Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Beauty Contests

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HelldoG Posted - 09 Mar 2010 : 15:34:40
Are there any in the Realms? How do they look like? Who sponsors them? What are the profits for victory (Besides the obvious one.)?
If there's no official/canon info on this then please tell me about your thoughts, ideas, propositions.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
froglegg Posted - 08 Apr 2010 : 20:20:21
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

And the winner is.... Miss Cormyr!! (Plays "There she is- Miss Forgotten Realms...") LOL!!

LOL Now that was a good one!
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Mar 2010 : 22:15:15
That actually makes a lot of sense. I expect Sharess to be involved, somewhere, as well...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 12 Mar 2010 : 15:31:48
Not that this is a canonical answer, but I suspect that the Realms might have traditions similar to the fertility festivals honored in the classical and medieval worlds (upon which the modern beauty contests are perhaps loosely based), suggesting that the church of Chauntea would also be involved. Basically, usually annual festivals, usually in the Spring, honoring youthful beauty/fertility, with ceremonies, rituals/competitions, prayers/speeches, etc.

There might also be a distinction between what the common folk do (the fertility rituals) and what the nobles do (more similar to our modern beauty contests). I don't think it's a huge stretch--people have been competing about their looks/talents since the beginning of time.

Cheers
HelldoG Posted - 12 Mar 2010 : 13:02:33
quote:
I haven't read anything about beauty contests in the Realms, but I guess the church of Sune could organize them. Maybe they would use it as a sort of in-take for choosing their new clerics?

Yes, that is also my take on this, although I wouldn't restrict it only to the church of Sune.
quote:
I think this is probably one for Ed to tackle.

HelldoG, I'd suggested asking this again, only in the "Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)" scroll.

Ok.
quote:
And the winner is.... Miss Cormyr!! (Plays "There she is- Miss Forgotten Realms...") LOL!!

I don't know if it could be that nation-wide .
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Mar 2010 : 00:50:23
The Sage Posted - 09 Mar 2010 : 16:38:25
I think this is probably one for Ed to tackle.

HelldoG, I'd suggested asking this again, only in the "Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)" scroll.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 09 Mar 2010 : 16:33:11
I haven't read anything about beauty contests in the Realms, but I guess the church of Sune could organize them. Maybe they would use it as a sort of in-take for choosing their new clerics?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000