr are anything at all like England or France.
MisterX Posted - 11 Jul 2011 : 09:18:12
The North (Illusk).
The names of the northmen are (very) old germanic (not german!) names and their culture resembles viking culture a bit. But I think that's the right region a few hundred years too earlier.

@MrHedgehog
Well, take Mulhorand and Egypt, Chessenta and Greece (I think), Maztica and the newly discovered America, Tethyr and England, Cormyr and France (I think, Cormyr and Tethyr have parallels…), and that's what I just made out of memory without any accessory…
MrHedgehog Posted - 11 Jul 2011 : 06:10:37
There usually aren't direct parallels between the real world places and the realms
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Jul 2011 : 05:11:50
Somewhat infamously, Netheril had a fair number of German place names. The heavily-fished river Essen being the most obvious/egregious. Not sure where else you might have. And to be fair, their person names don't generally reflect Germanic norms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000