Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running a new game, Necromantic Druid

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Randal_Dundragon Posted - 21 Oct 2009 : 22:19:45
Hey all, Currently working on a game for my friends and im trying to hash things out for everything.

I'm currently working on an adventure and i want the main Antagonist to be an evil necromantic druid. I know i want it to be in Cormyr but im not quiet sure where an adventure involving an evil necro druid would be. Just hoping i could get some Fluff and location advice.

P.S by the way if you know of any plant based undead or just some really nasty fungi, i would appreciate. Also im going to try and run pathfinder (first time).
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Randal_Dundragon Posted - 25 Oct 2009 : 01:48:39
Yes sir! :) and by the way Diffan love the blightlord and i might actually go with that. but yes the Pathfinder Bestiary is the one with which i speak.
The Sage Posted - 25 Oct 2009 : 01:21:05
quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

True, i originally started, Sage, as trying to build a plot hook for a game im writing up for some friends of mine. The more i write, however, the more intriguing the character becomes and the more i kinda want to play lol. but right now im trying to focus on the DM aspect, which is a pain because im not sure were to set this in cormyr, though im thinking about making the actually BBEG a Skeleton Champion from the bestiary, and then going from their.
Are you talking about the Pathfinder Bestiary?
The Sage Posted - 25 Oct 2009 : 01:20:35
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by goatunit

I don't at all see a problem with a vengeful, evil druid who hates civilization turning to necromancy. These "civilized" folk manipulate the corpses of trees and animals to their wicked ends - it only seems right they have their corpses manipulated to the benefit of nature.

Plus, a skeleton animated by rope-and-pulley-like strands of fungus is just a cool image.

The reason it doesn't work for me is that good, evil, or neutral, druids are all about the natural world. Returning a semblance of life to something that no longer has it is not natural.

Agreed. As I said above, Druidism serves a particular purpose in the Realms. Once any aspect of that purpose steps beyond what a druid would normally handle, well... they really aren't druids any more. Especially if we're talking about unnatural processes, like the undead.
goatunit Posted - 25 Oct 2009 : 00:40:12
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The reason it doesn't work for me is that good, evil, or neutral, druids are all about the natural world. Returning a semblance of life to something that no longer has it is not natural.

I think perhaps where the disagreement lies is in different interpretations, not of druids, but of the mechanics of magical power. I do not disagree with your statement above - it's just that I see the magical benefits of the druid class as functioning more through ritual than by divine intervention ("Divine Spellcaster" aside, granted...). I therefore don't see a problem with a druid who "doesn't get it" still being capable of manifesting the powers associated with the druid class.

Obviously, if we assume the druid's heart must be in the right place, this concept is flawed.
Diffan Posted - 25 Oct 2009 : 00:08:38
Well I have a blightlord NPC character in my files so I'll share it with you. It may be a bit high of a level though:

Priest of Talona; CR 17
hp 146 (17 HD); DR 3/-
Male human cleric 7/ blightlord 5/ slimelord 5
Any Evil Medium humanoid
Init +1; Senses Listen +10, Spot +10
Aura evil (moderate)
Languages Common, Sylvan
AC 25, touch 13, flat-footed 24
(+7 armor, +1 Dex, +5 shield, +2 deflection)
Immune critical hits, disease, sleep, sneak attack
Fort +17, Ref +8, Will +17
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); base 30 ft.
Melee +4 spell storing glaive of wounding +20/+15/+10 (1d10+11/x3 plus 1 Con) or
Melee 2 pseudopods +16 (1d6+7 plus paralytic slime, Fort [DC 19])
Ranged mwk heavy crossbow +13 (1d10/19-20)
Base Atk +11; Grp +16
Atk Options blight touch 2/day, charming gaze 1/day, paralytic slime, psudopods 2/day, smite good 1/day (+4 attack, +7 damage)
Special Actions blightmind 1/day, rebuke undead 16/day (+7, 2d6+12; 7th), rebuke or command blight spawned 8/day (+5, 2d6+12; 12th)
Combat Gear nightstick, metamagic rod of lesser empower
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 12th; spells per day: 6/7+1/6+1/6+1/4+1/4+1/3+1)
Domains: Blightbringer, Destruction, Slime
Spell-Like Abilities:
at will-alter self
Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 25, Cha 20
Feats Divine Metamagic (Persistant Spell), Extend Spell, Extra Turning, Great Fortitude, Martial Weapon Proficiency (glaive), Persistant Spell, Willing Deformity
Skills Bluff +10, Concentration +12, Diplomacy +8, Disguise +12, Escape Artist +6 (+3 in armor), Heal +9, Hide +6 (+3 in armor), Intimidate +10, Handle Animal +7, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +3, Knowledge (history) +2, Knowledge (local) +2, Knowledge (nature) +2, Knowledge (religion) +6, Knowledge (the planes) +3, Move Silently +6 (+3 in armor), Spellcraft +8, Survival +10
Possessions combat gear plus Blood Glaive (+4 spell storing glaive of wounding), Impenetratable Breastplate (+2 adamanite heavy fortification breastplate), Mithral Protector (+3 animated mithral shield), helm of Wisdom +6, amulet of health +4, cloak of Charisma +6, belt of battle, winged boots, gauntlets of Strength +4, ring of protection +2*********************************************************************
Blightmind (Su): Once per day as a standard action, the priest of Talona may establish a mental link with and dominate (as dominate monster) a single blightspawned creature within 60 feet. The mental link lasts for up to 5 min and has a range of up to one mile. The blightspawned creature receives a Will save (DC 22) to negate the effect.
Blight Touch (Su): Twice per day, the priest of Talona can attempt a melee touch attack to infect a victim with Talona's blight.
Talona's Blight: Supernatural disease-by spell, Fortitude save (DC 22), incubation period 1d6 days; damage 1d4 temporary Constitution and 1d4 temporary Charisma. Unlike normal diseases, the effects of blight touch continue until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies), Charisma 0 (becoming a blightspawned creature, if the victim qualifies), or receives a remove disease spell or similar magic.
Charming Gaze (Su): Five times per day, the priest of Talona can activate a charming gaze for 1 round. Any creature that meets the priest of Talona's gaze must make a Will save (DC 20) or be affected as if by a charm monster spell (CL 5th).
Paralytic Slime (Ex): The priest of Talona's pseudopods are coated with slime that can paralyze a foe. Any creature struck by the priest's natural attack must succeed on a Fort save (DC 19) or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds.
Pseudopods (Ex): As a move action three times per day, the priest of Talona can transform his hands into pseudopods or back into normal hands. This transformation can last for up to 5 rounds, though the priest can change his pseudopods back into hands before the durtaion expires with a move action.

Sources Used: PH, DMG, Player's Guide to Faerun, Unapproachable East, Complete Divine

NOTE: I didn't put in what spells the character prepared, leaving that up to you as you see fit. Also, I know the character has Slimelord class levels, but I figure you could use it somehow.
Randal_Dundragon Posted - 24 Oct 2009 : 21:16:23
True, i originally started, Sage, as trying to build a plot hook for a game im writing up for some friends of mine. The more i write, however, the more intriguing the character becomes and the more i kinda want to play lol. but right now im trying to focus on the DM aspect, which is a pain because im not sure were to set this in cormyr, though im thinking about making the actually BBEG a Skeleton Champion from the bestiary, and then going from their.

But things are moving well, just have problems orginizing my thoughts sometimes.
Anyway guys thanks for all the advice, Both positive and negative ;).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Oct 2009 : 18:07:37
quote:
Originally posted by goatunit

I don't at all see a problem with a vengeful, evil druid who hates civilization turning to necromancy. These "civilized" folk manipulate the corpses of trees and animals to their wicked ends - it only seems right they have their corpses manipulated to the benefit of nature.

Plus, a skeleton animated by rope-and-pulley-like strands of fungus is just a cool image.

goatunit Posted - 24 Oct 2009 : 16:28:51

Tyranthraxus Posted - 24 Oct 2009 : 12:38:14
Here are the links to the skeleton and zombie templates from WotC

Skeleton Template

Zombie Template

Fang, Beak and Claw is an FR adventure wich involves an evil druid. Maybe you could use it for your campaign.
The Sage Posted - 24 Oct 2009 : 00:40:51
I'll agree with that. If you can find someway to make this work within the game universe, I suspect it'll be both an interesting and challenging role to play out as a PC.

I wouldn't mind hearing about your experiences Randal, should you find a way to make this possible.
Randal_Dundragon Posted - 23 Oct 2009 : 17:39:34
Thats not a bad idea Tyranthraxus, thanks for the input, and i know its a stretch. But you have to admit it IS interesting :)
Tyranthraxus Posted - 23 Oct 2009 : 10:45:21
A druid/necromancer could work out really well the other way around. Making the individual a druid who studied the art of necromancy to protect the forest/grove from a nearby swamp filled with undead.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 23 Oct 2009 : 10:15:35
It's a strange combination indeed. You could use the Blighter PrC from Masters of the Wild.

You could also use the Blackroot Treant (4e MM) for inspiration and use the zombie and skeleton templates found on the WotC website (somewhere in the 3.5 archives between the year 2000 and 2002*) and adjust them for plant creatures.

I can imagine an ex-druid/necromancer/blighter commanding an army of undead Twig Blights.

*I'll post the link when I have the time and when I've found them
The Sage Posted - 23 Oct 2009 : 00:43:11
I'm inclined to agree with Wooly. In AD&D and the Realms, druidry is a human way of relating people and society to the larger natural world. Anything beyond that, especially something that would involve the unnatural aspects of the undead, is a stretch.
Randal_Dundragon Posted - 22 Oct 2009 : 21:19:47
Its cool wooly :), but i do like what diffan was saying, so ill probably go along with something like that.

Though i still hold a fondness for the idea of plant based undead... Kinda of like the Carapace from TSR 2173 - Monstrous Compendium, 1997 Annual, Volume IV. I dunno i like the prospect swhy im rolling with it :).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Oct 2009 : 17:32:43
I hate to step on anyone's ideas, but I can't think of a logical reason for any druid to employ the undead -- even Ingo's idea of pseudo-undead still involves breaking the whole life/death cycle thing (because even if it's a plant or animal spirit, making a dead body get up and walk around means it's being pulled out of the cycle).

I can dig evil druids, and I can dig necromantic wizards. I can't see any way to combine the two.
IngoDjan Posted - 22 Oct 2009 : 16:03:00
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

At first glance, a necromantic druid seems to be a contradiction, but you could have an individual who sees life and death as one great cycle. After all, plants make seeds, seeds lie in the ground, they grow, they die, their seeds lie in the ground. And so on.

Well, life and DEATH, not life and undeath.

I think it is obviously a contradiction, but no impossible. Who knows the will of gods? Maybe the Druid is not "necromancer" but a conjurer with ability of bring nature spirits for dead man bodies, killed by nature.

That's my opinion!
Kiaransalyn Posted - 22 Oct 2009 : 05:33:16
At first glance, a necromantic druid seems to be a contradiction, but you could have an individual who sees life and death as one great cycle. After all, plants make seeds, seeds lie in the ground, they grow, they die, their seeds lie in the ground. And so on.

Maybe, the zombies have animated because there is a negative energy node in the local graveyard. Or some evil caster cast Desecrate nearby an old forgotten one. Either way your antagonist would have seen zombies rising out of the ground and in his or her thinking seen them as new life.

You could have a lot of fun with this, and I'm sure find ways of justifying your character's actions. I see him or her as a character whose thought patterns are just a little different and/or simple. They're not consciously evil but their actions can certainly be interpreted as such.

Obviously, as Diffan pointed out, the Blightlords from Unapproachable East would be another idea too.
Diffan Posted - 22 Oct 2009 : 03:28:30
Hmmm...sounds like you could use a Talontar Blightlord as your main villian. They were once Druids who now worship Talona, Goddess of disease and poison.

You could set the campaign in Cormyr's Vast Swamp or near Marsember's wetlands. And of course, there are blight-spawned creatures as well as any other creature that is undead and/or has the plant type.

BTW, if you don't know, the Blightlord PrC can be found in the Unapproachable East sourcebook.
Randal_Dundragon Posted - 21 Oct 2009 : 22:40:31
Something new i want to try out. I'm thinking about building a druid/necromancer and having Zombies animated by fungus and skeletal fungus monstrosities things like that. Its a work in progress. :) Ya know a druid who believes that nature can be helped by necromantic magic, or that necromantic magic is actually part of the natural order of things.
IngoDjan Posted - 21 Oct 2009 : 22:35:09
Necromantic Druid? oO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000