Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Some ridiculously un-canon Realmswork

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jorkens Posted - 13 Aug 2010 : 11:38:44
Well, Thauramarth you asked for it.

I've been goofing around with just seeing how the Realms would develop if I just started to write in every idea I have thought out or used throughout the years. I plan to start with the 2nd ed. Campaign sett, write myself through the format and then just take product after product that I like and see what I can make fit. And most likely never finish, but that’s not really the point.

Be warned that there are no rules of canon here, so this is in the grey area whether it could be called the Realms at all. But no disrespect towards any writers or editions are intended.

As I have not had my dear wife go through it my dyslexia will probably shine through a bit and for that I am sorry. Style and tone will probably be decided by the records being played as I wrote and should probably have been edited and formed a bit, but that will have to wait. Any comments are of course welcome.

Here we go...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xaeyruudh Posted - 21 Dec 2012 : 17:03:58
Ah, I see. I'm somewhat less concerned about backlash from WotC over what we do here, but I can understand your hesitation. I've often thought it wiser to apply my creativity toward writing my own publishable world rather than repealing the undesirable developments in the Realms, but... it seems I just like the Realms too much to focus on anything else for long.

Best of luck with your new projects. And thanks for what you've shared here. I'll be among those hoping to see more, some time.
Jorkens Posted - 21 Dec 2012 : 07:37:50
Thanks for the compliment.

Quite honestly I cant say for sure. It irritates me a bit that I quit (not as much as it annoys me that I never finished the Birds of Faerun, but still), but its just been to hectic in addition to just feeling it was a bit pointless to do in the first place. I just started it because I was pretty angry at a few things here at Candlekeep at that time. I don't really follow Candlekeep that closely any more, so I had some plans about maybe continuing it on the Piazza forums, but I am a bit weary because a complete rewrite of the Realms might get the site in trouble (I am a bit paranoid about this, but I more or less figured that it was safer here at Candlekeep as I would quickly get a message to stop).

So it doesn't seem like I will do anything in the nearest future, especially as have been busy with goofing around a homebrew world on the Piazza, but it might happen at one point.
xaeyruudh Posted - 18 Dec 2012 : 18:59:22
AbracaJorkens! *resurrects thread*

I just found this fabulous collection of ideas, while searching for mentions of shanat (a futile endeavor, since every post with Shanatar or Ashanath comes up too) and there's too much to read in one sitting while holding my previous task in mind but I was going to ask if you were still working on this... until your last post. So instead I'll ask: have you changed your mind and returned to working on this?
Jorkens Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 09:58:20
I think its safe to say that I am laying this project dead. Featherdale was well under way, but enough is enough and it seems time to move on. It was fun though.
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 23:10:30
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

quote:

Gheft. A huge intelligent spider that has decided to lair next to the camp. He is polite and talkative (as spiders go) and has recently sent a suggestion from the masters of the forest that the head of any drow brought to the spiders will bring a reward of fifty silver pieces. The servants of the spider queen may be trying to spread from their ancient holdings under Shadowdale and the Masters know ancient tree-runes that will turn the mummified heads into powerful guardians.

This is so utterly great. I am soooo stealing and adapting this one.

Just curious, who will you use as the masters of the spiders? Other large spiders or something else?

I was thinking Araena or some unique beast...not quite sure yet. What I like so much is that, knowing my players, a polite and talkative spider would put them on guard (at first) but later off guard...and then the plot striketh. But the main thing I´d like to steal is Gheft himself as NPC. Needle module...might have to read up on that one to remember. Wouldn´t want to miss potentially good options.
Now those halflings...that´s a nice, twisty idea aswell. Jeez, this throws up many options, which means it´s a really nifty idea.
Thanks for that one.
Quale Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 17:45:35
quote:

Just curious, do you mean in format, style or content? I am wondering as I am still trying to find the right format and length for each part and any suggestions are welcomed.

the content, all those mysterious and weird spirits, the ambiguous style, and the size is about right
Jorkens Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 16:25:02
That's the last part of Deepingdale, then it is of to Featherdale sometime soon I hope.

Deepingdale II

The inhabitants of the modern dale all live close to nature, living of small-scale farming and gardening combined with hunting and fishing. The tools used are primitive and mostly made of wood as iron is strictly forbidden. Much trading is done, mostly in Highmoon, and luxury items from the South and East are exchanged for the furs, honey and feathers gathered in the dale. Silks perfumes and dyed cotton are then traded further to the northern dales by the local merchants. A new caravan or special market days can make the market of Higmoon into a buzzing beehive of traders, hagglers, entertainers and curious inhabitants of all the Dales. Thieves and spies are of course aplenty, but many hidden guardians are found in the marketplace and as late as last year two hidden War Wizards of Cormyr were flushed out by the now dead Welda of Battledale, using what is rumoured to have been a Narfellan bonestaff. Sembians are of course common but, like agents of Archendale, have a tendency to end up in the local bin. In earlier days spies and agents of Lashan and Zenth-servants were common (so much so that a permanent gallows was erected and a hiresword named Bhaegdas given the role of executioner. But with the fall of Lashan and the knowledge of certain symbols and runes drawn on the skulls of those caught, these threats have lessened.

The town of Highmoon, the seat of the Dales lord, is the only real urban settlement of Deepingdale, and serves as the main trading centre of the area, barring no one except the merchants of Archendale. It is the location of the Tower of the Rising Moons and also of the temple of Oghma that has become legendary in the Inner Sea lands because of the famous library it houses, said to be second only to Candlekeep in the Heartlands. Travellers from all countries gather here and learned, scholars, sages and teachers scour the halls in search for needed lore.

To pay for their travels and gifts to the temple many of these sages also teach whilst staying in the area. This has given size to the Princess Grove, a place of learning where sages debate and pupils gather. Among the permanent teachers in the area are Imrylls descendant Chermiic Pencutter, Dhamina, the Hummingbird mage, the Feystag siblings Gethmeri and Mall, Empethec the philosopher-trader of Ulzel. the seeking spirit Exege'ee, and the Bhaergala known as Gatherer of Songs,who is said to still remember some of his race's collective memory of Myth Drannor. There’s even Chexay, a bipedal panther bearing huge batlike wings and claiming expertise in all subjects tied to the stars. The creature is from another world and some say that it belongs to the Karkions, beings who fly through the cosmos for near eternities.

The price of learning will wary with the zeal and self esteem of the teachers, but most are reasonable. Usually knowledge is here the greatest commodity. The grove is at most times quite peaceful, as even mercenary captains and foreign wizards see the advantages of being welcomed here. In the recent days though, there has been quite an uproar here after a large group of Feyr attacked the Grove from the forest. This might be tied to Darkwatch, and a suggestion of this might lead some of the wise to take a more active interest in the history of the dale.

Where technology is concerned the elven-tied dale is, logically enough, quite conservative. The weapons and armour used here are sometimes made of bronze, but most of the dalesmens armaments are made from the black, thorny branches of the Barausk. The Barausk trees are common in the lands of Deepingdale and Harrowdale, although Imryll had to be persuaded by the Treant Ghelder to let the (in her opinion) ugly tree live. When cut the branches will be hard as iron within an hour, making for an easy supply of spears, arrows and even swords made by expert woodcarvers and carpenters. Both men and elves are able to, as the mercenaries of Lashan and the woodcutters of Archendale have found out, pierce even iron mesh and heavy shields using these weapons. Because of this there are few smiths and little craftsmanship that doesn’t depend on the working of wood or clay.

Although most of the Dalesmen today are human or half elf, descendant from southern Chondathans and Cormanthyr elves, Deepingdale is still seen as an elfland in the south. Many of the elves of the dale have also been so caught in the dream of the Deeping Princess that they by now are permanent beings of Faerun. Most of the pure elves gather near the village of Bristar where they worship by the sacred springs which nourishes them with its leakage from Evermeet. Because of this their lives in the Dale are long, but with time their bodies die and they take the shape of tree spirits in death and with time becoming ghosts. This ghostly nature of the elves has weakened the runes of warding found around the prison pit of Darkwatch, as it defies the wording of the ward lasting as long as the elves stay in the area.

Death, seen as an important part of nature and a dimension of beauty, is unfortunately still tied to the Darkwatch where all the dead and the rotten has been dumped throughout the years. The forests has been fertilized with magic, so the dead are not needed for the land to renew itself. This has increased the size of the pit, not just materially, but also magically, with the spirits of those still trapped in their bodies when dumped. Their nature is changing and so is the seal.

With the weakening the corruption of the pit is starting to spread. Giant Sundews and Chokers are growing common, three lovers were found dead in the branches of a Vampire rosebush and Hangman trees are lining old paths. Trolls are appearing from the earth and even the common animals of the land has taken on a viscous nature. According to Dhamina it seems like the legendary mists of Deepingdale are being used to spread the rot, with the looms and the misttanglers moving out of the dale in the recent years. Rhauntides, who the last year has been busy with travels to a world of Dragons and elemental wizards, suspects that there are other forces, probably from the rotting jungles of the Underdark, pressuring into the pits from below and driving back even more of the ancient wards.

The druids of the south has warned the dalesmen again and again of these threats, but few listen. The Dale beauty, peace and reputation as a garden of the learned has enshrouded it in a cloak of invulnerability of sorts. Few can find it in their heart to in any way condemn the Dale. The priestesses of Chaunthea has been blinded by the fertility of the land and has locally become a cult of gardeners praising Mystra and Lathander for the growth, not seeing the lack of true life in the dale. Some, like the sage Rhauntide of Highmoon has warned both the priests and the aggressively painted druids who recently arrived, but no one seems to listen. Even the ancient rites of fertility are taken lightly here and the communities blessing of the Earth in spring and the harvest in the fall are now empty prayers done with smiles instead of sweat. The seasons, both of plants and of dalesmen, are seen as picturesque variations of the Princesses blessings instead of the cyclic fighting and mating of the gods that the druids proclaim. Angered the druids has started to open minor glitches in the walls of Darkwatch to let some of the energy loose, they have also started bringing predators and plants long forgotten into the dale. From Archenwoods and hidden gates in the Glaun and in the Dun hills they import both fertility, magic and predators. If the flow and cycle between rotten death and reborn life is not reshaped, the pit will soon split.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 16:18:48
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Deepingdale is the favourite so far

Just curious, do you mean in format, style or content? I am wondering as I am still trying to find the right format and length for each part and any suggestions are welcomed.
Quale Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 11:50:39
Deepingdale is the favourite so far
Jorkens Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 19:32:40
The whole problem with the cosmology is finding the balance between it having the form imagined by the beholder (no pun here) and the "anything goes" idea. In other words keeping it useful in the game. I can think of hundreds of spaced-out ideas, but most of them would make it absolutely impossible to run an adventure in the planes. For example how would the effect be when two very different creatures from different races travelled together?

As for the Spiders masters. Both the Araena and the Chak from Mentzer's Needle module are alternative. The Chak would then be the guardians of a gate to the moon (one moon, it needn't be the Realms moon of course)and be involved in hidden trading with realmsian merchants. I also thought about the classic ancient twin wizards caught in a tower or something other relatively cliché. I have a feeling there's an old He-Man episode playing in the back of my brain somewhere that could be blamed for the last one. Or maybe a small community of gnomes or halflings that long ago escaped from the dragon shaped wizards of Netheril and hid in the forest. With time they have taken on a culture that blended with that of the giant spiders, using nets and poison, living in boles in the trees etc. I am really not sure how I will handle it if a group ever heads into the Forest.

The last part of Deepingdale should be finished tomorrow; I had a hard time keeping myself from overwriting again.
Markustay Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 18:00:43
Great lore, as usual.

Keep it coming.

quote:
Just curious, who will you use as the masters of the spiders? Other large spiders or something else?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but the very first thing that popped into my head were the Aranea (which were created to hunt Drow in FR's lore).
quote:

Planescape's Earth has a place called Aviary inhabited by the avariel, ridiculous imo, this would be a better alternative.
I like these ideas myself, and in my own HB I do something similar.

The world tree is what I refer to as the 'local cosmology'. This is the form the Border ethereal takes (that psuedo-plane that borders the Feywild, Shadow, and Elemental Planes) - the way it appears is based on the expectations of the Prime folk who view it. In FR's local region of the universe it looks like a forest close-up (as it did in that story with Elminster, and is sometimes referred to as the wood between the world). If someone were able to view it from a distance, they would realize those massive trees that they thought was a forest were actual just twigs of the world tree. This world tree itself is actually just a small side-branch of an even larger tree that permeates all realities - Yggdrasil.

On other worlds it will appear differently due to the local inhabitant's concepts of the universe. For instance, the border ethereal looks like a 'Cosmic Crossroads' in the Marvelverse, and it looks like a dark and misty sea in the Melnibonean universe. The area where all these 'local cosmologies' meet would be the deep ethereal, which is actually Yggsdrasil (which is so vast that it is indiscernible as a tree when one is on it).

Just my take - more of my marrying all the cross-setting lore together.
Jorkens Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 13:17:50
I tried to keep this a bit shorter. It became a bit "purple prose" (a term I usually hate as its to misused, but here it fits), but it seemed to fit.

Deepingdale I.

Deepingdale is also known as the Dale of Trees and as the name implies, it is a heavily wooded area found in a broad valley located north of Archendale, centring around the shallow river Glasemril and its tributaries. It is bordered by the Dunn hills to the west and the cold fens of the Glaun, the centre of a thousand legends about the dead and beings from other worlds, near Archendale. Seventeen groupings of Menhirs and innumerable runeclad standing stones guards the fens borders. And the Dun hills are a well known hunting ground of kobolts, raiders from the white painted goblins of the Ghaberrica,and groups of mongrelmen as well as the breeding ground of feared flaxen-haired manticoras. In the Archenwoods dangers are plenty and the baboons are looking hungrily towards the dalesmens crops, but inside the Dale proper there are few dangers to be found.

To many people, both bards and practical merchants, this Dale is a relic of the ancient days of Myth Drannor when elves and humans lived side by side in this world and the forests bloomed with a hundred red flower, a hundred golden and a hundred white showing the ancient colours of the elves. All the plants of Cormanthor are said to have had the ability to speak and all spirits where sentient lore guarders. The birds and the animals were without blood-lust and all their senses where directly linked to those of the gods.

How much of this is myth is of course debatable. The area was earlier known mostly for its golden Anderes deer and innumerable Bastet hummingbirds and was seen as holy ground by the seelie races of the forest. Because of this the area was a logical choice for the reborn realm of elves and man when Imryll Eluarshee, later known as the Deeping Princess decided to form her Realm. According to Dhamina, the Hummingbird mage this half elven lady was born by accident in her mothers travel between the old Sember gate and Evermeet, giving her both second sight and a distorted picture of life. Her mother was an elven noble of the Cormanthor and her father a river spirit who had taken the shape of a human. She raised the Ivory Throne between the great tusks of the mastodons still hunted in the East and gathered those elves and humans she saw as the most hopeful from the forests to be the first subjects of her new Realm. From this throne, now found within the Tower of the Rizing Moon, the dale is still governed by the modern ruler of Deepingdale, lord Theremen Ulath.

The Deeping Princess now declared that no animal should in these lands be slaves, only the willing dog and the independent cat should follow man, the Moon horse and the pixies colts followed the fey. No one could stop the Tressym from appearing with travellers from other worlds. The hunter, seen as the first living being, was the ruler of life as the days of peace were over and the Deeping Princess ordered that all threats to the living hunter not of the seelie or spirit world should be removed from her land. Predators that were no threat to elves or man (those common in the faerie realms such as elven hounds and cats are included) were allowed to stay as long as their numbers were kept low by man. Brambles, dead trees and the dark trees with their lichens and mushrooms were banished and the golden leaves of elven trees,silver birches were spread along with the beautiful Jade Cocoa of the Border Forest, and flowers gathered from the woods of a dozen worlds to create a garden-like beauty unlike any other area of Cormanthor.

Bexegheii, the spirit of the Valley protested to these changes to its ancient body, as did several mire dwellers and ancient trees, but Imryll took little heed to these in her quest to create what she pictured to be the mirror of Evermeet in Faerun. With spells learned from her father she changed the reluctant spirits of Deepingdale into docile beings content to sleep and dream of the days of creation and banished those she could not control to the area now known as Darkwatch.

The massive gathering of anger and dark wilderness in this one place summoned the will of Moander. This God, the destroyer of Spirits, who as a being made from the ultimate chaos between life an death, weaved the land and the life together to create a pit of the darkest life seen in Faerun in that age. Thousands of beings, both unique and in groups, sprung from this pit. Among them where the demented spirits of the Four Rivers, the forest demon of Chimair, the Deepspawn, the Aratha, the wolfweres and the Aurumvorax. There where also creatures of less evil created from the love and laughter contained in the spirits of the dead, such as the Mageking of the West, the horse spirits of Sember, the Algoids of Cormyr, the Zygraat of Scardale and several beings bearing the shapes of other races. Even today most tyrants and mages in these lands has at one time been accused of being a child of Darkwatch. The threats from the pit were so great that it stretched across dimensions and was fought by elves, druids and others coming out of fear. The Image of Moander was banished and sealed for all time. The druids, angered by Imrylls attempt at governing the land in the place of spirits and energies that strengthened the land, warned the princess to let the forest grow back to its natural shape and to let the shadow of Malar walk among the trees, but she refused.

To this day the dream of Imryll has been followed by the men and elves of Deepingdale along with their common descendants. Imryll is honoured and at times worshipped as a guardian spirit among many of the modern dalesmen, especially around Highmoon where Glaemrils Ford is a common place of personal sacrifices and prayers. Even the worshippers of the Moss Queen in the Archen Falls travel her to honour the one they call their goddesses daughter. The queens burial place at the borders of the Glaun bog is also a place of pilgrimage, although the exact location of the tomb is unknown.
Jorkens Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 13:15:09
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

quote:

Gheft. A huge intelligent spider that has decided to lair next to the camp. He is polite and talkative (as spiders go) and has recently sent a suggestion from the masters of the forest that the head of any drow brought to the spiders will bring a reward of fifty silver pieces. The servants of the spider queen may be trying to spread from their ancient holdings under Shadowdale and the Masters know ancient tree-runes that will turn the mummified heads into powerful guardians.

Dart Ambermoon Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 21:11:27
quote:

Jorkens Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 19:00:40
I am one of the few people who never really cared for Planescape; I can see the quality of the products, but I wont use it in my game. The tree idea could maybe work, but it seems a bit far-fetched when I read through it. But then again, that's what the planes should be in my opinion, a place of anything goes and unlikely strangeness are found everywhere.
Quale Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 12:14:36
Planescape's Earth has a place called Aviary inhabited by the avariel, ridiculous imo, this would be a better alternative
Jorkens Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 11:22:16
I had the idea that Myth Drannor should work in the same way, having an existence on multiple planes.

As for the Cloud Tree on the Earth Plane. The honest and true answer is that I wrote that as a brainstorming and just wrote Earth when I meant Air. But that's a boring answer; the alternative (again brainstorming here) is that the Cloud Tree is a legendary dimensional pocket within the plane of Earth that is more or less a Hollow World made up by a treelike structure of roots and arm-like branches that is filled by running rivers and passages, like the pores and sap of a real tree. The innermost centre of the tree is a golden heat source that sends its powers throughout the Earth plant and drives the fluids around in the Tree. The outermost shell of the tree is covered by a thin layer of mist created by the meeting of the moisture of the Tree with the light and heat radiating mosses and fungi coating the Earth walls around it, creating a tree crown of heavy mist instead of leaves.

The tree has a whole ecology of worms, pecks, elementals etc that functions as the numerous microscopic and small creatures living within a common tree.

No, it doesn't work that well, but I gave it a shot. Lets just say I wrote wrong. But that doesn't solve the question of what shape the Tree would take in the Plane of Earth.

This reminds me that I should sit down and write Deepingdale one of the nest days.
Quale Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 11:07:54
quote:

The form stretches across all realities and dimensions, but will take forms formed both by the words of that reality and the minds of the living in all forms. The Flaming tree on the Plane of Fire, the Cloud Tree on the Plane of Earth, the nightmarish rotting Tree of Death found in the Hells and the dimensions of demons are examples. Some have speculated that Turlang of the High Forest is the Realmsian image of the World Tree given that form by the worlds intense magic of life and spirits. By going to these strongest manifestations in each world one can travel the dimensions. The most dangerous version is the travel of ones own true form from one reality or world into another, but the travel of the Dream and the mind is more common. The form then stays behind, but the strength of the name will make it possible for some people to take a new shape at their destination, which will be adapted to that world. For example travelling to the Hells in this form will give one the shape of a denizen of that world, usually one has little control over the shape, which is the main reason the incorporeal travel is most common. The travel itself will be based on the beliefs of the traveller, it can be instantaneous, it could be travelling on the Dream Ships or it could be a walk across a thousand worlds. It should be noted that if any being on another plane knows the true name of a creature it can either draw it into its own plane or banish it from the same.

This is great Jorkens, so the Tree has some hidden ''True Form'', it's multidimensional, it's appearance is dependent on the collective belief or it adapts to the dimension, why would the Cloud Tree be in Elemental Earth?
Jorkens Posted - 12 Oct 2010 : 18:30:02
And then the last part of Daggerdale.

Another camp can be found in the borders of the Spiderhaunt woods. It is a small hunter and forager camp, which also collects Gethes-flowers from the forest (sometimes even trading with the spiders and their masters) which are used in dyes in Sembia to the south. The camp is Randals safest resting place, a quiet spot out of reach from the Zenthilars most of the time. Much of the plunder he takes from the Zenths and humanoids are taken here and later traded to Tilverton and Cormyr for goods. The locals here are refugees from the north, mostly wood people and charcoal burners that escaped during Malyks rule. Few fighters are needed.

Keheriic Whitelock is a small trader and representative of the thieves of Tilverton. He is usually found in the camp, but is not a member of Morns men. He sends messages to the guild with two silver owls. Any attempt at contact with the Cormyrean lord of the town will be hindered by Keheriic.

Gheft. A huge intelligent spider that has decided to lair next to the camp. He is polite and talkative (as spiders go) and has recently sent a suggestion from the masters of the forest that the head of any drow brought to the spiders will bring a reward of fifty silver pieces. The servants of the spider queen may be trying to spread from their ancient holdings under Shadowdale and the Masters know ancient tree-runes that will turn the mummified heads into powerful guardians..

Targel. An old manservant of Barab Morn and earlier acolyte of Lathander the sun god. He is the oldest follower of Randals and very eager to see the rule of the Morns reinstated. Targel is also worried about the lack of interest towards female company that Randal has shown, something that makes the question of a heir somewhat delicate. Because of this he has taken it upon himself to gather any information about surviving relatives of the Morns in case Randal should die. He has found four possible candidates for the rulership of the Dale.

Another southern camp is in the forest where the Dagger River flows into the Ashaba. This is also mainly used to gather provisions for the other camps in the north. It is located in a small Moat-and-Bailey castle overlooking the river fork. Five small boats are drawn up on the river bank near by. It is defended by thirty of Randals followers, mostly loyal Daggerfolks and their families. Randals largest granary is located within the castle, as are copies of the spellbooks and magical writings of all his loyal spellcasters and a large part of the riders weapon reserves. These are guarded by a magical symbol of death dedicated to all visages of the cult of Three. The benevolent face of Nahasr and the cold stare of the turmish Jergal and the skull of the southern Myrkul. For the symbol to be avoided a follower of the three gods, two of the magic users, a Morn must be present, bearing a juniper figurine carved to show a wolfshead. Three of these figurines have been made.

The eastern camp can be found in the Dagger hills. This one is not permanent, moving every few weeks or when they suspect that Zenths are approaching. The location of the camp is known by Randal through the Andar decorating the sheath of his eating knife. It is usually found north of the main trail through the highlands though, as this is the area where the largest deposits of the famed emeralds of Daggerdale can be found. Unfortunately the emeralds are holy to several hill spirits and these should be placated before mining started. Mystics and others able to communicate with the hills and stone spirits are highly sought after. The small creeks and brooks have mostly been placated with silver already.

Many also still talk about curses put upon the Dagger Hills by the elves of the Emerald Eye, the fey which the rumours say still hide in the hills, waiting to get their revenge. Therefore only the bravest followers that Randal can manage without travels with this camp. Other dangers are of course plenty. The hills are a common hunting ground for several clans of hobgoblins worshipping the Horned Skull of Bhaee; these have no friendly ties to the mercenaries of Zenthil Keep which they see as slaves. At the moment their relationship with Randal is neutral, with hope of improving even more. To the dismay of Randals friend Zelos Thund in Dagger Falls, the lord of the Dale is contemplating an alliance with the hobgoblins, both to guard his eastern border and to make it possible to start mining the area again. Unfortunately he will need both gold and other sacrifices to pay of the humanoids with. In addition the hobgoblins are allied to three small groups of bugbears who demand their part, which includes humans for sacrifice to the Skull. The recent killings of several Hillsfariean settlers by these same bugbears are another unforeseen hindrance.

The Hill-camp is lead by Bherget Shaeerlat, the son of Ammakar of Hillsfar. Bherget is a friendly man that hopes to steer Randal away from the worst temptations put before him. Bherget uses an axe enspelled to shield him from arrows, an item stolen from the family vaults after he was disinherited for his relationship to the sphinx Gegherreii, a scholar from Saelmur, a legendary city far to the south. The sphinx travelled with him, but even if Bherget can depend on the protection of his lover it has become quite clear that the creature has no loyalty towards Randal.

Ammareia is a known dragon worshipper and therefore mistrusted by many of Randals men, but she is a great cook and seamstress that mends both the clothes and the skins of the wounded. She is a great drinker and even better singer.

Bucasett Silverhelm. A hobgoblin scout that at the moment travels with Randals men at the behest of his chief to judge the humans strength and intentions. He wears a purple cloak from Turmish and is the proud owner of a Sember pony which for some reason is loyal to him.

Empetin Ourbarn. A minor mage from Hillsfar, known for his summonings and fire spells. The emeralds are his main motivation, but he has little love for the people of Zenthil Keep (or the whole north-coast for that matter). He is an earlier apprentice of Maalthiir, although he has no knowledge of the wizards tethen bird magic.

In addition to these camps Randal Morn is trying to establish two more camps at the moment.

One is in the Border forest, where Randals men, with the help of certain Harpers, is looking for the Pool of Ameziira. The magical spring is said to be able to transport any one to a place or to a person shown in its surface. The spring is said to be sacred to the vicious satyrs and their druidic allies of the forest and is said to be guarded by the wizard Ogheierha, whose Tower of Blue stands near. The Harpers have little hope of gaining the use of the spring, but they want to make sure no one else does either, whether it be Randal, the Zenths or others. Randal has sent the owl Ohee guarded by most of Selderreas Eraka to try to make deals with the inhabitants of the area. He hopes that the common enemy, Zenthil Keep, will make an alliance possible. They are followed by a dozen carpenters and warriors who hope to put up some sort of base in the forest.

The ruler of Daggerdale is also looking to resettle the castle of White Crag. Having the monster- haunted ruin in the southern Dagger hills as a holding would make his rulership of the area clear to the outside world and would be a powerful symbol to the inhabitants of the eastern Dale. The
Dwarves are interested in helping to repair the castle if given the possibility to mine emeralds from the hills, but they will not participate in retaking the keep. There is also signs of tin of high quality, which could be used in the making of bronze.

Baille of Ravenscrag, a veteran of Randals force since the crossing of the desert is overseeing the plans to clear out White Crag. Baille is a fighter of legendary bravery, but he is not an administrator or a diplomat and he is really not qualified for this assignment. He is hard pressed and starting to come apart. The recent conflict with the Shallain freehold, started when some of his men killed a Chondathan Bull that was the pride of Beghe's flock, may be the last straw. Until now there has only been a couple of minor skirmishes, but if this conflict were to increase it could break Randals rule of the east.
Jorkens Posted - 12 Oct 2010 : 08:33:41
There is some minor work left on the rest of the camps, but it will follow soon. Then its of to Deepingdale, which should end up much shorter. I hope.

Daggerdale part IV

The Camps of Randal Morn.

To keep his limited control of Daggerdale, and his own life for that matter, Randal Morn has been forced into a more or less semi-nomadic existence, travelling between various armed camps and strongholds. And since the Zentharims discovery of Samara of Mielikki he has become even more dependent on these permanent strongholds for rest and healing. Most of his followers are gathered in these safe areas and patrol the surrounding lands whilst gathering resources for their lord.

As Randal Morn himself travels between the various camps he surrounds himself with a small group of his strongest or most trusted followers. These are the ones he can depend on to lay down their lives for him or are to important to loose, no matter how much trouble they cause. Usually they number less than twenty unless a battle is imminent.

Common travelling companions.
The Eraka shaman Eshekera, who divines the future and threats of Randal and his Realms is distrusted by many, especially for his use of the bones of the dead.

lliicair the Kitecaster, Randals closest friend and sometimes lover sends his birds out to spy and deliver messages throughout the Dale. The tethen horseman is said to have mastered most of the bird runes of the west coast and even some of the chapechanging chants of Netheril. His bird magic has become especially important when meeting with the eagle worshipping Erakas of the North, and Randal is debating whether to send him to lead the camp being established in the Border Forest. Known as a joker and is responsible for keeping the men and women in a good mood.

Eirevilca Vale and her daughter Musk Rose are devoted to Randal and even though there are many who could best them in a fight few could be more loyal. They usually sleep by Randals side.

The Ogre Bechga of the Three-forked spear, is a terrible fighter from the Desertmouths and the last survivor of a raiding band defeated by Randal. The ogre, being a practical being, decided that Randal was a better leader than the dead orc chief and volunteered this services. He even accepted the bronze collar suggested by Randal as a sign that he was a servant of the Dales lord. It has no effect on the ogres pride, and in fact he finds the heavy chain attached to it to be a handy surprise weapon in battles. Being from the mountain tribes he has little love for the tattooed ogres of the Thar and the problems with the Erakas has therefore been minimal. With the increased contact with the Brightblades and survivors of Tethyamar Randal has gotten a problem though, trying to convince the dwarves of his good intentions with the ogre grinning over his shoulder.

Elicae Harrowshaft is a minor trader with contacts in Hillsfar, who has shown a natural talent for languages and serves as Randals translator. He is well paid for his services, but is not eager to join in combat.

Eremec Riverborn fought for Malyk when he first chased the Morns from the Dale and is proud of it, but he now sees Randal as the best choice for the Dales future. He is an elderly man with a taste for peaches and citrus fruits, with a warm inn as his favourite location, but he is also an experienced soldier and Randals main adviser against the soldiers of Zenthil Keep.

Bhentag of Tesh is a hunter of renown and the main food gatherer of the core group.

Norumaer Ezhabeer is a chain mail clad swordsman that has served with the Purple Dragons and admires Randal intensely. He carries a flute that can play horses to sleep.

Camps.
Morn has two camps in the Desertmouths. One is an old hunting lodge of the Morns located along a small brook, with a nearby hidden valley where a small herd of cattle is kept for winter rations and a few reserve horses for Randal and his men. The three story building is made of logs and Sun granite blocks gathered from Hlondethan ruins and is more or less a minor castle. The people living here are mostly displaced farmers working for Randal the way they know best. There is also about a dozen foreign fighters and D'Tarig renegades. These serve mostly as guards and scouts in the mountain passes..

Sharn Halfleg and his wife Desmil are urban dwarves from Tilverton who trace their origin to the Lurtaerin dwarves of the Green Fields. They are Morns main diplomats and advisers where dealings with the Brightblade and Tethyamar refugees are concerned. The customs and views of these northern dwarves are somewhat foreign to the two (who find the harsh mountain dwellers too cold and vicious, more or less figures from legends), but a new life was needed after the Purple Dragons marched into Tilverton. Sharn was devoted to Gharri of Gond and Desmil cut the throats of three soldiers the first night of the occupation. At the advice of Filani of Tantras the two headed north, leaving two children in the care of the sage.

The daily husbandry and work is overseen by Ghemmar of Bristar a river worshiper that lost his fields to a flock of Ankehegs. Much to his dismay, the last year has seen the burrowing insects gathering in the foothills of the western Daggerdale, leading him to believe that a curse has been placed upon him. He suspects his cousin Hanseld, a trader in Highmoon, to be behind it and has tried to get word to the mage Rhauntides of Deepingdale to find out if there is a cure.

Emmeri Shaftmaker a hatchet faced, sarcastic, but still charming woman, is the self proclaimed leader of the ladies of the camp and serves as Randals judge when conflict arises among his men. Strangely enough the visiting dwarves has started to view her as the lords representative in the camp. Her closest associates are Antara, Villira Scarchin (who in her spare time also watches over the children) and the zenthish deserters Memberech, Mimbr and Hilstar. These Zenths are killers that keep the area safe and the camp running smoothly. The redheaded Mimbr has spent countless hours training every member of the camp in the use of Chondathan crossbows and slings.

Even further into the mountains is the ancient watchtower of Ezghegardac, a dwarven ruin from the days of Hlondath. The ruin now serves as Randalls weapon storage and is used to make new weapons and repair others. Few people know where this camp is located and the path to the tower is hidden by symbols hiding both tracks and rock formations. The tinker flamboyant Memess and a couple of traders from Teshwave brings supply’s on their trips to buy copper from the goblins to the north. The ancient smithy under the tower is now working full time under the command of the eager young Axaghella the Eastern and her three helpers. It is said that even the Morns Aedree Carpet is hidden here, although others claim it has been destroyed years ago and the one used by Randal now is a fabrication made by Antara to show the history as he would prefer it.
Jorkens Posted - 11 Oct 2010 : 08:02:35
Some thoughts coming from the term the World Ash and the thread about the planes, in other words the planes in my view. There are elements stolen from loose memories of platonic theories about the true form tied to the term itself, some religious elements and a little inspiration from Lin Carter. Mostly BS that I have not thought through, but I like some of the ideas. And no I don’t believe this before someone comments on it. It might be the theories of some Realmsian sages, the belief of one culture or the truth behind the tapestries of the Realms.

The original of everything is the one bearing the true name. The name is tied to the creation and all lesser true name is tied to this one name. The gods are the form taken by their portfolio within each language, but those words are also of a lesser nature from their original one. Because of this the true divinity can only be taken by those that can create a word in its truest form, giving it a essence of its own. That first combination of sound and meaning will be the true form and later be found in different manifestations and natures all over this word. Any language will form an image of this True Form. That is the sin of Netheril, they tried to change their own ties to the true form of the name. For the same reason many Tethens distrust writing, it binds the word, which travels back trough both air and dreams to the original form thereby strengthening it. The bound word sends no strength and even if later read aloud it is a pale imitation of the original word.

The form stretches across all realities and dimensions, but will take forms formed both by the words of that reality and the minds of the living in all forms. The Flaming tree on the Plane of Fire, the Cloud Tree on the Plane of Earth, the nightmarish rotting Tree of Death found in the Hells and the dimensions of demons are examples. Some have speculated that Turlang of the High Forest is the Realmsian image of the World Tree given that form by the worlds intense magic of life and spirits. By going to these strongest manifestations in each world one can travel the dimensions. The most dangerous version is the travel of ones own true form from one reality or world into another, but the travel of the Dream and the mind is more common. The form then stays behind, but the strength of the name will make it possible for some people to take a new shape at their destination, which will be adapted to that world. For example travelling to the Hells in this form will give one the shape of a denizen of that world, usually one has little control over the shape, which is the main reason the incorporeal travel is most common. The travel itself will be based on the beliefs of the traveller, it can be instantaneous, it could be travelling on the Dream Ships or it could be a walk across a thousand worlds. It should be noted that if any being on another plane knows the true name of a creature it can either draw it into its own plane or banish it from the same.

It is possible for a mortal to reach the True Form, although no one has been able to find a logic or process for doing this. It might be a combination of elements of reality, a wish of the True or even the will of the traveller that makes it possible. Children has managed journeys Arch Wizards have failed in making. Both knowledge and physical power (such as a part of the True being) can be begotten, but the True Form will always give what is asked for and the knowledge and power that it can dispense of will kill and destroy any being overreaching itself. Asking for the power of the gods or all knowledge will be certain death, asking for a twig or the answer to a question is relatively safe. It is thought that much of the mortal magic has its beginning in such questions and acts.
Jorkens Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 15:53:31
I don't think every race needs to be mysterious and mythical, but those that aren't should be more integrated for it to work logically for me. I like humanoids and monsters, but some, like fey races and some of the more magical species I like to have an aura of mystery. I don't mind dopplegangers in every brothel, but how does that effect the society in general. How paranoid would people get if dopplegangers were common? The same goes for racial cultures, in many ways Al Quadim had that part right. The different groups will effect each other and things will flow together.

As for the Crown Wars. I never liked them, but I just ignored them. In many ways the GHOtR became a final straw for me personally. Its a great work and a book the makers should rightfully be proud of, but when I read all the elements from various publications through the years put together I found that it quite honestly was not a world I wanted to use. So I have just ignored it and made up my own lore.

As for the Nar Wars. It could be even more interesting when I find out what they are. And embarrassingly enough I was actually mixing the Eraka and Nars there, but I can easily work around that problem.

PS. Could I ask one favour. I am dyslectic and horrible with names, so if you do see a Realmsian name spelled wrong could you point it out? I read Elemister and Suazil for years. Lareal until a few months ago. It is the sort of thing no spelling program can find.

Quale Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 11:51:51
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This is how I ran GretHawk - the Elves in that world were very... mysterious... more like the LotR ones. ...I wouldn't want to run a completely Human world, but I prefer my non-humans to be more 'mythical' ...

yea, not only that but how can you roleplay an alien race, you're always limited by being human. I admit we used to have very exotic groups for the Planescape campaigns, that is fun, but also superficial. I used to explain the human mind and belief (as the Creator Race) creates the planes, that's why all these creatures have human traits. Also for the DMs, I think Gygax said if look at how complex human society is, how difficult would it be then to even try to design an alien one. He also preferred human-centric Hyperborea to Middle Earth. Ed's take on the elves is to make them human-like and flawed, away from the treehugger trope that developed. Then the overexposure reduced the mysteriousness. Anyway I prefer them to be fey-like, mysterious, otherworldly, alien to human morality, capricous, and combination of Vance-like tricksters and Melnibonean arrogance.

quote:

I think FR has lost that. When monsters and creatures out of folklore become common-place, they become uninteresting, IMHO.

agreed, it does not depend just on the individual style of the DM, that mythical sense was lost somewhere on the way, then the monster stats became too important, instead of being just a guideline

quote:

Anyhow, I like what is happening here - I was even thinking about requesting a 'Campaign Workshop' sub-forum be opened up, where we can present a lot of our non-canon ideas and tweaks. The only problem with that is that these are the Forgotten Realms forums, and too much homebrew might upset certain people.

lol, I don't care about canon-nazis, altering things to fit your campaign is an essential part of the game, it's we the players who are supposed to use and develop the plot-hooks, not wait for the future sourcebook to close it for us (e.g. FRCG ).

quote:

In fact, because the Fey (and other mythic creatures) are more inclined to physical changes in appearance then humans are is even more reason not to have separate stats for every single type.

true, fey are inherently defined as being changelings, even the elven ''subraces'' of FR

quote:

So lets get the incognito dragons out of every story, and the Dopplgangers out of every brothel.

yea, dragon tavernkeepers

quote:

The idea being that the 'fantastical' is not so fantastic, when everything is 'special'.

e.g. that's why I disliked the Anauroch adventure, ruined the mystery of the sharns and phaerimm, the sarrukh, not to mention the shades, but they were ruined in many other products

quote:

I found that in running FR I couldn't play the other races the way I wanted, and that is why over the years my FR has diverged more and more from the canon one. The Crown Wars never really bothered me until after the GHotR came out. I felt as if humanity was almost an after-thought.

I admit, the Crown Wars did bother me, so I moved them to Faerie, to make room for human stone age and antediluvian cultures. Only after the Faerie was bound to Toril (multiple Sunderings, the Faerune ritual, the earth nodes ...) the fey gained some human characteristics and became ''roleplayable'' (includes elves, dwarves, gnomes, and partially halflings). The first waves of migrations fit with the drow descent, the settling of Evermeet, Yuir, Shanatar.

quote:

Xp are for plunder and killing

that's why we ignore both the xp and the leveling-up system, it's not much believable

quote:

And I should get back to the last part of Daggerdale. That thing became idiotically long, and unwieldy.

It's interesting, particularly the parts mentioning the Nars wars, Amaunathor and the World Ash.
Jorkens Posted - 09 Oct 2010 : 19:15:53
Much of this does of course become part of the problem (in my view here) of D&D, it has always been a role-playing game, which in many ways is different from a roleplaying system. There are built-in guidelines as to how the game should be played, found in the abilities given at certain levels, the classes, the strongholds, fighting, followers etc. One can ignore many or most of these elements, but they are there. Xp are for plunder and killing, you can give it for fishing and organizing the royal ball, but that's not part of the rules the game was build around. Any setting adapted to the system will have to in some way conform to this. Has any setting ever done this? No, not completely and the system has moved more and more away from this line of thinking, but it is a part of the settings history and development. That's the reason I actually find it easier to just adapt another system to the Realms than to adapt D&D to my way of playing and using the Realms. I like Ad&d and D&D, but the Realms is not the best setting for me to use the game with.

And please, please, don't let any one reading this use these random thoughts to start edition talk in this thread. There are no such things as editions in this thread. Maybe it would be best to actually just delete this post, but I will wait and see.

And I should get back to the last part of Daggerdale. That thing became idiotically long, and unwieldy. I am not really happy with it, so if I continue with the Dales I will have to restrain myself.
Markustay Posted - 09 Oct 2010 : 18:48:46
quote:

My Realms are human-centric, based on mythology. Elves are less common and reserved for the Celtic-Norse-Germanic inspired areas. There are no large interactions, fey are only somewhat close with the humans of this world cause of the ritual of Faerun. [color]<snip>[/blue]
This is how I ran GretHawk - the Elves in that world were very... mysterious... more like the LotR ones.

Although FR is obviously my favorite RPG world of all-time, it could have been 'better' (I put that in those little '' marks because everyone will have their own opinions on what can be 'improved'). I think the 'Everythingness' (which I have explained in Ed's thread) gets in the way sometimes. Some of the finest fantasy fiction I have ever read was on humanocentric or even Human-only worlds.

One of the greatest SciFi series of all time - Foundation - written by one of the greatest SciFi writers of all time - Isaac Asimov - took place in a completely Human Universe (Galaxy, at any rate). You would think the total lack of aliens anywhere would detract from the stories, but if anything it added to the believability.

I wouldn't want to run a completely Human world, but I prefer my non-humans to be more 'mythical'. Every farmer should NOT have met an elf, or a dwarf. Humanoids should be frightening creatures of legend, rarely infringing on human lands (except maybe Orcs, but I spin them differently as well). An Ogre-sighting should be cause for great alarm - something the King would want to dispatch men immediately to take care of.

I think FR has lost that. When monsters and creatures out of folklore become common-place, they become uninteresting, IMHO. I was able to spin GH in such a way that I had that kind of flavor - that fighting a bunch of goblins should be something extraordinary and hero-worthy.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the Realms. I don't blame Ed for what has happened to them - i think the 'Monty-Haulness' of the setting happened along the way, as FR became the flagship setting of TSR and then WotC. Not playing in Ed's original Realms I have no way to verify that, but from reading his posts and writings elsewhere, I get the feeling that he put a LOT of thought into each thing he placed.

Anyhow, I like what is happening here - I was even thinking about requesting a 'Campaign Workshop' sub-forum be opened up, where we can present a lot of our non-canon ideas and tweaks. The only problem with that is that these are the Forgotten Realms forums, and too much homebrew might upset certain people.

By way of thread-contribution...

I imagine fey and Humanoid culture to be along much the same lines as human culture, in regards to diversity. We don't need 50 different kinds of small winged fey, just because the ones in one region don't look or behave the same as ones from another region. Hell, I remember when the MM had different entries for different 'types' of humans.

The Fey of the Unapproachable East should have a slavic-flavor, simply because the people do. Some cross-pollination of habits and dress will creep into all sentient being's cultures when they interact. They are not a 'sub-race' - that is insulting and disingenuous, just as calling the Rashemi humans a 'sub-race' would be.

In fact, because the Fey (and other mythic creatures) are more inclined to physical changes in appearance then humans are is even more reason not to have separate stats for every single type. Why should a blue fairy living in the Frozenfar be a different creature then a green one living in Chult? If anything, I think something along the lines of a 2e kit or a 3e template would cover the regional differences.

Lore should explain why one group (of the same race) is different from another, NOT a stat-block. Fluff is paramount to the RPG gaming experience - without it we are just rolling dice and referencing tables. I think, maybe, some designers lost sight of that somewhere along the way (and PLEASE don't let yet another thread devolve over that simple statement).

D&D, and more importantly the Realms, needs to bring back some of that 'mystique' we used to have when we played. The wonder of casting our first spell, of meeting an Elf. The coolness of having our sword hit home and do damage. When playing the game becomes the means to an end, and not the end itself, we lose sight of what's important.

So lets get the incognito dragons out of every story, and the Dopplgangers out of every brothel. Those are the kinds of things that should be the epic endings to a story, not an "oh yeah, there are monsters in the room... YAWN" type of scenario.

I guess the villain Syndrome from The Incredibles movie said it best - "Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super {chuckles evilly} - no one will be. "

The idea being that the 'fantastical' is not so fantastic, when everything is 'special'.

So getting back to the topic - I found that in running FR I couldn't play the other races the way I wanted, and that is why over the years my FR has diverged more and more from the canon one. The Crown Wars never really bothered me until after the GHotR came out. I felt as if humanity was almost an after-thought. So I applaud any efforts at all to keep them more under control, and take the mythical creatures out of our backyards and put them back into the folklore where they belong. The Ghoulies and Ghosties and Long-leggity Beasties should be something commoners scare their children with... but hope to never see in real life.

Not any sort of rant, just an observation of mine over time, and why I think so many of us tweak the carp out of our own Realms.
Quale Posted - 09 Oct 2010 : 13:10:00
quote:

This actually scares me. When do you have time to sleep?

Sometimes I have a lot of free time at work, usually the computer networks there work fine, lol. And I did not gave much thought on the details for every country, only hypothetically when the pc's would need them. It helps that my minor subject in college was archaeology. E.g. the pc chooses that he is from Threskel, then I could go into detail for the local styles of combat, clothing, arcana, religon, it helps when you have such basic outline, in this case Thracian-like. Actually we've only played in 5 or 6 of the mentioned places, and before in Unther, but that was the other DM who had a very different take on Unther.

quote:

How do you handle the humanoids and demi-humans within this. Do they have local cultures that show ties to the various human cultures or do they keep to their own isolated societies?

My Realms are human-centric, based on mythology. Elves are less common and reserved for the Celtic-Norse-Germanic inspired areas. There are no large interactions, fey are only somewhat close with the humans of this world cause of the ritual of Faerun. Fey of Yuir are based on southern slavic elves, vilas, fey of Chondalwood and the Misty Vale are not much elf-like, but Roman and Etruscan silvans. Greek-like areas then have fey like nymphs, actaeons, kalliantzaroi etc., only centaurs in the east have larger numbers. I've only kept the Great Rift dwarves cause I could tie them to the Cabeiri, the Telchines (Imaskari) and Hephaestus (Gond). The southern areas don't have demihumans, they are more in contact with otherworldly beings, genies and anunaki being the most common, there are giantish divs enslaved to fight for Qadira. Dwarfs of Zharrduk are the the only important demihuman culture there, but they are not friendly and are isolated like the chaos dwarfs from Warhammer. There is a dwarven quarter in Tyr, mostly crafters and the faithful of Bes/Tyche (good for their fertility problems), they fled Mulhorand when the Tomb Kings appeared. In Durpar there are dwarvish vamanas, they are fully integrated in the local human culture, I added the story of the Castlemourn dwarves to them, made them feared by the rakshasas ...

quote:

And with the strong focus of the duality of the world (at least in the more philosophical and theological views) in the Zoroastrianism, do you downplay this and if not, how does this effect the peoples views of the rest of the Realmsian religions?

Just like in our world's history, what did the Persians think about other religions, no need to downplay, they view the rest of the immortals as daevas, below the Amesha Spenta status. They are not right in actuality, only partially about one being the source, all religions are more or less flawed. Semphari religion did spread in the west, it's sort of popular in Chondath, Threskel and Dragonjaw, assimilated in Chessenta, weeded out in Estagund. In the Lands of Intrigue where Ilmater is popular among the poor, the worship of Roarik was spread (Lands of the Lion) by the templars and crusaders returning from the east.
Jorkens Posted - 08 Oct 2010 : 15:51:50
quote:

I've also changed the Lands of Intrigue like Markus, Tethir is Frankish.

quote:

That of course leads to another question. Have you then detailed out the backgrounds and cultures of the various groups of the empire? With the Persian and semi-nomadic societies, the more or less isolated Elamite group, the mixed cultures of the Levant and the old Mesopotamian societies that the Achamenids (and it seems you) combined it seems like a huge task.

Yes, I included most of other Middle-eastern cultures, well all that mattered. Except in this alternate history the empire does not control them at the moment, it did not expand so much, I had to make a few concessions to fit all together. It's just 4 or 5 satrapies I mentioned plus some neighboring cultures that pay tribute/are suzerains.

To explain the changes, starting with alternate ancient history, Imaskari are not Durpari or Muhjari, they were like the Indoeuropeans, before they branched. Ancient Flan were Sumerians, Ur-Haltai Elamite and part Dravidian, Muhjari were Amorite, Arabic and Akkadian, Ancient Turami were like neolithic Nubians, today Meroe. Plus survivors from sunken continents. And today, the countries that surround the satrapies:

Ancient Sulm (from Greyhawk), turned into a desert netherworld, once like Sumer.

Realm of Tides, sunken Sumer/Eridu, mutated half-batrachi fish-people like Enki/Ea.

Edenvale, a mythical place, like Eden, or Dilmun.

Dark Plain of Zharrduk (from Warhammer), turned into dwarfs by Nergal.
Unther, classic Chaldean-neo-Babylon.

Urik (from Dark Sun), First Dynasty Babylon build on top of Uruk, mix Hamanu and Gilgeam.

Ninshabur the Fallen (from Pathfinder), Assyria.

Arch (or Crescent) of Aaqa, Akkadian/Aramo-Syriac and Mari analogue. Includes vaati the wind daevas, who are also popular in Ur-halta (Elamite ''People of the Winds'') and Durpar (Vedic devas). Enemies of Semphari asuras of fire.

Khassidi Tributaries, they are like Kassites, except retreated to their original homeland.

Dark Emporiums of Katapesh (Pathfinder), Tyr (Dark Sun) and Umar (from Mar people of the Utter East and Tolkien's Umbar). Phoenician city-states of the Levantine coast. Battlefield of Pesh (Greyhawk) is in Katapesh's background, Plain of Purple Dusts is in Tyr's (for the dye). Their business is more threatened by Estagund than Semphar, thus the name ''emporiums''.

Crescent of Dust and Fire, scorched wasteland, Jewish-like culture was destroyed in a holocaust and topheths by Belial. Survivors fled to Khazar Alta, buddhist monks are replaced by kabbalic mystics. A few fled to Absalom. Also there are Sulm ruins of Ur-Draxa (Dark Sun) in the desert.

Nomarchy of Rashemen, not a direct analogy, in short combine Howard's Shemites, Ras Shamra/Ugarit, Hurrians, Egyptian nomes and Ra (dead god), for real Rashemen (witches and varyag berserkers) I used Irrisen from Pathfinder. Curna the Azlanti is Noah.

Rahadoum Enclave (from Pathfinder) is a city-state that continues the Imaskari tradition of not tolerating religious, where numerous eastern cults and heresies can meet on a neutral ground.
Doegan is Edom/Nabatean.

Exarchate of Kortos (Pathfinder name), Cyprus-analogue, nearly independent city of Sarf (Absalom is a Jewish/Khazari name of its ghetto), barely acknowledges Estagund's authority.
Furifax's Grey Ghosts are Cimmerian-like.

The Shaar is Scythian/Sauromatian/Sogdian/Sagartian/Sarangian ...
Raumathari were Hetite-like, had fallen to the Ash Giants (Urnfield/Sea Peoples analogue). The Raumvari are neo-Hitite, branched into Phrygians and Lydians (allomancers particularly skilled with gold) etc.

Archaic Emeth is Macedonian-like.
Blade Kingdoms of Threskel are Thracia, ruled by gladux, imagine if Spartacus returned home and became a king.
Chessentan Poleis are Ionic.
Akalaic Hegemony is Doric/Spartan.
Arkaiun Cyclopoleis are Mycenean.
Chimeric Halruaa is Minoan.
Mecros (inspired by Malazan novels) Aeropoleis are floating island-cities (no need for colonies) that trade in the Great Sea.
Eastrift dwarves are Cabeiri.

Sweet Shipgrave Isles are Malta.
Nix Quantium is Kingdom of Nix mixed with Pathfinder's Nex, romanized libyan colony vs. Mulhorand Tomb-kings (Warhammer).

Murghom is really Burghom Despotate or Turghom, sort of pre-Slavic Bulgars and Howard's Turanians.
Eastern lythari are Herodotus' Neuri (turn to wolves).

Estagund is like Byzantine Gondor, mentioned already.
Sklavinia of Karameikos is Greco-Serbian.
Var the Golden Province is Estagund's Thessaloniki.

Thay is complicated, sort of Tocharian/Tarim mummies/Greco-Bactrian mixed with Suel (Greyhawk).
Wizard's Reach is sort of Colchis/Pontic, they’re Thay's mediators.

Durpar is moved to south of Yehimals (north India), Koenigheim to the North. Thommar is also moved to Tethir.

quote:

And what about the religious elements, do you have a state religion practised by the rulers or do you stay with a variation of the Realmsian deities?

A combination of both, fortunately my cosmology was already gnostic. Ahura Mazda is Savras/Nethus (Chondathan name). Savras was an Imaskari arcanist who gained unparalleled mastery over planar magic by seeing all that transpired them. That also drove him mad. He was of the Voidshifters, an arcanist school of planewalkers that did not use portals but traveled by changing their senses/perspective, sort of quantum. Voidshifters constructed Neth (Demiplane That Lives) for Savras, who's in stasis. Savras stole the godlike power from Roarik (northern name) and deposed him to an Amesha Spenta (Kshathra Vairya). Roarik is my version of Nobanion, lawful power with portfolios of power, royalty, authority, perfection, supremacy, pride, leadership, noon, radiance, word. Roarik is secretly the Godhead, part of the Demiurge, of a Phoenix-like being that restarted the multiverse. Moyale (Selune) delivered its Far-Realm-purifying mindfire during the Age of the First Sun. Yazatas (eladrin) of Kerrweid the Playlife (chaotic good plane) are divine sparks born of that fire. Roarik now seeks to return the lost power as Mithra. There are religious conflicts in Semphar over Mithra and whether he should be worshipped. Mithradates are popular royal names in Aaqa.

Angra Mainyu is an unique baernaloth, a being of perfect evil, an anti-god. Sometimes ‘’worshipped’’ as Fyvra (portfolios of corruption, doom, curse, black magic, disease, stress, malice, stagnation, ignorance, stupidity, bigotry, enmity, hate, despair, evil), most of the time confused with beings such as Ahriman, Tharizdun, Shar ... Asmodeus (Chondathan name) is known as Aeshma Daeva.

Parsanic magi are also priests. The first among them was known as Zendeir (Deneir), now a demigod (portfolios of finding and knowing yourself, alchemy, paradoxes, mysticism, learning, symbols, willpower, patience, temperance, balance). Except in Semphar only Ahura Mazda is worshipped, Amesha Spentas are just immortals there. Vohu Manah is a western god Valkul (sort of Valkur and Shaundakul combined). Asha is Austia (a bit like Sarenrae from Golarion and Lady Justice), tough in the Age of the Fifth Sun she’s being replaced by her son Lakhandir (Lathander), that leads to more religious conflicts. Kshathra is Mithra. Another heretical problem is so called ‘’worship of the elements’’ , spread of Chessentan chaotic philosophies. Armaiti is Pelda/Geshtai/Eldath and Haurvatat is Maghara/Berei/Chauntea. There is a heresy where they switch places. Ameretat role is taken by homebrew Chondathan Hypeitai (daughter of imprisoned Hyperion and Maghara) or in the North known as the Tree Spirits totem. And there is a Manichean-like heresy spreading north of the country, even reaching the Oigur khaganate.

quote:

How long have you been working on this and how far have you gone in detailing this version of the Realms?

For about 3 years, ever since I got the Golarion’s Gazeteer, then I thought about combining the two worlds, and including stuff from all other fantasy sources that I like. But it’s changing all the time when something that fits better appears. I know how the entire planet looks like, except continents like Osse, Malatra, Squamata (Katashaka), Hytil and Fuirhrim have lesser number of imagined places. And then you zoom in.

quote:

Unfortunately I am stuck at the moment with bloody Randal Morn. Just out of curiosity, does the geographical postings work with the race/class parts or do the two seem forced when matched?

Works well.

This actually scares me. When do you have time to sleep?

How do you handle the humanoids and demi-humans within this. Do they have local cultures that show ties to the various human cultures or do they keep to their own isolated societies? And with the strong focus of the duality of the world (at least in the more philosophical and theological views) in the Zoroastrianism, do you downplay this and if not, how does this effect the peoples views of the rest of the Realmsian religions?
Jorkens Posted - 08 Oct 2010 : 15:43:36
Daggerdale part III

Any information given about the modern Daggerdale is really by necessity centred around Randal Morn and his situation. Although he is the ruler of the Dale in name and by title, Randals reach is usually not longer than his sword. Even with the death of Malyk and the decline in Zhentish influence his situation is not easy. The Zhentilar axemen and horsemen may be mostly gone, but hired raiders are even more common and the direct influence of the Zhentarim may be greater now than it was under the occupation.

The lord of Daggerdale controls most of the populated countryside of the Dale, from the Dagger river to the Tesh river by the choice of most of the areas inhabitants. Anathars Dell is more of an ally than a subject and even though Randal is nominally the ruler of Dagger Falls his life is in danger whenever he stays in the town that functions as his capital. Because of this most petitions and questions will be gathered by the elders of the town and delivered to Randal on one of his short visits. Outside of these areas the Mourns have never had much power and least of all under Randall. North of the river Tesh, near the Border Forest there are no government, except for the spirits and denizens of the woods. The Dagger hills, the foothills of the Tesh mountains and Desertmouths are used for hiding and making camp, but are still wild lands that obey no single ruler and least of all a human one. In these border region Randal Morn will usually spend a large amount of his time placating spirits and beings that still remember the name of the Morns with dread and hate. His biggest victory in that area was the resurrection of the waterpillar to Tesh and being initiated into the ancient rituals by Tesh herself.

Randal himself is a quiet and at times morose character that earlier had a reputation as a carouser and dancer, but he seems more and more hardened by the fighting and constant running of the last couple of years. His “court” is more or less a half nomadic robbers camp, depending on the raiding of Zenths and humanoids in addition to the hunting and gathering they themselves do. The taxes he gathers locally are given on a voluntary basis and usually consists of food and trading goods needed to supply his men. Silver is a rarity in the Dale. Usually Randal can gather about two hundred followers, although roughly half of these are camp followers and other noncombatants. Most of these followers are in the permanent camps and strongholds he travels between. In addition there are usually several small mobile groups, combined about a hundred men and women, patrolling or scouting the Dale.

When he first reconquered the Dale Randal Morn was joined by several local adventurers, members of the Harpers and friends from the North. Idealists and danger lovers that saw this as a grand adventure. With time though, many drifted away to new adventures, were killed or settled down and with the exception of lliicair the Kitecaster and Baille of Ravenscrag Randals men are now newer recruits. Some are natives of Daggerdale, often descendants of refugees from Teshendale or displaced farmers who have little to loose and don’t share the distrust towards the Morns. Others are adventurers, bandits or killers from many lands looking to fight humanoids and Zhents. The plunder is often the greatest motivation for these. A few are idealists that wish to see Daggerdale under a strong and fair rule. Randal distrusts most of his except a few close friends, but he knows that they will all keep following him as long as there are Zhents to kill and loot to be had. In many ways Randal prefers the attitudes of the haters and the mercenaries, as it makes it easier to discern the motives and plans of recruits, but it has been a problem when dealing with other Dalesmen and rulers, many of whom distrusts a man who gathers many of the same people that have killed and robbed in their lands earlier. Even the Harpers, who’s help Randal has been courting, are sceptical. They have a long tradition of conflicts with the Morns and the current leader of the family still hasn’t convinced them of his good intentions.

But even with shady mercenaries and adventurers, at the moment the forces of Daggerdale are sorely undermanned. Two moons ago several of the patrols were ambushed and killed to a man. From the divination’s of the shaman Eshekera, Randal learned that the ambushers had in all cases been a small group of Zhentilars, commanded by the warrior Yorel, who is known to have killed several of Morns men during the attack against Malyk, including Starrune and his lover Thendbrand. It was believed in the Dale that Yorel had been sent to guard caravans in the Thar as punishment for having failed in a mission in neighbouring Shadowdale, but it now seems like he has returned. Giving Randal even more cause for worry was the fact that there were several Eraka riders travelling with Yorel; the scout first believed that the cuts from the Oeeghè spears were meant as a diversion, but the symbols of Nezram cast by Eshekera showed several of the pointy capped horsemen plundering the bodies. The taking of the hearts and cutting of the thumps of the bodies might have been done either by the Eraka or by humanoid included in Yorels band. As of now Selderrea and his warriors are unsure which band these Eraka might belong to and why they are fighting with the Zenths.

Randal Morns has no knowledge about the real danger. True,Yorel is hunting down his men, but this is mostly meant as a diversion. The true danger comes from the Cold Bringers, the assassins of the Zhenharim. The white faced killers have been sent out to find Randal as soon as possible and bring his head to Zhentil Keep. It is unclear who ordered them to Daggerdale, although most speculate in it being Fzoul Chembryl, as the assassins are said to have been cut by the priestess Xana. What has been learned through the kites of Iliicair though, is that there is a rumour going within the Dark Brotherhood that there are three people being hunted by the Assassins. One is the killer of Malyk of Daggerdale, one is the killer of Lashan of Scardale and one is the killers of Lyran the Pretender. According to the sage Pehtemar of Teziir this might be tied to the ritual of Lethchauntos the Black. This forgotten magic is said to be able to tie the souls and strengths of others to the wielder. Little is known about the ritual used by the orc friend of old, but it is said to involve some very specific components. The bones of three failed tyrants in addition to a single drop of blood and a hair from their slayers. Pehtemar also added the note that all of these would be rulers had been supported by the Zhents, making it a possibility that their rise and fall had been part of a larger plan by the hidden rulers of the northern city.
Jakk Posted - 12 Sep 2010 : 21:52:36
quote:

<chop>

The way I see it going is one race of aberrations, with many, MANY 'Paths' (a'la 4e), or even something similar to PrCs. The creatures will evolve from a tadpole-like form (similar to the Illithid's), but then develop differently depending upon its strengths and preferences. The basic shape will be a single-eyed, squid-like creature, and can learn to levitate (like a Beholder), or to 'ride' someone by eating their head and bonding with the torso (a very gross Mindflayer). They could even choose to remain within the 'briney pool' and become an Aboleth-like monstrosity (replacing the Elder Brain in lore), with smallish tendrils around the mouth (the tendrils/tentacles is a running theme through all my aberrations - my Beholder-variant will look like an elongated Eye tyrant with the 'stalks' on the bottom).

In that way, I have a unified group, despite the huge physical differences, and can still allow players to use any iteration of the D&D rules with my setting (or non-D&D, as the case may be). They simply apply the rules of the similar core creature to my adapted version. Even stuff like Grell and Tentamorts will all be covered.

By working-in this lore from the very beginning, I can use parts of it for other aspects of the setting that need explaining. For instance, different races can NOT inter-breed with each other. However, if they contain even the slightest amount of aberration-blood (haven't named the group yet) they CAN breed with another race; that blood adapts and allows things like grafts and cross-breeds. The fact that those creatures were prevalent in prehistoric times means that just about anyone can possibly have a bit of this 'strange blood'. Large amounts of it infused into a living creature can even cause them to become Shifters, or Dopplegangers.
<chop>

I missed this post earlier... not sure how!

I love all this stuff on aberrations, and your take on inter-species breeding is very interesting. The unification of the aberrations is definitely something that makes great sense, and I like the explanation for shifters and doppelgangers as well. I suspect I'll be using some of this for my expansion of detail for the Days of Thunder and the Dawn Ages of the Realms.

quote:
"When you steal from one writer it's plagiarism; but when you steal from many writers, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

This scroll has been a great research source for me, so thank you, Quale, Markustay, and Jorkens! I'll try to make some more contributions in the near future.
Quale Posted - 10 Sep 2010 : 22:14:19
I've also changed the Lands of Intrigue like Markus, Tethir is Frankish.

quote:

That of course leads to another question. Have you then detailed out the backgrounds and cultures of the various groups of the empire? With the Persian and semi-nomadic societies, the more or less isolated Elamite group, the mixed cultures of the Levant and the old Mesopotamian societies that the Achamenids (and it seems you) combined it seems like a huge task.

Yes, I included most of other Middle-eastern cultures, well all that mattered. Except in this alternate history the empire does not control them at the moment, it did not expand so much, I had to make a few concessions to fit all together. It's just 4 or 5 satrapies I mentioned plus some neighboring cultures that pay tribute/are suzerains.

To explain the changes, starting with alternate ancient history, Imaskari are not Durpari or Muhjari, they were like the Indoeuropeans, before they branched. Ancient Flan were Sumerians, Ur-Haltai Elamite and part Dravidian, Muhjari were Amorite, Arabic and Akkadian, Ancient Turami were like neolithic Nubians, today Meroe. Plus survivors from sunken continents. And today, the countries that surround the satrapies:

Ancient Sulm (from Greyhawk), turned into a desert netherworld, once like Sumer.

Realm of Tides, sunken Sumer/Eridu, mutated half-batrachi fish-people like Enki/Ea.

Edenvale, a mythical place, like Eden, or Dilmun.

Dark Plain of Zharrduk (from Warhammer), turned into dwarfs by Nergal.
Unther, classic Chaldean-neo-Babylon.

Urik (from Dark Sun), First Dynasty Babylon build on top of Uruk, mix Hamanu and Gilgeam.

Ninshabur the Fallen (from Pathfinder), Assyria.

Arch (or Crescent) of Aaqa, Akkadian/Aramo-Syriac and Mari analogue. Includes vaati the wind daevas, who are also popular in Ur-halta (Elamite ''People of the Winds'') and Durpar (Vedic devas). Enemies of Semphari asuras of fire.

Khassidi Tributaries, they are like Kassites, except retreated to their original homeland.

Dark Emporiums of Katapesh (Pathfinder), Tyr (Dark Sun) and Umar (from Mar people of the Utter East and Tolkien's Umbar). Phoenician city-states of the Levantine coast. Battlefield of Pesh (Greyhawk) is in Katapesh's background, Plain of Purple Dusts is in Tyr's (for the dye). Their business is more threatened by Estagund than Semphar, thus the name ''emporiums''.

Crescent of Dust and Fire, scorched wasteland, Jewish-like culture was destroyed in a holocaust and topheths by Belial. Survivors fled to Khazar Alta, buddhist monks are replaced by kabbalic mystics. A few fled to Absalom. Also there are Sulm ruins of Ur-Draxa (Dark Sun) in the desert.

Nomarchy of Rashemen, not a direct analogy, in short combine Howard's Shemites, Ras Shamra/Ugarit, Hurrians, Egyptian nomes and Ra (dead god), for real Rashemen (witches and varyag berserkers) I used Irrisen from Pathfinder. Curna the Azlanti is Noah.

Rahadoum Enclave (from Pathfinder) is a city-state that continues the Imaskari tradition of not tolerating religious, where numerous eastern cults and heresies can meet on a neutral ground.
Doegan is Edom/Nabatean.

Exarchate of Kortos (Pathfinder name), Cyprus-analogue, nearly independent city of Sarf (Absalom is a Jewish/Khazari name of its ghetto), barely acknowledges Estagund's authority.
Furifax's Grey Ghosts are Cimmerian-like.

The Shaar is Scythian/Sauromatian/Sogdian/Sagartian/Sarangian ...
Raumathari were Hetite-like, had fallen to the Ash Giants (Urnfield/Sea Peoples analogue). The Raumvari are neo-Hitite, branched into Phrygians and Lydians (allomancers particularly skilled with gold) etc.

Archaic Emeth is Macedonian-like.
Blade Kingdoms of Threskel are Thracia, ruled by gladux, imagine if Spartacus returned home and became a king.
Chessentan Poleis are Ionic.
Akalaic Hegemony is Doric/Spartan.
Arkaiun Cyclopoleis are Mycenean.
Chimeric Halruaa is Minoan.
Mecros (inspired by Malazan novels) Aeropoleis are floating island-cities (no need for colonies) that trade in the Great Sea.
Eastrift dwarves are Cabeiri.

Sweet Shipgrave Isles are Malta.
Nix Quantium is Kingdom of Nix mixed with Pathfinder's Nex, romanized libyan colony vs. Mulhorand Tomb-kings (Warhammer).

Murghom is really Burghom Despotate or Turghom, sort of pre-Slavic Bulgars and Howard's Turanians.
Eastern lythari are Herodotus' Neuri (turn to wolves).

Estagund is like Byzantine Gondor, mentioned already.
Sklavinia of Karameikos is Greco-Serbian.
Var the Golden Province is Estagund's Thessaloniki.

Thay is complicated, sort of Tocharian/Tarim mummies/Greco-Bactrian mixed with Suel (Greyhawk).
Wizard's Reach is sort of Colchis/Pontic, they’re Thay's mediators.

Durpar is moved to south of Yehimals (north India), Koenigheim to the North. Thommar is also moved to Tethir.

quote:

And what about the religious elements, do you have a state religion practised by the rulers or do you stay with a variation of the Realmsian deities?

A combination of both, fortunately my cosmology was already gnostic. Ahura Mazda is Savras/Nethus (Chondathan name). Savras was an Imaskari arcanist who gained unparalleled mastery over planar magic by seeing all that transpired them. That also drove him mad. He was of the Voidshifters, an arcanist school of planewalkers that did not use portals but traveled by changing their senses/perspective, sort of quantum. Voidshifters constructed Neth (Demiplane That Lives) for Savras, who's in stasis. Savras stole the godlike power from Roarik (northern name) and deposed him to an Amesha Spenta (Kshathra Vairya). Roarik is my version of Nobanion, lawful power with portfolios of power, royalty, authority, perfection, supremacy, pride, leadership, noon, radiance, word. Roarik is secretly the Godhead, part of the Demiurge, of a Phoenix-like being that restarted the multiverse. Moyale (Selune) delivered its Far-Realm-purifying mindfire during the Age of the First Sun. Yazatas (eladrin) of Kerrweid the Playlife (chaotic good plane) are divine sparks born of that fire. Roarik now seeks to return the lost power as Mithra. There are religious conflicts in Semphar over Mithra and whether he should be worshipped. Mithradates are popular royal names in Aaqa.

Angra Mainyu is an unique baernaloth, a being of perfect evil, an anti-god. Sometimes ‘’worshipped’’ as Fyvra (portfolios of corruption, doom, curse, black magic, disease, stress, malice, stagnation, ignorance, stupidity, bigotry, enmity, hate, despair, evil), most of the time confused with beings such as Ahriman, Tharizdun, Shar ... Asmodeus (Chondathan name) is known as Aeshma Daeva.

Parsanic magi are also priests. The first among them was known as Zendeir (Deneir), now a demigod (portfolios of finding and knowing yourself, alchemy, paradoxes, mysticism, learning, symbols, willpower, patience, temperance, balance). Except in Semphar only Ahura Mazda is worshipped, Amesha Spentas are just immortals there. Vohu Manah is a western god Valkul (sort of Valkur and Shaundakul combined). Asha is Austia (a bit like Sarenrae from Golarion and Lady Justice), tough in the Age of the Fifth Sun she’s being replaced by her son Lakhandir (Lathander), that leads to more religious conflicts. Kshathra is Mithra. Another heretical problem is so called ‘’worship of the elements’’ , spread of Chessentan chaotic philosophies. Armaiti is Pelda/Geshtai/Eldath and Haurvatat is Maghara/Berei/Chauntea. There is a heresy where they switch places. Ameretat role is taken by homebrew Chondathan Hypeitai (daughter of imprisoned Hyperion and Maghara) or in the North known as the Tree Spirits totem. And there is a Manichean-like heresy spreading north of the country, even reaching the Oigur khaganate.

quote:

How long have you been working on this and how far have you gone in detailing this version of the Realms?

For about 3 years, ever since I got the Golarion’s Gazeteer, then I thought about combining the two worlds, and including stuff from all other fantasy sources that I like. But it’s changing all the time when something that fits better appears. I know how the entire planet looks like, except continents like Osse, Malatra, Squamata (Katashaka), Hytil and Fuirhrim have lesser number of imagined places. And then you zoom in.

quote:

Unfortunately I am stuck at the moment with bloody Randal Morn. Just out of curiosity, does the geographical postings work with the race/class parts or do the two seem forced when matched?

Works well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000