Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 First Time DM needing advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Weyr Posted - 07 Dec 2009 : 17:49:06
Alright, let me preface this by saying this is my first scroll in the fount of knowledge that is Candlekeep. My current DM in 2e has convinced me to run a game based on my stomping grounds, the Moonsea. One of the first things that came to mind was the Gold Box series released by TSR. I wanted to run the series in its entirety, however, my gaming group is the type that would be unable to maintain interest in Pools of Radiance.

So, I thought I'd start off with Haunted Halls of the Eveningstar, since it was highly recommended, and happens to be fairly close to what I planned to be the second module, Curse of the Azure Bonds. If possible, I want to keep the same party (barring unforeseen deaths) throughout the saga. Do you have any advice? Especially when I have to start writing my own material.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
woodwwad Posted - 26 Dec 2009 : 00:02:36
I've been running rpgs for 22 years now and one thing that's really important is to develope a lot of information beforehand. So you have a conclusion to the game and more than one plot, lots of little plots and don't be upset if the pcs don't bite on all of them. The biggest problem you may have is the pcs wanting to force the game in a direction you are not perpaired for which means you'll likely have nothing for them and the game may fall a bit flat. So try to have a few ideas that can be dropped in anywhere ready before the game starts, so you can put them in when you need to. It'll keep them interested until you have time between games to write and research the area they decide to go to. The Realms are huge and the pcs will have a lot of ideas on what they want to do. As far as those modules Curse of the Azure Bonds starts off with the pcs with no memories, so that would be a good place to start the game. I've never placed the module but loved the video game for the commidor 64 and the book. Alias is a great character too, so if you havn't read the book, make sure to do a bit of research on her and that green grocier Akabar.
froglegg Posted - 13 Dec 2009 : 03:58:48
quote:
Originally posted by Weyr

Alright, let me preface this by saying this is my first scroll in the fount of knowledge that is Candlekeep. My current DM in 2e has convinced me to run a game based on my stomping grounds, the Moonsea. One of the first things that came to mind was the Gold Box series released by TSR. I wanted to run the series in its entirety, however, my gaming group is the type that would be unable to maintain interest in Pools of Radiance.

So, I thought I'd start off with Haunted Halls of the Eveningstar, since it was highly recommended, and happens to be fairly close to what I planned to be the second module, Curse of the Azure Bonds. If possible, I want to keep the same party (barring unforeseen deaths) throughout the saga. Do you have any advice? Especially when I have to start writing my own material.

When you start writing your own just let it rip so to speak and have fun with it and be ready for when your player's go where you never thought they would or do what you had no idea they would try. Yes young DM you must be ready to make it up as you go along.

John
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 07 Dec 2009 : 22:41:01
IŽve said it elsewhere. IŽll say it here too. Pick up RobinŽs Laws of Good Game Mastering by Robin Laws. You can pick it up in pdf form at Steve Jackson Games. It is non-rules specific and has some of the best advice and observations on Game Mastering that I have ever read.

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG30-3009
Kentinal Posted - 07 Dec 2009 : 22:13:37
Advice, hey at least you have some material to start with. Back in the day... *G* ... I hard to write my own.

DMing is an art, by having a plan you should always plan that the players will not follow the plan. The best advice that I can offer at this point of time with limited knowledge of the playing characters is that you be ready to adjust to surprise decisions. No game goes as a DM hopes and had as a starting plan, unless the DM forces the players to do what he wants (A very bad idea as players can be lost quickly if a DM is heavy handed). Go with the flow, be ready for surprise choices, do not tell a player on a success role that they can not kill a foe you planned to reappear (One thing that I saw clearly as a problem was the Dangonlance series when directions to DM included even if the party killed the foe that the DM was required to invent a way that the foe survived to appear in a later adventure).

There is no way any can tell you how to have a perfect game. The goal of the game is for all to have fun. Do not force players to take a path you want, do not allow players to force you into a game you do not enjoy.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000