Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Secret Societies in the Shining South

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kno Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 11:13:47
Unlike in the north there aren't many secret societies in Halruaa, Dambrath and Shaar. The map in C&D has only the Night Parade in Sheirtalar, so far they were enough. I had used the yuan-ti, assassins from Zakhara and Arkaiun outcasts before this campaign. And the Shadow Weave conspiracy is already past for us. Suggest me something new, conspiratiorial, even if from another world.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 20:04:16
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

you know what's in the Blood Lake?
I'd have to check both the SS sources, but I don't think the lake is even mentioned (I could be wrong).

Considering that both the nearby castle was a center of devotion for no less then two 'death gods', and the name of the lake, I would think it could have a VERY interesting history (all sorts of vile human-sacrifices kinda stuff). Thats purely hypothetical of course... it could just be a lake that tastes awful because of the heavy (reddish) 'Iron deposits' coming off the mountains (it could just be rust).

So do what you want with it.

Sidenotes: On that map, I had to correct a bit of weirdness with the town of Lastarr - it actually was placed where Rastaal is on the original map. However, it was placed incorrectly by the original cartographer (as noted in the L-List and the CK-FAQ). Rather then simply place it in accordance to the text, which would cause a discrepancy with the original map, I created the town of 'Rastaal' - Lastarr spelled 'sideways', sorta - which many folks often get confused with Lastarr (the two get mixed-up all the time, causing the inhabitants of both much consternation). So the text referencing 'Lastarr' in-source is actually referring to the village of Rastaal.

'Brean' is entirely my own fabrication, because I really thought a town should have grown-up there, and is loosely base upon the town of Brea in the Hobbit/LotR (a halfling town, with a large percentage of humans, and others). It is used as base for adventuring parties that want to explore Thruldar (so its a place-holder for DM's to stick their own town they want to be the PC's base in that region). There are also ancient ruins beneath the town that are used by several covert groups (including a rather powerful and halfling-exclusive thieves guild). The tunnels may even connect to Thruldar's 'deep levels', and also a gnomish settlement in the Thrulaliel Mts, although this would certainly NOT be common knowledge.

Assume the Rookery of Tears (is that the assassin group?) has a base of operations within the town as well. Considering the kenku-controlled regions within Veldorn, and the nearby Manni (an armless-kenku variant existing in the Hordelands), I would think the kenku would have some sort of power-base around here.

But I would defer to Christopher Rowe on that one (not knowing anything about the organization myself).
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 17:57:35
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Christopher (or anyone) ... Rookery of Tears, I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting considering some lore I'm working up for my campaign - where do I look to find out more?

You might want to peruse Christopher Rowe's Sandstorm novel.

Sage has the right of it. The only place it's been mentioned so far is in my novel.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 17:00:32
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Fish.

Fellfire Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 13:49:09
Fish.
Kno Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 12:08:57
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

There was a group of Jergal-worshipping Death-knights in that vicinity as well, IIRC. Canonically, they never leave their fortress, but you can always tinker with that (and link them to the Eminence of Araunt in 4e).

What's their exact location? I remember Myrkul's realm in the south, but not Jergal.

They are located in the castle of Al'Hanar.

You can see the precise location on This MAP.

They had switched from Jergal to Myrkul at some point, IIRC. They should be in both Shining South tomes.

you know what's in the Blood Lake?
The Sage Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 01:35:01
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Christopher (or anyone) ... Rookery of Tears, I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting considering some lore I'm working up for my campaign - where do I look to find out more?

You might want to peruse Christopher Rowe's Sandstorm novel.
Markustay Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 21:02:38
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

There was a group of Jergal-worshipping Death-knights in that vicinity as well, IIRC. Canonically, they never leave their fortress, but you can always tinker with that (and link them to the Eminence of Araunt in 4e).

What's their exact location? I remember Myrkul's realm in the south, but not Jergal.

They are located in the castle of Al'Hanar.

You can see the precise location on This MAP.

They had switched from Jergal to Myrkul at some point, IIRC. They should be in both Shining South tomes.
MalariaMoon Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 19:28:32
Kno Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 18:55:32
quote:

Xevo Posted - 09 Feb 2011 : 00:05:52
Don't forget about the Eshowe of Chult. Though they typically have few numbers (about a hundred) they roam all over the jungles and could logically expand beyond in their search for power. Their hatred of the Tabaxi (tribe not race) and their low resources mean they must keep on the down-low and very secretive. Their powers with shadows and other strange abilities could catch the players off-guard. For more info research Eshowdow of the Chultan Pantheon.
Markustay Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 04:24:55
I created a 'black corsairs' (a'la Conan) group operating out of the southern coast of the Chultan peninsula - all sorts of good hiding spots/secret coves throughout there. If you look at my chult map, you will see a couple of locales that pay homage to the Conan group.

We created a couple of cool 'societies' in the old Utter East thread on the WotC site way back when as well. Can't remember any specifically (except the Holy Assassins of Khali-Mar), but they would be operating throughout the Utter East and the Shining Lands (and perhaps a little further west as well).

The corsairs of the Zakharan islands also periodically raid the southern coast of Faerūn - they are surprisingly close, actually.

There is also an Illithid-run Trademeet somewhere under the Shaar, but I'm not at home so can't check sources. Its mostly for the Underdark races, but there's nothing says you can't develop some intrigue around that. Its under a town, IIRC. The nearby Dambrathi Drow and Gold Dwarves of the Great Rift can be pulled into a plot involving that obscure locale.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 18:34:24
@Zirael: Actually, I had already considered that myself- makes sense. Think of it as a sort of theivery/assassination/spy version of Braegan D'earth, but led by the cult. Very covert stuff- at least at first.....
Knight of the Gate Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 15:53:58
Oh, and as for the Shaar, isn't there a 'Harper-esque' group of non-human Rangers and Druids sponsored by Nobanion active in the Shaar? I'm AFB, but IIRC, they are detailed in CoV, and are comprised largely of Wemics.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 15:49:49
For Halruaa from canon, there is the rumored existence of Shadow Weave-using Council Elders working in secret to subvert Mystra's hold on the government.
Insofar as non-canon, I wrote (but never got to run) a mid-level game in which the Twisted Rune had managed to infiltrate Halruaan government (doing so almost totally non-magically through blackmail and buying up the debts of several Council Archmagi). Also, while they aren't named in canon as being a presence, I will agree with Christopher that the Rundeen would almost certainly have a toe (or foot-) hold in Halruaa.
Also, don't forget the Leira-worshipers! They *said* they were all leaving hundreds of years ago, and Leirans never, ever lie, right? When you realize that a substantial number of Leirans wound up worshipping Cyric, you have a really scary power-group that could have members at the very top of Halruaan society, esp. considering the pent-up aggression any such Leirans would have toward the ruling Mystrans combined with Cyric's maniacal hatred of same. These guys would be made all the more dangerous by the fact that 'everyone' knows that the Leirans left centuries ago.
Zireael Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 15:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Dambrath, you say? Hmm, how about a network of drow spies, assassins and thieves Called the Venom Daggers? Vaerhaunites, of course. (If you're going post-Spellplague, they could be die-hards who are trying to res him.) Symbol is a pair of emerald snakes coiled around a red dagger, tattooed on shoulder, side of neck, or inside forearm usually out of sight, but they know each other by red sashes. Could have ties to various criminal activities around the region, including port cities.

quote:
Actually Halruaa, Lapaliiya and the Border Kingdoms above the surface and in the air. Only if the society infiltrates from Dambrath. I'd prefer it to be a human society cause the drow would be shot on sight and are vulnerable to sunlight. I'm not sure what would the Vheraunite drow want of these lands. Search for something Illythiiri? They do have wonderful symbol .

I'd add some half-drow and human Dambraii to this secret society and it would be lovely!
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 01:15:11
Oh, and of course I'm partial to the kenku assassin-cults of the Beastlands like the Rookery of Tears.
The Sage Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 01:04:47
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

For Halruaa I always felt the Incantifiers of Sigil would fit there.

Heh. I actually have a survivor-sect of the Incanterium in Halagard. They're largely focused on finding any lost magic that was abandoned/misplaced as a result of the shift in power from this city, to Halarahh.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:41:12
I always imagined the Rundeen would be active in that area, at least wherever advanced trade economies are present.
Quale Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:26:02
The cult of Gargauth is active there.

For Halruaa I always felt the Incantifiers of Sigil would fit there. Also a bit modified cult of the Radiance from Glantri in Mystara.

Vheraun's cult could search for a pearl containing the spirit of that first dark elven leader, forgot his name.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 22:17:08
Well, part of Vearhaun's dogma is for drow to return to the surface (preferably as conquorers), so many of his followers try to infiltrate surface lands. (See the House Jaelre bit from 3e FRCS section on Cormanthyr.) A guild or secret society designed to influence or slowly subjugate those lands would fit perfectly. And since Dambrath already has a large population of drow and half-drow, with ties to the Underdark, you could have several different types of adventures in one campaign- Underdark, wilderness, and urban. (They often disguise themselves in human lands, so they might not be easy to spot right away, or they might have some human agents roaming around.) They might also be seeking to steal magic, weapons, or other things in those areas, especially Halruua. Incidentally, many of his followers have daylight-adaptation (as the feat), so that might not necessarily be a problem. Would be a nasty surprise for PC's expecting them to be vulnerable only to discover they aren't!
Kno Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 15:10:49
Actually Halruaa, Lapaliiya and the Border Kingdoms above the surface and in the air. Only if the society infiltrates from Dambrath. I'd prefer it to be a human society cause the drow would be shot on sight and are vulnerable to sunlight. I'm not sure what would the Vheraunite drow want of these lands. Search for something Illythiiri? They do have wonderful symbol .
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 12:10:46
Dambrath, you say? Hmm, how about a network of drow spies, assassins and thieves Called the Venom Daggers? Vaerhaunites, of course. (If you're going post-Spellplague, they could be die-hards who are trying to res him.) Symbol is a pair of emerald snakes coiled around a red dagger, tattooed on shoulder, side of neck, or inside forearm usually out of sight, but they know each other by red sashes. Could have ties to various criminal activities around the region, including port cities.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000