Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help With My Eastern Cormyr Campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
goatunit Posted - 17 Oct 2009 : 16:05:05
I'll start by saying that I'm behind on my FR lore by about ten years, partly on purpose and partly out of a failure to keep abreast of goings on. I won't get into all the details as I'm sure most of you modify the setting to suit your own styles and incorporate previous campaigns into your world history. I started running FR in 2E and history has played out considerably differently for us than in the official account.

Relevant to this thread is that Azoun IV is still King of Cormyr, and there's been something of an on-again-off-again war with Sembia for much of both nations' history. I know there is an official history of tension and conflict between the two, but am unfamiliar with the official facts of this rivalry.

The campaign includes three players. A Cormyran Noble with a penchant for falconry (Aristocrat class), his half-elven animal handler (Ranger) and the head of his household guards (Fighter). After the most recent conflict with Sembia, in which Cormyr grabbed a bit of territory, one of the King's knights returned as a great war hero and was granted an estate near the palace. This estate belonged to the PC noble, who has been given a long-decommissioned fort at the foot of the Thunderpeaks in compensation. The PC decided not to be insulted, but to take this as an opportunity to tame some wilderness and curry favor with the King.

In our first session, the party set about spending the noble's bonus starting gold on various hirelings, craftsmen, mercenaries, tools, livestock, etc, and drew up some plans for the ruin. They got a smithy up and running and designated a portion of the map for farming. While tilling the soil, an armored skeleton was uncovered that has since been confirmed as the last lord of the keep.

In the second session, the ranger discovered a ruined gnomish hold while attempting to capture some rothe for breeding. Once within, the party encountered a young black dragon and bravely ran away with much of its meager hoard in their satchels.

Obviously the next few sessions will involve an angry dragon after its hoard, plus interest - but after that I only have a few things in mind and would love some feedback and additional ideas.

So far, here are my plans:

The PCs have visited a nearby wizard's tower and met the goblin caretaker (whom they call "Bobby Gobby" after his tendency to call Hobgoblins Hobby Gobbies). The goblin has consistently assured them that his master will be happy to speak with them when he returns from the "Elseplaces". Where I go with this is anyone's guess, but I'm a hardcore Planescape fan. :P

The skeleton discovered in the field was deposited atop a mass grave of soldiers and serfs - one of whom is now a hideously obese ghoul contentedly gnawing away at the last few remains in its hole.

A strange stone obelisk inside the gnome hold is actually a sleeping Galeb Duhr.

A party of adventurers are going to show up soon and seek a writ of permission from the Noble to operate within his fief. They are seeking an as-yet-undetermined ruin in the area.

That's all I've got so far. Any thoughts or suggestions?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
goatunit Posted - 25 Oct 2009 : 00:35:30
I did have a look and it's excellent. Thanks for the nudge in that direction.
crazedventurers Posted - 24 Oct 2009 : 19:26:39
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and a postscript: there's a Cormyr thread here at the Keep, wherein for a time all of the Cormyr lore provided by Ed and Garen Thal and others was compiled . . .
love,
THO
P.S. Earlier this year, Ed provided a LOT of Thunderstone-area lore, and he's still not done yet . . .

Indeed the Cormyr Scroll includes lots of juicy Thunderstone lore.

It has been updated with further lore about upland nobles and their habits so might be of further use to you and your campaign.

Cheers

Damian
The Sage Posted - 18 Oct 2009 : 02:19:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by goatunit

Oh, I almost forgot to add:

LUCKY!!! Ed Greenwood for your DM? That's awesome.

She's one of his original players, though the name of her character is a closely-guarded secret.

THO has told us, previously, that she is actually one of Ed’s players who participates in his campaigns as one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. But the Lady Hooded One has kindly asked that we do not question her as to which Knight she plays, and thus, won't say anything more on the issue.
Asgetrion Posted - 18 Oct 2009 : 01:29:38
goatunit, you might also want to take a look at the thread titled 'Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave: Pathfinder style'!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2009 : 17:41:30
quote:
Originally posted by goatunit

She's one of his original players, though the name of her character is a closely-guarded secret.
goatunit Posted - 17 Oct 2009 : 16:57:04

goatunit Posted - 17 Oct 2009 : 16:53:38
Thanks, THO. I'm actually fairly familiar with the laws governing adventuring parties in Cormyr - one of my favorite bits of flavor about the location, in fact. I intend for the adventurers in question to be on the up-and-up and want to use the encounter to feed the PCs a little background information regarding precisely that aspect of life in the Forest Kingdom.
The Hooded One Posted - 17 Oct 2009 : 16:33:42
Oh, and a postscript: there's a Cormyr thread here at the Keep, wherein for a time all of the Cormyr lore provided by Ed and Garen Thal and others was compiled . . .
love,
THO
P.S. Earlier this year, Ed provided a LOT of Thunderstone-area lore, and he's still not done yet . . .
The Hooded One Posted - 17 Oct 2009 : 16:26:20
Hmmm. Well, the adventurers would be well advised to ask PERMISSION from the noble to operate in his lands ("fief" is not a term used in Cormyr, BTW), but if they need a charter, that's royal, and comes either (rarely) directly from the hands of an Obarskyr, or more often from a courtier, local "king's lord," or herald (court herald of Cormyr, that is, not one of the independent heralds).
A noble might well write a letter explaining that an adventuring band was on this specific business on his behalf, for said adventurers to show to Purple Dragon patrols, but the noble doesn't have the legal right or power to issue a "writ of permission."
I don't mean to imply that the adventurers can't act as the noble's unofficial troubleshooting somewhat-extra-legal band or hit squad (many adventurers fulfill just this role in Cormyr), I just want to underscore that it must be UNofficial, even if no secret. Or Azoun or Alusair or at the very least a very capable Highknight-and-War Wizard team (or all of the above) will soon show up for a "chat" with the noble. Accompanied by several hundred of their very well-armed and armored closest friends. All of them interested in discussing this apparent treason or rebellion with the noble, if you catch my drift . . .
Azoun IV's reign was marked by a VERY tight watch kept over nobles, often without royal awareness, by Royal Magician and Court Wizard Vangerdahast, head of the Wizards of War and a shrewd, paranoid man. I would be very surprised if your PCs aren't already being watched by some War Wizards, just to keep tabs on what they're up to - - and any noble who tried to issue such writs or for that matter to use adventurers in a way that might result in a noble vs. noble war would find War Wizards actively working against them, both swiftly and firmly.
As my DM for about three decades, Ed Greenwood has shown us a LOT of Cormyr, and my words here are rooted in all of the detail and roleplaying colour he's imparted, down the years. And by all means feel free to ask Ed direct questions in his Questions thread here in the Chamber of Sages; I flip them on to him, and post his replies here...
love,
THO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000