Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Thieving/Robbery charts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fizilbert Posted - 30 Sep 2009 : 14:21:16
I was wondering if anyone may have or know of where I may be able to get some charts relating to robbery or thieving.

I already have a fairly extensive pickpocketing table, but what I'm looking for is something that will help me determine things such as the type of loot obtained when breaking into a home or shop, whether said home or shop is occupied or guarded, whether their are any traps, and so forth.

I figured I would ask here before I start trying to make my own random chart up.

Thanks for any help
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fizilbert Posted - 07 Oct 2009 : 12:58:43
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at those.
Hoondatha Posted - 06 Oct 2009 : 23:41:30
Nope, Wooly, I hadn't seen that article. Thanks for pointing that out. I was actually conflating two different articles in my mind: "Was it worth the risk?" in Dragon 104, and "Trifling Treasures," in Dragon 207, both of which deal with small, only-sometimes-valuable treasure.

While thumbing through my magazines, I found a bunch of other interesting stuff that I've got to go read (love how that happens), but another article that might be of interest to you is "Charts for Determining the Location of Treasure" in Dragon 19, which has various tables you might find useful.
Fizilbert Posted - 06 Oct 2009 : 22:37:00
I have a pickpocketing table already, but I will take a look at that one, it may offer me some new ideas for stuff to put in it. Thanks.

Now I just gotta find where I put that Dragon Mag Archive of mine.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Oct 2009 : 16:59:28
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll toss it in anyway: in one of the older (ie: 1e-2e) Dragons there was an article devoted entirely to what was in someone's pocket when you picked it. I don't remember exactly what issue that was, but I do know it was devoted to thieves, and so there might be some other things you might find useful. I'll hunt up a specific number for you once I get home.

I believe you're referring to Ed's article "What Has He Got In His Pocketses, Anyway?". It was a 2E article appearing in Dragon 164 -- the second Dragon I read.
Hoondatha Posted - 06 Oct 2009 : 16:43:53
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll toss it in anyway: in one of the older (ie: 1e-2e) Dragons there was an article devoted entirely to what was in someone's pocket when you picked it. I don't remember exactly what issue that was, but I do know it was devoted to thieves, and so there might be some other things you might find useful. I'll hunt up a specific number for you once I get home.
Fizilbert Posted - 06 Oct 2009 : 13:58:33
Some more stuff I have worked on for the table.

Chance of Traps
(upper/merchant and rich/noble income only)
d100 Trap
01-50 No trap
51-70 1 simple trap (1d6 damage)
71-85 1 complex trap (2d6 damage)
86-95 1d3 complex traps
96-00 1d3 deadly traps (3d6 damage)

Chance of Guards
d100 Guard and type
01-60 No guard
61-80 Guard animal (1d4)
81-00 Humanoid guard (1d2)

Chance of Mega-loot
d100 Loot Treasure type and container
01-75 No mega-loot
76-85 Treasure category Z in 1 chest
86-90 Treasure category I in 1 chests
91-95 Treasure category C in 1 safe or 2 chests
96-00 Treasure category B in 1-2 safes
Fizilbert Posted - 03 Oct 2009 : 13:50:31
Well I'll tell you what, why dont we make this a collaborative effort? I haven't worked on it much but this is what I have done so far. Nothing relating to loot yet but I have a chart based off a random encounter chart relating to the building size and I have a chart relating to the occupancy of the building. Comments or suggestions are welcome.

d8 +d12 Building size
2 2 story 5 room home
3 2 story 4 room home
4 1 room shack
5 2nd story 3 room apt
6 2nd story 2 room apt
7 2nd story 2 room apt
8 Single story 2 room home
9 Single story 2 room home
10 Single story, 3 room home
11 2 story 3 room home
12 Single story 3 room home
13 2nd story 2 room apt
14 2nd story 1 room apt
15 2nd story 2 room apt
16 2nd story 1 room apt
17 1 room shack
18 2 story 4 room home
19 Single story villa 1d6+4 rooms
20 Mansion, 1d3 stories, 4d4 rooms

d100 Occupancy
00-10 Abandoned, empty
11-25 Abandoned but occupied by 1d4 drifters
26-35 Abandoned but partially empty
36-50 Occupied by lower/poor income
51-70 Occupied by middle/moderate income
71-94 Occupied by upper/merchant income
95-00 Occupied by rich/noble
Fizilbert Posted - 03 Oct 2009 : 12:12:16
Draenar, a random building generator is pretty much what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I dont have that box set, though I do have the 2E Forgotten Realms box set.

Since I can't seem to find anyone who has a chart yet, I will probably try and create one this weekend (or atleast start on the process.) When I have it completed I'll be happy to share it.
Draenar Posted - 02 Oct 2009 : 06:51:59
The City of Splendors boxed set had some basic guidelines for random building generation, along with some sample floorplans, pages 36-39 of the Campaign Guide. Unfortunately, these weren't duplicated in the 3e hardcover book, so I don't know if you'll be able to get your hands on them. If so, though, they'd be a reasonable starting place.

That said, if you do make your own chart, please share.
Fizilbert Posted - 01 Oct 2009 : 12:58:10
That is not really what I'm looking for, but it look like an interesting site. I've bookmarked it for further use later.

I have a thief in my group that is getting bolder with her robberies of homes and shops, and it's getting to be a bit much to continually try and come up with things such as "what type of home is it, whether it is occupied or not, what type of loot will be in it," and so forth.

I was going to sit down one day to try and make a chart to help me roll up these type of encounters, but I figured I would ask here to see if anyone else had done the same thing before. Maybe I could use it, maybe I could get some ideas for my own chart from it, etc..

Fiz
Hawkins Posted - 30 Sep 2009 : 16:46:45
Thanks for the link to the site!
Wenin Posted - 30 Sep 2009 : 15:49:27
I have a link to a site that randomly generates items for dungeon dressings. They aren't meant to be "loot" though.

http://jtevans.kilnar.com/rpg/dnd/tools/

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000