Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A quick sea-elf 3rd edition rules question.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dracons Posted - 02 May 2011 : 22:51:06
I know that a sea-elf can stay out of water for one hour per consitution point, or three hours per consitution point if they have the landwalker feat, before they begin to suffacate and need to go back into water. My question is how long do they have to be in the water before they can walk on land again?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ChieftainTwilight Posted - 12 May 2011 : 16:35:10
:nods.: aye, agreed.
Ozreth Posted - 12 May 2011 : 08:56:52
Well honestly even in a more freeform game you will eventually have to invent your own guidelines for what a character does if the situation comes up often enough (such as sea elf swimming in water). I often tell d&d player to not forget the beginning chapters of the DMG where it always states that the rules within the book are nothing more than guidelines that can be changed or disregarded as the group sees it.

In the end, the 3e+ rules have simply given you a book full of well thought out guidelines so that you dont have to make them up as you go and hope they make sense and don't alienate other players : )
ChieftainTwilight Posted - 05 May 2011 : 19:09:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

I'd say at least a minute, cause they need to "breathe" again.

I was answering as best I could as RAW. I would more likely expect that land walking would require rest in water. At least an hour.
The rules however clearly appear to indicate getting wet again is all that is required long enough to take a breath.

an attitude like that is why I'm transitioning away from D&D and toward White Wolf games like WoD. I don't give nearly HALF a damn about the raw mechanics as I do the storytelling and Roleplaying. it has to make sense IN THE GAME WORLD for me to accept it. I want my Campaigns to be immersive, thorugh and through, right down to purchasing new equipment. I absolutely HATE the metagaming!
Kentinal Posted - 04 May 2011 : 19:30:00
quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

I was answering as best I could as RAW. I would more likely expect that land walking would require rest in water. At least an hour.
The rules however clearly appear to indicate getting wet again is all that is required long enough to take a breath.
ChieftainTwilight Posted - 04 May 2011 : 18:32:21
Kentinal Posted - 03 May 2011 : 02:52:23
Dracons Yes that appears to be the way the rules read. No fatigue no penalty listed if getting "Air" in time. It is not like being alive and fatigued for years because of lack of food or water.

"Starvation And Thirst

Characters might find themselves without food or water and with no means to obtain them. In normal climates, Medium characters need at least a gallon of fluids and about a pound of decent food per day to avoid starvation. (Small characters need half as much.) In very hot climates, characters need two or three times as much water to avoid dehydration.

A character can go without water for 1 day plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

A character can go without food for 3 days, in growing discomfort. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each day (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Characters who have taken nonlethal damage from lack of food or water are fatigued. Nonlethal damage from thirst or starvation cannot be recovered until the character gets food or water, as needed—not even magic that restores hit points heals this damage. "

The rules are what the rules are. Prefect indeed not likely.
Dracons Posted - 03 May 2011 : 02:39:07
So a sea elf with say, a ten con and the landwalker feat can stay out for thirty hours, go into a sea for 6 seconds, (a single round), and go back out again for thirty hours?
Kentinal Posted - 03 May 2011 : 02:09:28
The core rules appear to indicate if back in water before any damage suffered no rest is required.

Sea Elves need to refer to suffocation rules.

"A character who has no air to breathe can hold her breath for 2 rounds per point of Constitution. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check in order to continue holding her breath. The save must be repeated each round, with the DC increasing by +1 for each previous success.

When the character fails one of these Constitution checks, she begins to suffocate. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she suffocates. "

Only apparent difference is sea elf needs water instead of air.
Thente Thunderspells Posted - 02 May 2011 : 23:37:59
I don't think I've seen rules on it before.

If you're a mean DM you could say 1:1 ratio, or a nice DM could say 1 hour...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000