Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 In what script is Common written?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bladewind Posted - 06 May 2011 : 18:17:19
Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, how do you handle FR's language barriers or do you use it in any form as a DM?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 02 Jun 2011 : 22:49:08
Almost all of the DM and player handouts will offer straightforward word- and symbol-substitution between fantasy languages (including common Realmspeak) and our English. D&D has never (to my knowledge) officially published any deep Tolkein-style linguistic alphabets and analysis for any of the languages it contains ... although plenty of fandom (non-canon) stuff exists on the internet.

So you can expect most of the fantasy languages of the Realms to simply be convenient twists on English characters, little more than fancy font packages.
Mystic Lemur Posted - 15 May 2011 : 14:54:51
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Methinks that this little bit of lore gave rise to confusion in Dwarves Deep indicating that Dethek transliterated directly to English, although other scribes have pointed out here on the 'Keep that that information was in error.

Huh. That explains why the player handout in Doom of Daggerdale shows 'Dwarven' that is the English translation with runes instead of letters.
BEAST Posted - 10 May 2011 : 23:23:43
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I believe it was mentioned that Dwarfish Runes are used to write the common script (although, I'm away from my books at the moment and can't confirm).

You were right, Ashe.

Both the 1E and 2E FRCS say that the written Modern Common tongue was derived from Thorass (Auld Common), and that Thorass is the ancestor of Common.

But literacy in Thorass was rare in these earlier editions, so most people used Dethek "runes" for a time, instead.

Methinks that this little bit of lore gave rise to confusion in Dwarves Deep indicating that Dethek transliterated directly to English, although other scribes have pointed out here on the 'Keep that that information was in error.

At any rate, it appears that Thorass was beginning to take Dethek's place once again in those earlier editions, and had done so completely by 3E.
Quale Posted - 10 May 2011 : 20:29:19
He could be identified with Talfir
Lord Karsus Posted - 09 May 2011 : 18:43:14
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Interestingly, Oghma the Binder is described in Celtic mythology (ours and D&D's) as being the deity who taught humans alphabets and writing ... yet I know of no such tales on Faerūn.

-The reason for that, I bet, is because there isn't one particular ethnic group that closely identifies with Oghma. Like a lot of other deities in the "Faerūnian Pantheon", he's worshiped widely, but we don't really have a genesis spot or group for where his worship first arose. If we did, I bet those people would have more myths in which he's prominent in teaching/giving/etc.
Brimstone Posted - 09 May 2011 : 15:31:15

Dennis Posted - 09 May 2011 : 14:38:04

Understandable. They kinda sound similar.
Brimstone Posted - 09 May 2011 : 14:03:34
Loross...Now I remember...
Dennis Posted - 09 May 2011 : 12:20:56
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Isn't Thorass the language of the Netherese?

From Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition:

quote:

Thorass is an old human language, the direct ancestor of Common. It was a pidgin variant of Chondathan that western Faerūnian traders developed to communicate with their counterparts in other lands. The alphabet of Thorass survives as the alphabet used in Common, Alzhedo, Chessentan, Chondathan, Durpari, Illuskan, Midani (in Anauroch only), Rashemi, Tuigan, Turmic and Uluik.

High Netheril's language is Loross.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 09 May 2011 : 12:10:49
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

The Netherese have their own language.
Brimstone Posted - 09 May 2011 : 11:52:26
Ayrik Posted - 09 May 2011 : 10:40:28
Interestingly, Oghma the Binder is described in Celtic mythology (ours and D&D's) as being the deity who taught humans alphabets and writing ... yet I know of no such tales on Faerūn.
Mystic Lemur Posted - 08 May 2011 : 04:10:04
TBH, I just make sure that all the characters speak at least one common language (besides Common) and assume their regular conversations are in that language. I enforce Common as being a trade argot not really suitable for complex interaction.

I know Common as its own language would be much easier, but I want the players to realize that not everyone speaks the same language. I want them to have to work at interacting with unfamiliar cultures and I want them to take language selection seriously.
Bladewind Posted - 07 May 2011 : 20:38:42
When comparing Thorass to Dethek there's definately some similarities noticable. Never caught that before. Thorass takes the blocky script and adjusts it to a more flowing set of symbols; better for scribing on paper with a quill instead of chiselling straight lines into a rocky surface.

Very insidious plotting there Quale, I especially like the reality altering effect of a simplified Dark Speech.

Quale Posted - 07 May 2011 : 12:52:19
I have Chondathan as Common, it's more realistic. I imported house Sivis from Eberron, changed their subrace. They were responsible for the spread and refinement of the language since the empire's fall. The Mark of Scribing was a ''gift'' from the arcanaloths of the Tower Arcane. Subtly they introduced bits of the Dark Speech into the language, and with a lot of people speaking Chondathan today it has a weak influence on reality (also 'loths are resistant to planar bindings when the language is used in the rituals).
Ayrik Posted - 06 May 2011 : 21:59:57
The old FR0 grey box alludes that Thorass ("Auld Common") is an archaic, stilted form of modern common; something akin to Chaucer's or Shakespeare's Middle English ... I think it says the written form borrows from dwarven Dethek and other languages.
Hawkins Posted - 06 May 2011 : 21:09:20
quote:
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e), page 85

A scribe whose name is lost to history invented the set of symbols that make up the Thorass alphabet. Thorass is the direct ancestor of today's Common tongue as a spoken language. Though no on speaks Thorass anymore, its alphabet survives as the alphabet of Common and many other tongues.
Maybe other scribes know of older sources detailing it more.
Bladewind Posted - 06 May 2011 : 20:25:52
So are there any other sources that have common written in Dethek; or is it that some regions favor dwarven runes over the ancient human script of Thorass?

Thorass is quite a mystery for me. Have there been theories about where it originated?
Hawkins Posted - 06 May 2011 : 18:42:04
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-The FRCS goes into detail about scripts and such. I, also, am not home, so I don't have access to the book. Going on memory, though, I also am remembering something about Dethek runes being used, to some degree.
Page 85 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e) notes the alphabet of Common to be Thorass.
Lord Karsus Posted - 06 May 2011 : 18:33:27
-The FRCS goes into detail about scripts and such. I, also, am not home, so I don't have access to the book. Going on memory, though, I also am remembering something about Dethek runes being used, to some degree.

-Regarding language in the game, period, I'm not a DM in any Forgotten Realms games, but I am a player. I am currently playing a Star Elven Bladesinger (my Calashite Beguiler got blown up in a massive Fireball, sadly), and I have my Elven Dictionary printed out and in the plastic sleeve I keep my character sheet and background story in. When applicable, I pepper Elven phrases in my character's speech.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 06 May 2011 : 18:18:22
I believe it was mentioned that Dwarfish Runes are used to write the common script (although, I'm away from my books at the moment and can't confirm).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000