Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lute of Building 3,5e

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakuta Khan Posted - 31 May 2011 : 07:43:07
Hi there,

just wanted to know what roughly couldbe the result of a char is able to play the lute for lets say1,5 - 2 hours.

length of wall, length of a moat, eventually digging etc.

keen on your replies.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daviot Posted - 31 May 2011 : 22:32:30
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Miscalculation detected, no human would work 24 hours a day for three days. At 8 hours per day only 4,800, it is possible one could get 10 or 12 hours per day, with resulting 6,000 or 7,200 respectively. If one slave drives max is 16 hours per day for a 9,200 total work, however in RW and the Realms as well 16 hours are too much for long term.

True, though a lyre of building doesn't need to eat or sleep, and it's a debate over interpretation. If you like 12 or 8 hours a day work estimates, then hack things in half or thirds as you see fit. I was just trying to establish a ballpark because the item description has no examples, and man-hour estimation is something of an esoteric topic itself.
Kentinal Posted - 31 May 2011 : 21:24:21
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

As for the lyre of building , "30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for three days", so a bit of dimensional analysis (100 men)(3 days)(24 hours/day)=7200 man-hours, or a whopping 14,400 man-hours per hour of lyre playing.

<snips>

Miscalculation detected, no human would work 24 hours a day for three days. At 8 hours per day only 4,800, it is possible one could get 10 or 12 hours per day, with resulting 6,000 or 7,200 respectively. If one slave drives max is 16 hours per day for a 9,200 total work, however in RW and the Realms as well 16 hours are too much for long term.

Other factors that also apply, it depends on building conditions. The spell does not provide material, man hours are required to find them. Of course by by mundane magic material might be on site. Digging in rock takes much more time then digging in sand or clay.

The man hours of course are not a result of man, just a spell by magic that substitutes the work of having 100 humans. The work would though by extension clearly be done under the conditions that 100 humans would work for three days. This includes eating, sleeping at least 8 hours.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 31 May 2011 : 09:26:34
wow, thx for this, really given some hints now :)
Daviot Posted - 31 May 2011 : 09:02:49
As for the lyre of building , "30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for three days", so a bit of dimensional analysis (100 men)(3 days)(24 hours/day)=7200 man-hours, or a whopping 14,400 man-hours per hour of lyre playing.

The catch being that, as an engineer by schooling, I can tell you that most of the good examples of "projects by estimated man-hours" are tied up in staggeringly expensive specialty textbooks.

I was able to come up with a few examples scrounged off Google Books:
•Light groundclearing with hachets, hooks, handsaws: 2.5 m-h per 900 ft^2/84 m^2 (~one half of a volleyball court)
•Trench digging, 6 ft/2m deep: 1.4 m-h per 27 ft^3/.76m^3
•Seeding and fertilizing ground cover/grass: 22 m-h per acre/.4 hectares
•Rough carpentry: hand-nail framing with 2"x4" boards: 22 man-hours per 1000 board ft.*/305 board m.
•brick wall: 12 man-hours per m^3/35 ft^3

So, with those estimates, and two hours of lyre-playing (28,800 man-hours):
•You could clear 238 acres/96 hectares of brush.
•You could make a 6 ft. deep, 3 ft. wide trench (roughly 2m x 1m) that was 1,142 ft. long (~350 m)
•You could seed and fertilize 1309 acres/2 square miles/5.3 square km.
•You could build a brick-and-mortar wall 1m x 1m x 2.4 km/1.5 miles long.

*board feet: 1 sq. ft x 1" thick lumber. Hence a 2000 ft^2 house is theoretically about 2000 board feet (assuming no wasted wood).

Rough order of magnitude stuff, but gives you an idea of scale.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000