Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Realms' Economy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arzakon Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 10:33:21
Hi again, I'm not here to discuss anything this time :P. I just wanted to ask if anybody has any source, info, book or anything related to economics. I already have some useful excel sheets (the farming revenue one was quite good :D), but there are a lot of issues that I cannot find in my books.

Here are these issues: National budgets, taxation (in commerce and agriculture) and armies of the realms.

I know it's quite sick to search for this kind of information just for a game, but if any of you could provide me with a good sourcebook, internet page or anything else, I would be grateful.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fizilbert Posted - 19 Mar 2010 : 10:35:47
You are correct, but it's a starting point. Knowing what a region may export and import will help determine what their economy may be like.
Kentinal Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 22:43:57
quote:
Originally posted by Fizilbert

I thought the 2E Volo's Guides did a pretty good job of describing things such as imports/exports of different cities and regions.

Import and exports do not equal economy. That just describes local resources and lack there of - the reason for trade existing in the first place.
Fizilbert Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 21:53:28
I thought the 2E Volo's Guides did a pretty good job of describing things such as imports/exports of different cities and regions.
Kentinal Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 21:19:12
No one has really looked at Realms economy, D&D rules does not provide enough resource to make it work. A long time ago Basic D&D did provide a simple guideline, that no way took in the needed details. 1st Edition rules did discussion some about taxation, however that appears was more about keeping PCs poor as opposed to what was done with the taxes.

Things like trade, currency exchange really does not have any source book that I can think of.
Faraer Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 17:26:08
So there's lots of qualitative lore, but Realms economics has never been worked out with hard number-crunching in mind. It's not that the quantitative approach is 'sick', it just isn't one Ed or I think other designers have worked with, and you'd basically have to understand the mercantile system as well as possible then make up the numbers from scratch.
The Sage Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 14:15:19
With respect to the "status" of trade/economic structures in the Realms, heed the words of Ed:-

"Regarding trade, it’s important to note that any game product covering trade in the Realms or any properly detailed fantasy setting would be a snapshot, out of date the moment it’s published, because a printed book is static, and (in daily detail if not in overall needs and flows) trade is constantly changing. Many fantasy fiction writers seize on the exciting “wheeling and dealing” of trade (the thirteen books by David and Leigh Eddings that include the character of Silk keep delving into his deceptions, swaps, arranged shortages, and so on)."
Hoondatha Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 12:12:51
The original Old Grey Box also had a map of the north with trading routes on it, complete with what people import and export. You won't find any hard numbers (ie: Amn's GNP = X millions of GP), because that's info that would vary considerably from game to game. You can, however, fairly easily get an idea of what goods are moving in what direction. A number of 2e area sourcebooks would also have quick import/export details in their city descriptions (ie: Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark).

Probably the best thing to do for more details is what Sage suggests: take a look through Ed's collected replies and then ask him any remaining questions. He worked much of this stuff out decades ago, because his players kept asking him exactly what was in this caravan they were guarding, and why was it going in this direction?
The Sage Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 11:10:40
The 3e Power of Faerûn has a chapter on this particular aspect of the Realms. Ed's replies also contain some useful info as well -- just search through the "So Saith Ed" link in my sig. And the various regional sourcebooks feature some basic economic lore for the individual regions covered in each tome.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000