Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help on campaign ideas post 1479

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arioch Posted - 09 Oct 2009 : 12:00:02
Hi to all fellow scribes!

May I ask your help in finding a good post 1479 FR campaign hook?

I' planning a new FR Campaign and I'm looking for suggestions about lore bits useful enought to devise a long term adventuring plot.

Thanks in advance!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Neil Bishop Posted - 11 Oct 2009 : 07:31:06
My first 4E FR campaign is called Primordial Evils and begins in Akanul. I'm using Obsidian Portal to record the sessions and other information about the campaign. We're only two sessions in but I expect it to go something like this:

Heroic Tier: A Savage Tide

Based on the first few adventures in the Savage Tide series from Dungeon magazine, the party follows the trail of a missing genasi swordmage (who takes the place of Vanthus from the Dungeon series) through the catacombs of Airspur then to a pirate lair and then to the Isle of Jagged Death which is basically a rip-off of the Isle of Dread.

The final battle will be with a lesser aspect of Demogorgon (solo controller 12).

Paragon Tier: Tyrant of Shyr

Hill giants and stone giants led by Mokmurian (cf Paizo's Pathfinder 4- Fortress of the Stone Giants) are trying to awaken Karshimis, the primordial that enslaved the Abeiran genasi of Shyr. Why? Well, that's not known yet.

Throw in at least one Egyptian-themed dungeon in Mulhorand and possible a trip to B4, The Lost City, and you have this tier summarised.
Paragon Tier: The Eldest

Ultimately, everything is about trying to awaken The Eldest, the ruler of the Abolethic Sovereignty. In a blatant rip-off of an idea from Dungeon 144, the bulk of the Abolethic Sovereignty slumber under the Isle of Jagged Teeth because of some ancient primordial magic that sucked all the moisture out of the aboleth and their city. Thus they exist in a petrified state of eternal dreaming (cf 3.5E's Lords of Madness for the original idea) and the other aboleth are trying to awaken them.

My second campaign is in the planning stages and will be called The Shattered Stone. Essentially, it will be about what happens when the Standing Stone is shattered (again) and the Sons of Vyshaan return but changed: they're the Winter Court.

I plan to include the Zhentarim, the Shades, the Eldreth Veluuthra, House Vyshaan/The Winter Court and also the Warlock-Knights of Vaasa. The excellent [i]Monument of the Ancients
adventure by those gunslinging James brothers will be a central focus of the campaign. Another key part of the plot will involve Fimbulwinter, as in, the winter that heralds the end of the world.

My third campaign will be set in and around Silverymoon and Menzoberranzan and will include a massive rip-off of D1-3 with the resurrection of Eilistraee being a key part of the story (and Lolth may die: her stats will be "officially" released in the MMIII so I may just use them- I think that means it's a rip-off of Q1 as well). Another part of the 1E rip-off will be a [i]Fedifensor
-like adventure to recover Eilistraee's sword from the githyanki.

My last idea, for the moment, is to run a campaign based in Elturgard but change the state religion to Amaunator instead of Torm and then focus on the clash between the Zhentarim of Darkhold and the nation of Elturgard except that the leadership of Elturgard is actually corrupt and some have gone over to the worship of Cyric. Obviously, this is a more difficult campaign to plan out so I'm sticking to the easier ones first until I've got a really good handle on running 4E.
Arioch Posted - 10 Oct 2009 : 08:34:55
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

I've been thinking on this one as well. In very general terms, I have three plots in mind.

The first would center around slavers from Najara. The hook could be the disappearance of children in a place like Loudwater or Secomber. The bandit lord of Llorkh could be implicated. The lovely thing about pure blood Yuan-Ti is that they can adopt humanoid form, and can thus hide in plain sight. The slaving plot could be the tip of the iceberg in a larger plot by the Yuan-ti initiate a return to their primordial dominance of Faerun, which would imply competition right up to the level of the Faerunian pantheon. The larger plot could take the players to the south and the jungles of Chult

Good idea. I also have in mind something with primordials... It is a good way to start with the new Realms.

But... I think Primordials are going to be abused pretty soon as villains.

quote:

The second would be the secret establishment of a Sharran cell in Waterdeep. I'm not clear on the cell's goal yet, but the secretive nature of the Church outside of Netheril makes for excellent, wide ranging possibilities. The novel Waterdeep provides some great ideas for using the tunnels and intrigue in that city. Recent terrain products by Fat Dragon Games and World Works Games are perfectly suited to this sort of adventure

Mmm... I must say that I never liked Shar too much... but if this Sharran cell is an heretic one, working to ends conflicting with those of the Netherese branch... well, it can become interesting.

quote:

The third involves the Malaugrym. With Mystra out of the way, and Elminster, the great foe, effectively hobbled, the children of Malaug are now more free than ever to pursue power in Faerun. This could be a wide ranging campaign. The odd behavior of a local lord (actually a Malaugrym) could be the hook.
Cheers,

The idea of using still around enemies of the Chosen (Malaugrym or not) now that they are out of the games is an interesting one...

Thank you very much Afetbinttuzani!
Arioch Posted - 10 Oct 2009 : 08:21:36
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of the Hooks Kuje and I wrote for the Candlekeep Compendium could be modified for 4E usage.

I do really like some of the hooks in the Candlekeep Compendium!
More, I learned of the existence of this site the time google returned the page with links to the Compendium issues. I liked compendium so much I decided to register to the forums!

I think I've used the majority of the compendium's hooks I liked ... but I can double check them.

What I was asking was something more "4ed lore specific"... Some bit of lore hidden through the pages of the Campaign Setting that I could have missed, maybe!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Oct 2009 : 16:31:19
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:

A lot of the Hooks Kuje and I wrote for the Candlekeep Compendium could be modified for 4E usage.

Wooly, are these dispersed among the various volumes or in one in particular?

Speaking of which, is there an index for the content in the various volumes?

Each volume has Hooks. My own Hooks for the first volume weren't that great, but they got better as it went along, I think.

I do have a compilation of my own Hooks, but that's purely a local document. It also includes some Hooks that are waiting for later publication.

If you click the link in my sig, you can see a list of the articles in each volume.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 09 Oct 2009 : 16:15:47
quote:

Wooly, are these dispersed among the various volumes or in one in particular?

Speaking of which, is there an index for the content in the various volumes?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Oct 2009 : 14:41:07
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 09 Oct 2009 : 14:33:49
I've been thinking on this one as well. In very general terms, I have three plots in mind.

The first would center around slavers from Najara. The hook could be the disappearance of children in a place like Loudwater or Secomber. The bandit lord of Llorkh could be implicated. The lovely thing about pure blood Yuan-Ti is that they can adopt humanoid form, and can thus hide in plain sight. The slaving plot could be the tip of the iceberg in a larger plot by the Yuan-ti initiate a return to their primordial dominance of Faerun, which would imply competition right up to the level of the Faerunian pantheon. The larger plot could take the players to the south and the jungles of Chult

The second would be the secret establishment of a Sharran cell in Waterdeep. I'm not clear on the cell's goal yet, but the secretive nature of the Church outside of Netheril makes for excellent, wide ranging possibilities. The novel Waterdeep provides some great ideas for using the tunnels and intrigue in that city. Recent terrain products by Fat Dragon Games and World Works Games are perfectly suited to this sort of adventure

The third involves the Malaugrym. With Mystra out of the way, and Elminster, the great foe, effectively hobbled, the children of Malaug are now more free than ever to pursue power in Faerun. This could be a wide ranging campaign. The odd behavior of a local lord (actually a Malaugrym) could be the hook.

Cheers,
Arioch Posted - 09 Oct 2009 : 13:46:02
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

May I ask what resources do you have access to? For example, do you subscribe to the DDI or own previous editions of the Forgotten Realms?

After years of play, I've collected almost all the FR manuals from 2ed and 3rd editions.

I also have the campaign setting and players handbook from 4ed.

Never been a big fan of neither Dungeon nor Dragon magazine, so... just a few selected number of them!

My problem seems to be with the new 4ed sourcebooks... (But I do NOT want to criticize them)... I was not able to find in them that many appealing hooks...

...and that's the reason I'm asking the forum!
Bakra Posted - 09 Oct 2009 : 13:33:47
May I ask what resources do you have access to? For example, do you subscribe to the DDI or own previous editions of the Forgotten Realms?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000