Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A Shadowdale trilogy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dragonfriend Posted - 22 Jan 2010 : 20:27:21
Hi, i need help from expert Dms and Sages of th Realms.
We play 3.5e and we are finishing the Red Hand of Doom in the Realms. After that I want to Dm again after years as a player.

I have the old 2e Shadowdale adventure, the one sets during the Time of Troubles (1358dr) and I've just ordered from e-bay the new Shadowdale adventure (set in 1375dr)
So this is my idea:
Play 3 adventures with the same PCs in 3 different periods of Shadowdale history.

-One adventures with 1st level PCs. Perhaps in 1355 during Lord Mourngrym wedding. They sould be young adventurers. I'd like an adventure sets in the village and in the woods, no dungeon.

-the Second Adventure for 5-7 level PCs will be Shadowdale from Avatar Trilogy. Set 3 years later, they are in Cormyr, they meet Midnight and play all the way through the adventure ending in Shadowdale. They end in the twisted tower prison. How save them? I want Midnight be saved by Kelemvor and Cyric and continue the story as canon.

-the 3rd adventure for 9-13 level PCs will be Shadowdale:the scouring of the land. 20 years after the first one. They are returning home afetr years of adventuring. Humans are now 40 years old. They have seen the Realms and want a safe and quiet place to stay.

The 3rd adventure is without problems, but the first two...I'm looking for ideas, suggestion. I'm not so expert of the region so any lore that can be used to link the sories is very usefull.
Oh, by the way, do you thing it is all a good idea? (sorry for my english)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Faraer Posted - 24 Jan 2010 : 02:06:46
+
This would give meaning to the places and people resumed -- some rather haphazardly -- in Scouring of the Land.
RPGs too often default to the good-but-overused model of the constantly ongoing campaign.

-
The Avatar events really don't do justice to, or have much to do with the nature of, Shadowdale.
The dreadful impact of the trilogy format on fantasy fiction gives me a headache just reading the word.

Afetbinttuzani's recommendation is good. (I think the 1356/7 DR breakdown in the DM's Sourcebook is plausibly the high-water mark of the setting, illustrating how the Realms can be put in practice as a dynamic world.) Work backwards from Scouring, weaving the Shadowdale history found e.g. in the 1993 Realms campaign set with other threads. I wouldn't be afraid of a little dungeon (stonedelve) or two. Whether the PCs are involved directly or obliquely with the big events is up to you and your players (but don't, of course, have them be mere constant bystanders).
dragonfriend Posted - 24 Jan 2010 : 00:18:24
Great suggestion. Today the Shadowdale book is arrived, I look through it and it seems that Lyran returns as a devil in the adventure. Yes, the idea is to use the same characters. I'll pick up all material i have about Shadowdale.
And what about the end of the second adventure? they could be freed by Kelemvor and Cyric or sent to another plane (or region) in the big explosion at the temple. It's a lot of work. It's best if I start with the first one considering your ideas.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 23 Jan 2010 : 23:31:01
This is an interesting idea. Will the players be playing the same characters throughout? That would be plausible.

I would set the first adventure either during the repulsion of Lyran the Pretender in Tarsakh of 1356 DR, or during the during the war against Lashan of Scardale from Flamerule to Marpenoth of 1356 DR. Both of these events present opportunities to interact with iconic NPCs and participate in events that shaped Shadowdale. You can find information on these events in the DM's Sourcebook of the Realms [Grey Box] pages 37-43, and in the Shadowdale booklet that is included with the 2E FR Campaign Setting box set (pp. 8-9).

Cheers,

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000