Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need information on Gloamings

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 26 Dec 2009 : 08:53:11
Hello learned scribes and DM's

I need some help with garnering information on the gloamings as I am running an underdark campaign and the PC's will be running into a few of them.

The information I'm looking for will also be used in case one of the players would like to play one.

The main information that I'm looking for that is not listed is this:

How old do they live to? (they say in the book that they are long lived but don't give an age range.)

When do they become adults? (again, this isn't stated in the book but I would guess that they would reach the age of maturity around 16-18)

What color would their hair be? (in the book it doesn't even say, I would guess possibly like a straw, platinum, or bright yellow blond)

How tall are they? (in the book it lists them as small creatures but gives no examples to go off of, such as their being near the size of a gnome or a halfling)

It lists their favored class as Sorcerer and says that Clerics are almost unheard of in their society. What other classes would you suggest that they might take? since they live in the underdark and are rarely seen above ground(they are adventurers but it is rare to see one in the land of olight because of theire sensitivity to light), I would think that Druid would be an almost unheard of class as well.

These are the most important items that I need answers to, but any information on the gloaming that you think might be pertinent to using them as a PC race will be listened to and appreciated.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cyril Lokner Posted - 19 Jan 2010 : 04:19:47
Not a problem. It's easy to overlook something, especially when you are looking for it. I often come across something that would be great for the next thing I'm going to work on and trick myself into thinking that I'll remember where I saw it.

As far as gloaming classes, any class or prestige class that channels the divine will be rare for any gloaming. I did find the "Gloaming Region" entry on page 23 of Underdark lists preferred classes as ranger, sorcerer, and wizard. As rangers only (for the most part) have access to spells if they have a sponsoring deity, I found this to be a puzzling preference for the region. I guess I would substitute scout for ranger. Make of it what you will. But as far as gloaming monks, I see nothing stopping a gloaming monk from being any less common than a monk of another Underdark race.

quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

Thanks Cyril for the info. what other classes do you think they might take or not take? since it says that cleric is almost unheard of, and we both agree that Druids would probably not be a class they would take(except VERY rarely), I would think that Paladin as well as monk might not exist for them as well. What do you think?

BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 18 Jan 2010 : 18:33:48
Thanks Cyril for the info. what other classes do you think they might take or not take? since it says that cleric is almost unheard of, and we both agree that Druids would probably not be a class they would take(except VERY rarely), I would think that Paladin as well as monk might not exist for them as well. What do you think?
Cyril Lokner Posted - 26 Dec 2009 : 16:33:09
You can find some of the answers you seek on page 21 of Underdark. I've included the information from that book for your ease of use.

Adulthood 13 years; Middle Age 100 years; Old 200 years; Venerable 300 years; Max +4d% year.

Both genders have the same physical characteristics: Height 2'6" +1d4 inches; Weight 25 lbs.

As for hair color (which the book doesn't describe, except for the picture on page 15), I believe the options you have a within the range of normal. I might include the wing colors listed as options as well: black, deep shades of brown, or gray.

Other common classes might include rogue and spellthief. This is going off of their racial triats. Based upon the 'religion' entry, I too believe that a druid gloaming would be extreamly rare.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000