Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running an Underdark Game

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Navigator Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 11:37:01
Hello, and I thank this community for giving me the opportunity draw on their knowledge. I am totally ignorant of how this post will be received, but that being said, on to the chase.

My players and I wanted to try something different, so they're all playing (chaotic evil) Lolth-touched Drow, and I'm planning on most of the campaign taking place in Menzoberranzan, with house wars, Lolth worship and all that great stuff. This gives them a good reason not to slaughter each other right off the bat, since they (allegedly) have a common purpose. They are going to be ECL 12, we all have an acceptable degree of maturity, and are seasoned 3.5 players.

So... my reason for posting is to ask for advice, good resources, concerns, and/or suggestions. I'm certainly not an Underdark lore buff (Dark Elf Trilogy Book 1 & 2, some short stories), so I'm also looking for good reading material to prime myself so I'm better equipped to immerse the players. This will also be my first time running an "evil" campaign.

Also, so I can avoid the "OMG HES PLAYIN A GIRL LOLZ", I will probably allow male clerics. I know this is a no-no, but how much of a no-no is it? Is there any canon material that touches on this?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Navigator Posted - 03 Dec 2009 : 19:19:14
Thanks for the replies and book suggestions. I'm going to have to wait for the 2e books, but we were able to scrounge up everything else. I wouldn't have even thought to look at 2nd edition.

After all my worrying, one of the players decided he wanted to play the female Cleric of Lolth afterall. The other players understood that he would sort of be the "main character", or at least heir apparent. The other two are a Ninja/Fighter and Wizard/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

City of the Spider Queen is a great adventure for a group of drow.

This is actually the adventure we cut our teeth on years ago when we started playing. We considered playing it from the other side, but I like to have things that happen in my campaigns to become actual events, so it would be some work on my end. Though, it really would be an interesting twist to play Drow in CotSQ.
Kentinal Posted - 03 Dec 2009 : 05:43:49
quote:
Originally posted by Navigator

Also, so I can avoid the "OMG HES PLAYIN A GIRL LOLZ", I will probably allow male clerics. I know this is a no-no, but how much of a no-no is it? Is there any canon material that touches on this?

Male Drow Clerics exist, IIRC 2nd even had some followers of Lolth.
Checked, was first edition, at that time lore never knew of a male cleric of Lolth being higher then 4th level. Source Fiend Folio.

Yes they do exist or did exist, though 3rd Edition core books got rid of male Clerics of Lolth (perhaps in 2nd?)

All in all there can be now, until WotC releases more 3rd content (which is not likely, short of EG or RAS novels)we have Ed speaks on the topic of male Clerics of Eilistraee, they are permitted as canon. It does not take much for the DM to extend that canon to clerics of Lolth.

Further as a general guideline, the Realms provide the background and the DM gets to adjust the setting to suit their campaign.

Go for it,there is some canon to support your permitting male clerics of Lolth.
Hoondatha Posted - 03 Dec 2009 : 00:38:33
Gah! How could I forget the 2e Drow of the Underdark! I knew there was something really obvious that I was missing. Yes, definitely. It lays out groundwork that is then expanded in other books (like Demihuman Deities).
Tyranthraxus Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 18:02:51
City of the Spider Queen is a great adventure for a group of drow.
Alisttair Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 13:39:02
Since you are playing 3E Drow I highly recommend the 3.5 book Drow of the Underdark. A lot of crunch for the DM and players alike in that book. I also recommend the 2E FR book - The Drow of the Underdark.
Hoondatha Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 13:21:41
The best reference works are going to be Second Edition. You'll want to start off with the Menzoberranzan box set, since that's where you'll be basing your campaign. Probably the best "general Underdark" book is Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. Ignore Drizzt's name on it, it's actually a general reference book about the entire western Underdark, all up and down the Sword Coast. That will give you info on the environs of Menzo, and what sorts of neighbors you can expect. Note that the 3e Underdark book is essentially just a bad copy job of DDGttU

For priests, check out Demihuman Deities. That's the definitive work on all the demihuman pantheons. As for male priests of Lloth, well, she's a goddess, and a chaotic one at that. She can do whatever she wants, and just let everyone else try and guess. But with DD, you'll be able to give your players other gods to worship, if they desire.

Those are the big three I'd start with. Since you're running 3e, the Underdark book will be of at least some use for the crunchy bits, but for lore you'll want DDGttU. I'm sure there's one or two others I'm forgetting, but someone else will probably fill them in. Hope this helps.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000