Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Elementalist (Pathfinder/3e/OGL)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 19:46:35
Ok, sooo I was talking in another thread that we, as a community, need to start getting more creative. Utilizing everything RPG-wise for the betterment of the Realms. And I was on this really big Avatar: The Last Airbender kick this summer (hated the movie, DON'T SEE IT!!). With that in mind, I realized that there was no class that really did the stuff they did in the series. Sure, multi-classed Monks/wizard or monk/sorcerer could work but......well anyways I made up this class by gutting the Wu Jen and re-tooling it to fit a martial arts/elements using, Kung-Fu primal warrior.

So take a look and I must remind you that it's not completly done as I have to create more maneuvers for the various elemental states.

ALSO NOTE: This utilizes elements of the Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords for their Stances/Maneuvers. But please don't be turned off by it as it scales very well with how Pathfinder does their classes. Also, there might be some names I've stolen from 4E to help fuel my creative process. Don't let that hinder your opinion if you don't like 4E.

Enjoy!!
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EltonJ Posted - 17 Oct 2010 : 14:29:38
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by EltonJ

Uhm. . .

I noticed this thread and decided to look in. I wrote Elementalism for Penumbra's Occult Lore (3e) back in 2002. I think you've recreated the wheel.

I never heard of the book, to be honest. Having looked it up on Amazon.com, I see that it has alot of information for d20/3e stuff so I'll pick it up (espically for only $4!). Though the above class also has information to use Darkness, Light, Metal, and Wood. Yea, I know they're not true elements but I like the flavor and more options are always good.

So as an author of a game supplemnt, how would you rate the above class? I know it's already been done before (hence re-inventing the wheel) but I figured any ideas, tips, or criticism would benefit the class.

Your class is fine, but your selection of spells is missing a certain, something. When Occult Lore arrives, you'll have a great selection of spells that I wrote to add.

But really, you re-invented the wheel when you didn't have too. I wrote everything in Occult Lore to be as open as possible. Only the editor didn't see everything my way. Which is a good thing, in some respects. Bad in others.

Mongoose Publishing also released an Elementalist sourcebook, so you re-invented the Wheel a 3rd time, actually. Both books are available on PDF from Drivethru, so I suggest you get the other as well.

Maybe, with both books, you can improve on both. :)
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 17 Oct 2010 : 02:13:24
Rather impressive from the skim-reading I've done of this so far. Sounds like it's bit like either a Favored Soul or Sorcerer focused on elemental powers.
Diffan Posted - 16 Oct 2010 : 14:53:14
quote:
Originally posted by EltonJ

Uhm. . .

I noticed this thread and decided to look in. I wrote Elementalism for Penumbra's Occult Lore (3e) back in 2002. I think you've recreated the wheel.

I never heard of the book, to be honest. Having looked it up on Amazon.com, I see that it has alot of information for d20/3e stuff so I'll pick it up (espically for only $4!). Though the above class also has information to use Darkness, Light, Metal, and Wood. Yea, I know they're not true elements but I like the flavor and more options are always good.

So as an author of a game supplemnt, how would you rate the above class? I know it's already been done before (hence re-inventing the wheel) but I figured any ideas, tips, or criticism would benefit the class.
EltonJ Posted - 16 Oct 2010 : 14:39:08
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Ok, sooo I was talking in another thread that we, as a community, need to start getting more creative. Utilizing everything RPG-wise for the betterment of the Realms. And I was on this really big Avatar: The Last Airbender kick this summer (hated the movie, DON'T SEE IT!!). With that in mind, I realized that there was no class that really did the stuff they did in the series. Sure, multi-classed Monks/wizard or monk/sorcerer could work but......well anyways I made up this class by gutting the Wu Jen and re-tooling it to fit a martial arts/elements using, Kung-Fu primal warrior.

So take a look and I must remind you that it's not completly done as I have to create more maneuvers for the various elemental states.

ALSO NOTE: This utilizes elements of the Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords for their Stances/Maneuvers. But please don't be turned off by it as it scales very well with how Pathfinder does their classes. Also, there might be some names I've stolen from 4E to help fuel my creative process. Don't let that hinder your opinion if you don't like 4E.

Enjoy!!

Uhm. . .

Diffan Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 20:46:42
Ok, added in the damage expression for the Unarmed Strike and the damages for Small and Large characters too. I also reworded the Shadow element into Darkness element. The opposite of Light is Dark, and shadow is somewhere in between. This means that I might look into changing the spells of the Darkness element, though I think all the Shadowy-like spells work fine too.

Corrected some typos and changed the wording of some features like Elemental Focus and it's limits on your second elemental choice. That way we don't have people gaining all the benefits of the Elemental State feature.

Still, I gotta work on the Maneuvers and Stances of the Elemental Abilities for the elements and that's like 40 some powers. Hopefully it won't take me too long. If your going to use a game and you want to try this out for a play-test, I encourage you to do so and let me know if there's any glaring problems with it.
Diffan Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 18:55:26
That's some good info and lore there Markus. I'll add it into the In the Realms section of the class description. Though I'm not sure if your saying it should be divine spellcasting. While I think that Druids and Rangers cast divine spells and are very Nature-y, the Elementalist is arcane in nature, and draws it's power directly from the Weave. This direct power is raw, and thus they've had to funnel this power through the elements of the natural world.
Markustay Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 16:16:44
Not to derail your wonderful thread in any way, just a few items of note:

Elementalists are common in Zakhara, and given the Elemental nature of their folklore (Djinni), also have a somewhat 'spiritual' aspect.

Geomancers (Earth elementalists) were common in the Jungle Kingdoms of northern Zakhara, and there appears to be some ancient elemental connections in the Utter East (that border region between Zakhara and Faerun). This has lead me to conclude that the 'Southern magic' we used to have in earlier editions of the Realms was actually of a more elemental nature, and where 'Sorcerers' come from (but that's just me - YMMV).

The Shugenja of Kara-Tur take this a step further - they are Elemental priests. Both the Zakharan and eastern religions do not separate the elemental nature spirits from the divine, as most western cultures do.

Given the Meta-gaming knowledge we have in regards to the planes, it makes some sense to me that there should be a certain aspect of 'supplication' to greater (Elemental) Lords when drawing power from their domains.

Diffan Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 14:38:59
Couple of things I need to include:

• Increase unarmed strike damage. This will be slightly less than the usual Monk damage expresion.

• Elemental Ability powers. At 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level, an elementalist will gain the use of a maneuver or stance associated with their Element focus. These can be usable 1/encounter with no way to "recharge" them. Stances, however will have the ability to be used all the time.

Any suggestions, opinions, or ideas about the class? Do you think it's underpowered/overpowered, unflavored, boring, great?! Comments and criticism are both welcome. Though try to stay positive!
Diffan Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 02:53:39
Reserved Space
Diffan Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 01:21:55
8TH LEVEL:
Air--Cloud Chariot, Whirlwind
Darkness--Blackfire, Ghostform, Greater Shadow Evocation
Earth--Deadly Lahar, Earthquake
Fire--Deadly Lahar, Incendiary Cloud
Light--Prismatic Bow, Sunburst
Metal--Iron Body, Repel Metal or Stone
Water--Field of Icy Razors, Horrid Wilting, Maelstrom
Wood--Deadfall, Control Plants

Antipathy
Find the Center
Greater Spirit Binding
Mind Blank
Minute Form
Mysterious Redirection
Polymorph Any Object
Power Word: Stun
Summon Monster VIII
Symbol of Death
Symbol of Insanity
Sympathy

9TH LEVEL:
All--Elemental Swarm, Summon Elemental Monolith
Air--Greater Whirlwind, Towering Thunderhead
Darkness--Energy Drain, Shades, Shadow Landscape
Earth--Cast in Stone, Transmute Rock to Lava, Undermaster
Fire--Deadly Sunstroke, Internal Fire
Light--Blinding Glory, Prismatic Sphere
Water--Tsunami, Mass Drown
Wood--Shambler, Unyielding Roots

Absorption
Astral Projection
Dominate Monster
Etherealness
Freedom
Gate
Imprisonment
Power Word: Kill
Shapechange
Summon Monster IX
Teleportation Circle
Time Stop
Transcend Mortality
Wish

Diffan Posted - 14 Oct 2010 : 01:18:14
6TH LEVEL:
Air--Chain Lightning, Cloud Walkers
Darkness--Shadow Walk, Shadowy Grappler
Earth--Flesh to Stone, Move Earth, Stone to Flesh
Fire--Fire Seeds, Fires of Purity, Lingering Flames, Storm of Fire and Ice
Light--Brilliant Blade, Ray of Light
Metal--Ironguard, Spirit Needle, Wall of Iron
Water--Control Water, Drown, Extract Water Elemental, Storm of Fire and Ice
Wood--Ironwood, Repel Wood

Control Weather
Gaes/Quest
Globe of Invulnerability
Greater Dispel Magic
Mass Suggestion
Permanent Image
Programmed Image
Repulsion
Spirit Binding
Summon Monster VI
Symbol of Fear
Symbol of Persuasion
Transfix
True Seeing
Veil

7TH LEVEL:
All--Energy Absorption, Scrying [Greater]
Air--Wind Walk
Darkness--Finger of Death
Earth--Greater Worm of the Earth, Statue, Wrack Earth
Fire--Delayed Fireball Blast
Light--Radiant Assault
Metal--Adamantine Wings, Decapitating Scarf
Water--Waterspout
Wood--Transmute Metal to Wood

Body Outside Body
Commune with Greater Spirit
Disintegrate
Energy Immunity
Ethereal Jaunt
Greater Teleport
Giant Size
Limited Wish
Reanimation
Summon Monster VII
Sword of Darkness
Symbol of Stunning
Symbol Weakness
Teleport Object
Withering Palm
Power Word Blind

Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:57:11
4TH LEVEL:
All--Elemental Ward, Energy Sphere, Scrying
Air--Air Walk, Defenestrating Sphere
Darkness--Shadow Conjuration, Shadow Well
Earth--Dimension Door, Heart of Earth, Stoneskin, Stone SphereFire--Fire Shield, Fire Trap, Wall of Fire
Light--Blistering Radiance, Rainbow Pattern
Metal--Dancing Blade, Rain of Spines, Rusted Blade, Rusting Grasp, Storm of Needles
Water--Ice Storm, Solid Fog, Wall of Ice, Water to Poison
Wood--Antiplant Shell, Command Plants

Animate Dead
Charm Monster
Confusion
Creeping Darkness
Crushing Despair
Dismissal
Greater Invisibility
Good Hope
Heart Ripper
Summon Monster IV
Mass Resist Energy
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability
Lesser Spirit Binding
Locate Creature
Minor Creation
Pain
Polymorph
Shout
Snake Darts
Wall of Bones

5TH LEVEL:
All--Contingent Energy Resistance
Air--Cyclonic Blast, Control Winds, Overland Flight
Darkness--Darkbolt, Shadow Form, Shadow Evocation
Earth--Stone Shape, Terra Cotta Lion, Wall of Stone
Fire--Fire and Brimstone, Heart of Fire, Mass Fire Shield, Shroud of Flame
Light--Lucent Lance, Prismatic Ray
Metal--Metal Skin, Quill Blast
Water--Cone of Cold, Freeze, Ice Flowers
Wood--Plant Body, Tree Stride, Wood Rot

Aiming at the Target
Animal Growth
Arc of Lightning
Baleful Polymorph
Dominate Person
Dream
Fabricate
Feeblemind
Hold Monster
Major Creation
Nightmare
Passwall
Permanency
Persistant Image
Servant Horde
Spirit Self
Summon Monster V
Summon Wind
Sword of Deception
Symbol of Pain
Symbol of Sleep
Telekinesis
Teleport

Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:49:53
2ND LEVEL:
All--Resist Energy
Air--Binding Winds, Heart of Air, Levitate, Sonic Weapon
Darkness--Dark Way, Shadow Spray, Veil of Shadows
Earth--Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Earth Lock, Earthen Grasp, Mountain Stance
Fire--Animate Fire, Cat's Grace, Fire Shuriken, Pyrotechnics
Light--Light of Mercuria, Shadow Radiance
Metal--Entangling Scarf, Protection from Arrows, Rain of Needles
Water--Ice Blast, Ice Knife, Swim, Torrent of Tears
Wood--Blackrot, Warp Wood, Wood Shape

Alter Self
Apparition
Arcane Lock
Blur
Detect Thoughts
Force Whip
Hold Person
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Kiss of the Toad
Knock
Locate Object
Minor Image
Misdirection
Protection from Charm
Rope Trick
See Invisibility
Spider Climb
Summon Monster II
Wall of Gloom
Whispering Wind
Lightning Blade

3RD LEVEL:
All--Elemental Eye, Protection from Energy
Air--Capricious Zephyr, Fly, Wind Wall
Darkness--Shadow Binding, Shadow Phase
Earth--Earthbolt, Terra Cotta Warrior
Fire--Fire Wings, Fireball
Light--Daylight, Light of Venya
Metal--Keen Edge, Greater Magic Weapon, Magnetism, Rebirth of Iron
Water--Gaseous Form, Heart of Water, Steam Breath, Stinking Cloud
Wood--Plant Growth, Thornskin

Commune with Lesser Spirits
Corpse Candle
Discern Shapechanger
Dispel Magic
Displacement
Haste
Illusory Script
Magic Circle Against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Major Image
Remove Curse
Suggestion
Summon Monster III
Tongues
Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:41:00
ELEMENTALIST SPELL LIST

CANTRIPS:
Air--Ghost Sound, Electric Jolt
Darkness--No Light, Touch of Fatigue
Earth--Acid Splash, Detect Poison
Fire--Dancing Lights, Flare
Light--Dawn, Disrupt Undead
Metal--Mending, Launch Bolt
Water--Create Water, ray of frost
Wood--Naturewatch, Resistance

Arcane Mark
Daze
Detect Magic
Light
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Read Magic

1ST LEVEL:
All--Elemental Burst, Endure Elements
Air--Blood Wind, Feather Fall, Sonic Wind
Darkness--Ebon Eyes, Net of Shadows
Earth--Foundation of Stone, Hail of Stone
Fire--Fiery Eyes, Melt, Smoke Ladder
Light--Guiding Light, Light of Lunia
Metal--Iron Scarf, Magic Weapon
Water--Animate Water, Jet of Steam, Obscuring Mist
Wood--Animate Wood, Backbiter, Climbing Tree

Accuracy
Animate Rope
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Disguise Self
Ghost Light
Hold Portal
Hypnotism
Jump
Mage Armor
Magic MIssile
Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Scales of the Lizard
Secret Signs
Shield
Silent Image
Sleep
Summon Monster I
True Strike
Unseen Servant
Ventriloquism

Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:34:58
TABLE 1:3 SPELLS KNOWN

Level	0	1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th	6th	7th	8th	9th

1st	3	2	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
2nd	4	2	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
3rd	4	2	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
4th	5	3	1	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
5th	5	3	1	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
6th	6	3	2	1	-	-	-	-	-	-
7th	6	4	2	1	-	-	-	-	-	-
8th	7	4	3	2	1	-	-	-	-	-
9th	7	4	3	2	1	-	-	-	-	-
10th	8	5	4	3	2	1	-	-	-	-
11th	8	5	4	3	2	1	-	-	-	-
12th	8	5	5	4	3	2	1	-	-	-
13th	8	5	5	4	3	2	1	-	-	-
14th	8	5	5	4	4	3	2	1	-	-
15th	8	5	5	4	4	3	2	1	-	-
16th	8	5	5	4	4	4	3	2	1	-
17th	8	5	5	4	4	4	3	2	1	-
18th	8	5	5	4	4	4	3	3	2	1
19th	8	5	5	4	4	4	3	3	2	2
20th	8	5	5	4	4	4	3	3	3	3
Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:32:17
TABLE 1:2 SPELLS PER DAY

Level	1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th	6th	7th	8th	9th

1st	3	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
2nd	4	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
3rd	5	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
4th	6	3	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
5th	6	4	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
6th	6	5	3	-	-	-	-	-	-
7th	6	6	4	-	-	-	-	-	-
8th	6	6	5	3	-	-	-	-	-
9th	6	6	6	4	-	-	-	-	-
10th	6	6	6	5	3	-	-	-	-
11th	6	6	6	6	4	-	-	-	-
12th	6	6	6	6	5	3	-	-	-
13th	6	6	6	6	6	4	-	-	-
14th	6	6	6	6	6	5	3	-	-
15th	6	6	6	6	6	6	4	-	-
16th	6	6	6	6	6	6	5	3	-
17th	6	6	6	6	6	6	6	4	-
18th	6	6	6	6	6	6	6	5	3
19th	6	6	6	6	6	6	6	6	4
20th	6	6	6	6	6	6	6	6	6
Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:24:51
ELEMENTAL FOCUSES
The following consists of the elemental forces an elementalist gains when they first choose their elemental type. As they gain levels, their basic abilities gain strength and they can use their primary element in varying ways. As one gains an element to control, they lose focus and control of the axis element and cannot manifest it's power. Each element has an opposite side, one that is a stark difference to itself. These contrasts are: Air / Earth; Fire / Water; Metal / Wood; and Light / Darkness. Once you choose your primary element it is a permanent choice and you cannot learn spells that have the opposing element's sub-descriptor. Once you gain 10th level, you train your body to gain control over a second element which grants instant access to spells of that second element and the maneuvers and stances below. Beneftis from other class features do not apply to your usage of your second element. Each elemental focus has powers listed below:

AIR
Sonic Boom
Air elemental (strike)
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: 30 ft.
Target: One creature
You sweep your arms wide and inhale, bringing the very essence of air into your being. With a quick movement, you collapse your arms together and cause a sharp crack of air that booms like thunder.
As part of this maneuver, you make a ranged touch attack against your foe. This attack deals 1d6 + 1 for every two elementalist levels you possess sonic damage. In addition, the target is pushed back 5 feet + 5 feet every additional 4 levels to a total of 25 feet at 20th level.

DARKNESS
Gloom Lash
Darkness elemental (strike)
Range: 25 ft.
Focus: A black silk ribbon or scarf.
You snap out a scarf-like band of shadow that catching your opponent around his neck, dragging him back to your shadowy embrace.
As part of this maneuver, make a ranged touch attack. This attack deals 1d6 + 1 point of negative energy damage for every two levels of elementalist you possess. This negative energy is still harmful to undead beings and they take damage accordingly. If the attack was successful, you may pull the target backwards up to 10 ft.

EARTH
Granite Slam
Earth elemental (strike)
Range: melee or 15 ft.
Focus: 1 lbs or more of natural earth, rock, or stone
You form the natural earth or rock around your fists, making your unarmed strikes pack a greater punch. When you can't immerse yourself into melee combat, you hurl these rocks with accuracy towards your foes.
As part of this maneuver make a unarmed melee attack against your foe. This attack deals an extra 2 points of damage for every two elementalist levels you posses. Alternatively you can throw the rock (using your Wisdom modifier in place of Dexterity) up to 15 ft + 5 ft every additional 4 levels to a total of 25 ft. at 20th level. Rocks thrown in this way deal 1d8 + 1 bludgeoning damage for every two elementalist levels you possess.

FIRE
Fiery Assault
Fire elemental (strike)
Range: melee or 30 ft.
Target: One creature; (special)
Focus: 1 piece of coal or charcoal
When you strike at your opponents, your hands flare with internal fire that sear them with your touch. Through complex moves, you can hurl this fire at foes who wish to stay out of your reach.
As part of this maneuver, make a ranged touch attack against your foe. This attack deals 1d6 + 1 for every two elementalist levels you posses of fire damage and the target catches fire. The target may make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + Wis modifier) to extinguish itself as a minor action. In addition, any unarmed attacks you make
may deal fire damage as though it were through a flaming weapon for purposes of overcoming damage reduction or vulnerabilities.

LIGHT
Radiant Lance
Light elemental (strike)
Range: 50 ft.
You unleash a lance of pure positive energy, hitting your foe and gaining some resistance.
As part of this maneuver, make a ranged basic attack against an opponent withing range. This attack deals 1d8 + 1 point of positive energy damage for every two levels of elementalist you possess. This positive energy is still harmful to living beings and they take damage accordingly. In addition, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier. These do not stack with other temporary hit points you might already possess and are lost first when taking damage.

METAL
Rending Steel
Metal elemental (strike)
Range: melee
Focus: One weapon with a metal striking surface
Grasping your weapon, you unleash a mighty swing that cuts deeply into your foe.
As part of this maneuver, make a melee attack using a weapon in which you are proficient with. This attack causes and additional 2 bleeding damage per turn. The bleed damage increases by 2 points every 5 levels after 1st level to a maximum of 10 bleeding damage at 20th level.

WATER
Water Whip
Water elementalist (strike)
Range: 10 ft.
Focus: 8oz. of pure water or more
With a quick flash of your hand, you bring the water your holding into a serpent-like whip of water that freezes on impact.
As part of this maneuver, make a melee touch attack. This attack deals 1d8 + 1 point of cold damage for every two levels of elementalist you possess. In addition, on a successful attack, you may make a trip attempt as a free action.

WOOD
Resounding Cudgel
Wood elementalist (strike)
Range: Melee
Focus: One wooden weapon, or a weapon with a wooden striking surface.
You bring your oaken weapon to bear and swing with the might of a giant. The wood shapens slightly to gain the perfect blend of speed and power that produces a greater strike.
As part of this maneuver, make a melee attack with a wooden weapon or a weapon with a wooden striking surface. If the attack was successful, it deals an additional 1d6 damage and knockes the target prone. On a successful critical hit, the target is also dazed for 1 round. For every 5 levels after 1st (5th, 10th, 15th, etc.) the attack deals an extra +1d6 bludgenoing damage to a total of +5d6 at 20th level.
Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:06:07
GAME RULE INFORMATION
Elementalists have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Wisdom determines how powerful a spell an elementalist can cast, how many spells the elementalist can cast per day, and how hard those spells are to resist. To cast a spell, an elementalist must have a Wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level. High Dexterity is helpful for an elementalist, who typically wears little to no armor. And a good Constitution score provides extra hit points as well as a better Fortitude save.
Alignment: Must match one of the alignments associated with their chosen element.
Hit Die: d8
Base Attack Bonus: Average (like a Clerics)
Save Progression: Good Reflex and Will. Poor Fortitude
Starting Gold: 3d6 x 10 gp (average 80 gp)

CLASS SKILLS
An elementalist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Wis).

Skill Ranks per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
All the following are class features of the elementalist.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Elementalists are proficient with all simple weapons, with weapons any of their spells might create, and one Martial weapon of their choice. Weapons formed by spells can be used with any feat or class feature the elementalist possesses. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with an elementalist's arcane gestures, which can cause his/her spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells: An elementalist casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the elementalist spell list. She can cast any spells she knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, an elementalist must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an elementalist's spell is 10 + the spell level + the elementalist's Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, an elementalist can only cast a certain number of spells of each level per day. He base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1:2 below. In addition, an elementalist receives bonus spells per day if she has a high enough Wisdom score.

An elementalist's selection of spells is extremely limited. An elementalist beings play knowing two 1st-level spells of her choice that are not associated with a specific element. At each new elementalist level, she gains one or more new spells as indicated on Table 1:3 below. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells an elementalist knows is not affected by her Wisdom score; the numbers on Table 1:3 are fixed.) These new spells must be drawn from the elementalist spell list and cannot be associated with a specific element. Elementalists also gain knowledge of all spells with her associated Elemental focus. When an elementalist gains a second Focus, they also receive all the spells from that second focus.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered elementalist level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), an elementalist can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, she loses the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged. An elementalist may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, an elementalist need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spell she knows at any time, assuming she has not yet used up her spells per day for that spell level.

Bonus Language: An elementalist learns one specific language based on her choice of her elemental focus. The choices are: Air--Auran; Darkness--Infernal; Earth--Terran; Fire--Ignan; Light--Celestial; Metal--Choose any one language (may not be a secret language); Water--Aquan; Wood--Sylvan.

Watchful Spirit: Once per day at 1st level, an elementalist can reroll an initiative roll she has just made before she knows her place in the initiative order. She takes the better of the two rolls. At 10th level, she gains greater watchful spirit and may reroll her initiative with a +2 insight bonus to her roll.

Cantrips: Elementalists learn a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, as noted on Table: 1:3 under “Spells Known.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, an elementalist gains a bonus metamagic feat. She gains an additional bonus metamagic feat at 7th, 13th, and 19th level.

Unarmed Strike: At 3rd level, an elementalist gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. An elementalist's attacks may be with fist, elbows, knees, and feet. This means that she may make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for an elementalist striking unarmed. An elementalist may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually an elementalist's unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

An elementalist's unarmed strike is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

An elementalist also deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown above on Table 1:1 Elementalist. The unarmed damage values listed on Table 1:1 is for Medium characters. A Small elementalist deals less damage than the amount given there with his unarmed attacks, while a Large elementalist deals more damage; see Table: Unarmed Damgae Small or Large Elementalist Unarmed Damage.

TABLE: Unarmed Damage

Level    Damage (Small Elementalist) Damage (Large Elementalist) 
1st–4th             1d4                        1d8 
5th–8th             1d6                        2d6 
9th–12th            1d8                        2d8 
13th–16th           1d10                       3d6 
17th–20th           2d6                        3d8 

Spell Secret: At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, an elementalist can choose one spell known to her that then becomes permanently modified as though affected by one of the following metamagic feats: Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Still Spell, or Silent Spell. The spell's level does not change nor does it require a full-round action to cast. Once the choice of the spell and modification are chosen, they cannot be changed. As the elementalist gains levels, she can choose the same spell to be modified in different ways with multiple spell secrets. She does not need to know the feat she applies to the spell.

Armored Body: At 5th level, the Elementalists constant connection to the primal forces of the world slowly turns his skin harder. When unarmored and unencumbered, the elementalist adds gains a +2 bonus to AC and CMD. This bonus increases by 1 for every five elementalist levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

Elemental State: At 8th level, and every three levels there after (11th, 14th, and 17th) they can select an option taken from the list below. These features represent the primal essence of the elemental forms. Air, Darkness, Fire, and Water flow and shift with the speed and quickness of mercury while Earth, Light, Metal, and Wood are rooted in Strength and Stamina. An elementalist cannot select an elemental state more than once:

• Natural Instincts: An elementalist gains a +2 bonus to a set of skills thats based on their elemental focus- Air, Darknes, Fire, and Water receive a this bonus to Dexterity-based skill checks. Earth, Light, Metal, and Wood receive this bonus to Strength-based skill checks.

• Focusing Power: An elementalist may select the Spell Focus feat and apply that benefit to spells associated with their focused element. Alternatively, they can select a Combat Feat. They must still meet the prerequisites for that feat.

• Primal Conditioning: An elementalist receives a +1 bonus to a saving throw that corresponds to their specific element- Air, Darkness, Fire, Water receive this bonus to Reflex saves. Earth, Light, Metal, and Wood receive this bonus to Fortitude saves.

• Elemental Flux: An elementalist mimics the basic fundamentals of their preferred element through controlled movements- Air, Darkness, Fire, Water may ignore difficult terrain. Earth, Light, Metal, and Wood add their Wisdom mofifier to damage rolls on any charge attack.

TABLE 1:1 The Elementalist

Level	BAB	   Fort  Ref  Will  Unarmed  Special
                   Save  Save Save   Damage
1st	+0	     +0	  +2	+2      1d6	 Bonus language, cantrips, elemental focus, watchful spirit
2nd	+1	     +0	  +3	+3      1d6	 Bonus feat
3rd	+2	     +1	  +3	+3      1d6	 Spell secret, unarmed strike
4th	+3	     +1	  +4	+4      1d6	 Elemental ability
5th	+3	     +1	  +4	+4      1d6	 Armored body
6th	+4	     +2	  +5	+5      1d8	 Spell secret
7th	+5	     +2	  +5	+5      1d8	 Bonus feat
8th	+6/+1	     +2	  +6	+6      1d8	 Elemental ability, elemental state
9th	+6/+1	     +3	  +6	+6      1d8      Spell secret
10th	+7/+2	     +3	  +7	+7      1d10	 Elemental focus, greater watchful spirit
11th	+8/+3	     +3	  +7	+7      1d10	 Elemental state
12th	+9/+4	     +4	  +8	+8      1d10	 Elemental ability, spell secret
13th	+9/+4	     +4	  +8	+8      1d10	 Bonus feat
14th	+10/+5	     +4	  +9	+9      2d6	 Elemental state
15th	+11/+6/+1    +5	  +9	+9      2d6	 Spell secret
16th	+12/+7/+2    +5	  +10	+10     2d6	 Elemental ability
17th	+12/+7/+2    +5	  +10	+10	2d6      Elemental state
18th	+13/+8/+3    +6	  +11	+11	2d8      Spell secret
19th	+14/+9/+4    +6	  +11	+11     2d8	 Bonus feat
20th	+15/+10/+5   +6	  +12	+12     2d8	 Elemental ability
Diffan Posted - 13 Oct 2010 : 20:03:19
ELEMENTALIST

Elementalist are practitioners of an ancient form of spellcasting that derives it's power from the elemental forces of the world. Through careful study and practice, these spellcasters, also sometimes called "Benders", can manipulate forces of the primal and spiritual essence to devastating effects and power. Elementalists are wide spread through out the world and are often mistaken for hedge wizards and sorcerers. It's only when the Elementalist displays the raw power of nature that one questions their mysterious source of energy.

Adventures: Elementalists typically adventure to expand their knowledge of the world, both magical and mundane. Unlike wizards, who carefully approach adventures with planning and deduction, an elementalist uses wisdom to temper their curiosity. Since elementalists cast their spells like a sorcerer, they feel they are ready for anything that might be thrown at them.

Characteristics: Elementalists are the arcane spellcasters who draw on many cultural tastes and ideals. Often, they blend their spellcasting with an array of martial practices from eastern culture and fighting styles. But as with wizards and sorcerers, their spells are their primary class feature, and as such assume an all-important role in their lives. Many elementalists spells draw on the power of the eight elements (Air, Darkness, Earth, Fire, Light, Metal, Water, and Wood). These are the forces that make an elementalist unique to their spellcasting brethren. Finally, elementalists are adept at manipulating their spells, increasing their range, duration, or effect, or eliminating verbal or somatic components through permanent metamagic effects.

Alignment: Elementalists tend to stand apart from the lawful societies predominant in most cultures. This is modified, though, by race as one racial society changes from another. They have strong tendencies that are formed mostly from the main element they choose. Some elements, such as Air, have a chaotic style and those elementalists who chose that element are chaotic. The elements are associated with at least one or more alignments and when an elementalist chooses their Elemental Focus, their alignment must match at least one associated with that element. The elemental-alignments are: Air--Chaotic; Earth--Lawful; Fire--Chaotic; Light--Good or Neutral; Metal--Lawful; Shadow--Evil or Neutral; Water--Good or Neutral; Wood--Neutral.

Background: Elementalist crave magical power just as other spellcasters do, however, they often don't enroll into any colleges of wizardry for their type of spellcasting would surely get them expelled. So their thirst drives them to seek out others like themselves--hermits, recluses, or exiles who have gained the secrets they seek. Many elementalists are trained by a single mentor in this fashion. Others, who's society permits and accepts what an elementalist is, take on apprentices to pass down their legacy.

Races: While most elementalists are human, members of all the common races (and sometimes uncommon) can be known to express the abilities of an elementalist. Dwarves have been known to accept elementalists in their society more so than any other type of arcane spellcasting class due to the elementalist's affinity towards the Earth, Fire, and Metal elements. Elf elementalists typically associate themselves with the Air, Light, and Wood elements because of their love for the great forests.

Other Classes: Elementalists generally don't like members of other arcane class. They see wizards as boring librarians, searching through endless tomes to gain their might when the elemental forces could be at their fingertips. They see sorcery as a weak imitation of their own power and scoff that some sorcerers claims they have bloodlines that link themselves to elemental forces. And while Bards are good for a bawdry song, their limited spellcasting makes them a rather weak offensive force on the battlefield. As for non-spellcasting classes, an elementalist is aware that without fighters and knights to block the enemy soldiers, a cleric or shaman to heal their wounds, and perhaps a rogue to deal with pesky traps and locks their path to knowledge is obstructed by impassable and possibly fatal obstacles.

In the Realms Elementaist's are often viewed as wizards or sorcerers who dabble in martial fighting practices to complement their spells in the Western areas of Faerun. This is by no means an accurate viewpoint. Elementalists blend their connection to the Weave with arcane magic and martial forms to gain a stronger graps on the powerful elements that the world itself offers. Though there are few schools dedicated to the practices of Elementalists, they rarely need any formal schooling to master the Art. Many monk monistaries throughout the Western Heartlands, Cormyr, the Sword Coast and in the Demonlands of Damara, Vassa, and Impiltur accept those with the elemental gift and teach them to become a better hand-to-hand warrior. In the Unapproachable East, Elementalists are well known for their control over the very elements and show them much respect. It's only here, in Kara-Tur that any sort of formalized training is done in regards to training Elementalists.

Additionally, Elementalists are common in Zakhara, and given the Elemental nature of their folklore (Djinni), they also have a somewhat 'spiritual' aspect when viewed by the public. Some earth elementalists, also known as Geomancers, were common in the Jungle Kingdoms of northern Zakhara, and there appears to be some ancient elemental connections in the Utter East, the border region between Zakhara and main continent of Faerun. This has lead many to the conclusion that the 'Southern magic', as 'Northern' people have called it, was actually of a more elemental nature, and where 'Sorcerers' originally came from. This is a purely speculative viewpoint held by many wizards and some southern sorcerers alike.
While not traditionally an elementalist, the Shugenja of Kara-Tur take this belief a step further as they consider themselves Elemental priests. Both the Zakharan and eastern religions do not separate the elemental nature spirits from the divine, as most western cultures do.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000