Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Retaking Neverwinter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 11 Apr 2010 : 02:13:45
So our campaign has gone through the transistion from 3.5 to 4e and now that the changes have come, they're looking to reestablish themselves as a prospering Adventuring company in the new Age.

Currently we're roughly between 8th and 9th level. The party goes as follows:
Half-moon elf Assassin 8
Human Paladin of Torm 9
Human Cleric of Amaunator 9
Eladrin (sun elf) Wizard 9
Human Warlock (dark pact) 8
and possibly Dwarf Fighter 8

So with the FRCG being vague about the current status of Neverwinter, I've turned the city into a sort of small scale war between the goodly races (humans, elves/eladrin, dwarves) and an occupying force made up of humanoids (mostly Orcs), and evil Fey. Think Osgiliath from LotR. The Fey want to retake Neverwinter wood and destroy the human-made city or at least capture it for their own ends. They're willing to work with the humanoids and other evil-aligned races to accomplish their goals but they'll attempt to go against their word with them once the threat is gone. The orcs want to establish the city as their own (their agreement with the Fey for their help and them thinking the Fey will stick to their woods) and be more like the Kingdom of Manyarrows.

I need another factor of evil creatures or an organization helping with the plot but I dont know who or why. The PCs have already helped out the city of Neverwinter by securing their southern supply lines from Waterdeep. It was the first chapter in the campaign and they faced off of against a large Lizardfolk tribe being commanded by a large Black dragon from the Mere of Dead Men. Fort Locke is a large established keep in this century and the southern point in Neverwinter's defenses.

What I need is some help bringing this all together and figuring out the interconnection between the evil groups.

Also, the resistance of goodly folk are mostly being led by the church of Tempus with a few nobles of Neverwinter. I was thinking of throwing some intrigue with some of the nobles acting on behalf of the Fey and working against the resistance, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas or suggestions on making this campaign better? Since we're only still in the heroic tier of play, I can't use alot of goodies that the MM/MM2 have to offer because most of them are paragon or epic levels. Thanks for any future ideas.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jorkens Posted - 17 Apr 2010 : 10:30:15
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Well the city fell to a coalition of Orcs and evil fey. The fey have controlled parts of Neverwinter Wood while the Orcs control most of the docks district and Begger's Nest. The good-aligned coalition control the Blacklake district and the area of Neverwinter Keep or the Core. The peninsula is currently occupied by a small prisioner band who operates out of the prison. They've secured the area and when creatures attack them, they just retreat into the prison for defense.

If you want some hidden or mysterious faction I would go with an addition to the prison idea. The prison might have contained a magical area where creatures of a more sinister nature are kept. There might even be mages or monsters like the Deepspawn kept in stasis there until the prison fell (or their have been let out in the time of the Spellplague )and have hidden ever since. That would indicate how much time the opponent has had to plan and organize. It should be something that is unknown by most people still alive, but still researchable by the players.

Maybe there was a hidden pocket-dimension that contained the records of the city administration or just the prison records. First the old gateway must be found, by searching an old library contained in a building long ruined, and then the gate itself must be used. And who controls the area where it is located?

Now, in the archives a list of creatures imprisoned are found and there are a couple of very likely candidates to the hidden threat, but not a single positive identification. There is also a mention of a guardian for the prison a "Golden Cloudsleeper of the of the Nether mountains" or something like that (OK cheesy, but bare with me, I am brainstorming here). Now who/what was that and what has happened to it. Here the Ki-Rin come into the picture. Only some of the cells were opened by the destruction of the magic prison and the Ki-Rin is still held in stasis. This might be an ally that the PC's could use, but also a direct threat to the leadership of the priests. The extremely lawful creature is not one the warmongers feel comfortable with and visa versa.

Anything of use?
Diffan Posted - 17 Apr 2010 : 02:09:56
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

You know I will be of limited help here, so give me a hint if things are not possible any more. And I am brainstorming here.

An element of intrigue that I think people often forget is that Tempus and his Clergy are far from good. A grouping of his followers could be working to draw the war out as much as possible, and trying to increase the honour of the faith by fighting a desperate war against heavy odds. Their aggressiveness might put of some allies the PC's interact with such as good fey or even a Mist Dragon. Warmongers are as much of a danger to their allies at times. Maybe even the benevolent fey are starting to wonder about which side is the worst alternative,which could be the first hints given to the PC's that the War-priests are not really in it for anything but themselves and the fighting itself. The Paladin would be a natural target for these more aggressive priests, as his ethos is more one of defence than one of attack.

You know, I haven't thought of the Clergy of Tempus to try that and it does make for some awesome RP elements. That's something I'll definitly consider throwing into the plot. I like the idea of a noble or two also conspiring to see Neverwinter fail (possibly a noble from Waterdeep) and they could easily gain support for warmongering from the clergy.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I am a bit confused about the wording of your post. Is the city in the hands of the Humanoids (as the occupying force) or of the PC's faction? If humans have not inhabited the city for some time there could be more dangerous creatures hidden in the ruins that might be awakened by the conflict, such as undead from the Spellplague. Or even better an ancient Deepspawn that plays the two sides up against each other, using spawn of both groups to sow disharmony and chaos. This is a good way to spread a bit of paranoia and it could take some time before the players stop looking after dopplegangers or such.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I got my brain working here and got a couple of ideas for an adventure of my own.

Well the city fell to a coalition of Orcs and evil fey. The fey have controlled parts of Neverwinter Wood while the Orcs control most of the docks district and Begger's Nest. The good-aligned coalition control the Blacklake district and the area of Neverwinter Keep or the Core. The peninsula is currently occupied by a small prisioner band who operates out of the prison. They've secured the area and when creatures attack them, they just retreat into the prison for defense.
Jorkens Posted - 11 Apr 2010 : 09:33:17
You know I will be of limited help here, so give me a hint if things are not possible any more. And I am brainstorming here.

An element of intrigue that I think people often forget is that Tempus and his Clergy are far from good. A grouping of his followers could be working to draw the war out as much as possible, and trying to increase the honour of the faith by fighting a desperate war against heavy odds. Their aggressiveness might put of some allies the PC's interact with such as good fey or even a Mist Dragon. Warmongers are as much of a danger to their allies at times. Maybe even the benevolent fey are starting to wonder about which side is the worst alternative,which could be the first hints given to the PC's that the War-priests are not really in it for anything but themselves and the fighting itself. The Paladin would be a natural target for these more aggressive priests, as his ethos is more one of defence than one of attack.

I am a bit confused about the wording of your post. Is the city in the hands of the Humanoids (as the occupying force) or of the PC's faction? If humans have not inhabited the city for some time there could be more dangerous creatures hidden in the ruins that might be awakened by the conflict, such as undead from the Spellplague. Or even better an ancient Deepspawn that plays the two sides up against each other, using spawn of both groups to sow disharmony and chaos. This is a good way to spread a bit of paranoia and it could take some time before the players stop looking after dopplegangers or such.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I got my brain working here and got a couple of ideas for an adventure of my own.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000