Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Characterization of Cyric?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Apis Posted - 26 Feb 2010 : 00:32:28
Hey guys. I'm definitely new here and sort of new to FR as well. Long story short, I've read a ton of the novels but only been in a couple games. I GM myself, but have not ran any FR games before for various reasons, mainly because I am still familiarizing myself with the setting.

Nevertheless, I find myself very fascinated with the character of the god Cyric, his story and exploits, particularly in the era before the Spellplague (obviously he wasn't doing much after that, poor chap!) For this reason, I have decided to use him as a primary antagonist in a game I'm running.

The catch? The game isn't FR. It isn't even medieval fantasy. It takes place in the present, in an urban fantasy setting that borrows a lot of mythology from FR. Could this work in the slightest? I thought I'd ask people with more experience than me for their thoughts. I REAALLY like this guy as an antagonist, and I really hope it will work.

I've had some pretty good ideas (I think) so far about translating the fellow into the modern world. So far, the modern Cyric is a manic depressive former gang member who sort of stumbles into divinity accidentally. He's got an enchanted switchblade with whom he's a bit too friendly. I seriously think this could work. Thoughts?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakk Posted - 18 Mar 2010 : 03:01:40
Interesting... my take on it would be to keep the "original" Cyric and his canon story (mortal human in FR, ascends to divinity, goes mad, recovers, murders Mystra, and gets imprisoned), and have this modern world setting be the place Cyric stumbles into while looking for a way out of his imprisonment. It's in keeping with Ed's original idea behind the Realms (long-forgotten connections with our world, etc.) and it allows you to use FR deities in a different world without violating canon (if that matters to you). The other deities present in this world are either trying to get Cyric re-imprisoned or helping him stay a step ahead of his hunters. I like the characterization you've done here too, and if you decide to go with the post-Spellplague story I've presented, maybe this manic depressive former gang member is a mortal son of Cyric who ascends to demipower status and is trying to help his dad out...
Tyranthraxus Posted - 26 Feb 2010 : 11:29:01
It sounds crazy... but I like it.

Wich system do you use? d20 modern, alternity, maybe shadowrun?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000