Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I am stealing the Floating Netherese idea

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrHedgehog Posted - 05 Jul 2011 : 08:25:06
As per the other thread (I'm not sure if I was supposed to make a new thread or post this in the other one...) about the floating netherese city in the other dimension. I am now going to actually use this idea for a campaign. I am curious what you all think of my ideas. (The people I am going to play with are unfamiliar with the Forgotten Realms)

I decided that my players will stumble through a portal to Opus while exploring Netherese ruins. An organization called "The Seekers" will have been exploring the the ruins seeking items to help them combat Netheril's expansionism.
Opus will have been transported to a hostile world by accident during the Spellplague. It will occurin the 4th edition time period 100 years after the Spellplague. The world will be covered regions of incredibly thick thick jungle, fetid swamps, huge coral filled oceans [underwater adventure?] and completely inhospitable volcanic regions. Due to the Spellplague and their sudden appearance in this new world the people of Opus believed Selune died because she cannot answer their prayers (some have learned to use faith alone for magic) in this other world, and that Toril was successfully destroyed by Shar. Like in the Dark Sun world there are no Gods, and the world below has no civilization. Inhabited only by monsters, dinosoars, cannibalistic gnomes who hate magic(like the halflings of Dark Sun mixed with stereotypical pygymy head hunters - living in Ewok like villages), Chitines, Thri-Kreen, Bullywugs, and other atypical races. No dwarves, elves, drow, dragons, or humans will be native to the world and nothing that is standard to a D&D fantasy world.

Their main contact in the city will be Lady Arilain, who has extended her life by magic, will want the PCs help to prepare a ritual to transport them to Toril to combat the Shadovar. However, other leaders in the city (A Council of Five) will have other goals such as returning to the Gates of the Moon rather than Toril (Quella a Chaotic Good half-celestial Priestess), returning to join the Empire of Netheril as co-conquerors (Antolinez the Awful - a Lawful Evil human Archmage) , or continuing to remain in the new world (Fiona, a Chaotic Neutral Sorceress)

I will have Chever have been returned to life by a miracle and True Resurrection (or ignore that Canon said he died). But have his mind not function well because of his extreme age, and he is holed up in a tower in near eternal meditation. An epic spell he'll have cast on Opus will trap most of the population in Opus (to protect them) as another reason the PCs are needed to help them. Perhaps Lady Arilain has amulets that circumvent the spell so some Opusari can go down into the world to collect supplies, etc. and then aid in her own plans to return to Toril.

I won't have had the entire population become Aasimar, maybe 5-10%.

(Or whoever of the leaders they choose to cooperate with, the players haven't told me back stories for their characters. Of my players I know one will be a druid [and he will want to be able to turn into a wolf...and will just cooperate with the plot I set forth - he is usually a DM], a Paladin, a wizard [this player usually only seems to care about acquiring treasure and fancy items] and a ranger [this player mainly cares about game play mechanics like what character builds are best and doing the most damage most efficiently, etc..] So two won't really care about the plot anyways, I don't think.

What other things do you think I should take into consideration about the story I am going to use? (And maybe gameplay considerations, I am not an experienced DM. The other people want to use 4th edition rules.)
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 07 Jul 2011 : 18:20:02
-Oh, okay.
MrHedgehog Posted - 06 Jul 2011 : 19:19:55
I like the name Opus. That would be the only reason.
Lord Karsus Posted - 05 Jul 2011 : 18:26:22
-Just a question: Since it looks like you're changing a lot about Opus, why not just use your own custom enclave, for maximum customability?
Brix Posted - 05 Jul 2011 : 12:19:48
About magic use:
* since a mythallar is necessary to keep the city afloat.
* This city was hurled to the other dimension, before the moment of no magic.
* The mythallar remained functional in this world, doing it job in converting raw magic to keep the city floating.
* However there are no quasi-magical items, since the arcanists used the energy to establish a protecting shield around the city, after they suffered a number of severe aerial attacks.
* Magic is limited to normal use as per 3E.
* The use of magic is strictly limited
** only "The Keepers" (find a better name) are allowed to display magic openly
** Keepers protect the mythallar at all costs
** There is a school of magic training the "Keeper"
** Of course there are illegal hedge mages.
Brix Posted - 05 Jul 2011 : 10:01:47
Hey! I'm glad my original idea inspired you!!
I think I will used a slightly different approach:
* PCs are hurled from Toril to other world
* city hovers above hostile jungle (very similar to your description)
* Other/unknown world is Abeir
* Location: somewhere on the map in the region where "primitive human tribes" stands
* Time: Before spellplague, after ToT
* Deities: defunct Netherese deities, spells limited to level 3. Exceptions (maybe) Amaunathor (chief deity of the city), Jergal function normally
* Society: planeshift of the city had a big impact: strict laws, different view on magic and deities compare to ancient Netheril
* Enemies: 1. jungle: sometimes expeditions to the jungle have to be done, to collect ressources or for scouting/rescure missions. 2. powergroups in the city (factions need to be created)
* Secret: There is a human kingdom beyond the jungle, as well as other civilizations
* Human Kingdom: Humans evolved from the "primitve human tribes", but are low class in this setting (in some regions they are even treated as slaves)
** Kingdom was strongly influenced by dragonborn tutelage, and good dragons (now rare)
** prime deity Bahamut and Tiamat (evil, sorcerers, etc)
** Secret: during an expedition, the party discovers traces of human civilization > low level goal is to find other humans.
* Other Realms
** There is a good dragon/dragonborn empire (close to the humans) and an evil one
** Other races: Genasi (have no realm of their own), Scaly kinds (powered by creator race types), shifters (representing the primal nature of the setting), maybe Fey (I don't want to include native elves. However something like ghost elves (dragon magazine), or eladrin, partly emerged in faerie could be an option. Other human subraces, maybe underground humans, or savages
** Native Deities: good and evil Archomentals, nature and beast cults

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000