Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 First Forgotten Realms Campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Darcy Posted - 09 Jun 2009 : 18:44:24
Hello,
I'm about to embark upon a campaign in the Forgotten Realms setting. Although I've been running campaigns for Dungeons and Dragons for almost twenty years, I've never really embraced Forgotten Realms.
Any advice?
x

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
goatunit Posted - 17 Oct 2009 : 16:40:11
Troy Denning is a favorite of mine, though I admit I found his FR work considerably less engaging than his Planescape and Dark Sun novels.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Jun 2009 : 17:44:39
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Never really bothered with taking ideas from anything, consciously at least... I usually toss the group into something and alter it according to their actions/needs as players etc. oh, and I also like to see the ripples of their actions move outward ;)

Oh, I enjoy that too... but to have an "Edmund Dantes" manipulating the PCs while having them "think" they are working for their own interests. ;)
Darcy Posted - 13 Jun 2009 : 15:58:07
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

oh, and I also like to see the ripples of their actions move outward ;)

Nice.
x
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 13 Jun 2009 : 15:26:43
Never really bothered with taking ideas from anything, consciously at least... I usually toss the group into something and alter it according to their actions/needs as players etc. oh, and I also like to see the ripples of their actions move outward ;)
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Jun 2009 : 14:30:33
Don't forget the Count of Monte Cristo. I've stolen more ideas from there than anything else.
Darcy Posted - 13 Jun 2009 : 13:56:00
No, sorry, just the first trilogy. I've not read it.
I've not read much in the way of fantasy beyond Tolkein and loads of Michael Moorcock. I lecture in English Literature so most of my reading is fairly non-genre in nature. Having a background in literary figures like Milton, Shakespeare, Blake, etc. has had a massive impact on my campaigns though. If you can't take ideas from Paradise Lost or The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, where can you get them?
x
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 15:01:19
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy

Just been to my local book shop and, well, not a lot of choice. I bought The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant instead. I will have a look at some Forgotten Realms fiction when I can.
Two of my players will be creating characters this weekend so it looks as if it's all go.
x

The new Chronicles? I mean the third trilogy...if so, please tell me if it's any good, liked the first two trilogies but haven't bothered with the third so far.
Darcy Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 12:37:20
Just been to my local book shop and, well, not a lot of choice. I bought The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant instead. I will have a look at some Forgotten Realms fiction when I can.
Two of my players will be creating characters this weekend so it looks as if it's all go.
x
Darcy Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 15:08:29
Very well, I'll give that a go. I'm not expecting high art but I would like something approaching pleasurable in the prose stakes.
I'll take something by Jeanette Winterson or a Bronte in case of emergency.
Many thanks again,
This is a particurlarly welcoming forum.
D
x
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 14:53:07
Steven Schend's Blackstaff Tower. It does a terrific job of bring the Blackstaff into 1479 Waterdeep and filling in a few blanks of the intervening years.

And it's a rollicking good adventure.
Darcy Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 14:42:13
Okay, I'll buy the first one. Got an eight hour flight to fill next week.
Thank you very much.
Oh, what is the first one?
x
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 14:30:55
Yep! 4th Edition books by Steven Schend, Jaleigh Johnson, Erik Scott de Bie and Rosemary Jones (more to come).
Darcy Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 14:28:57
Okay.
Is that a series of books?
x
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 14:27:25
Three words: "Ed Greenwood Presents:"!
Darcy Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 13:50:15
Okay, so, I've had a quick glance over the Campaign Guide. I understand some of the criticisms now - especially the superficial treatment given most people and places - but it seems to do a good job of introducing areas and suggesting campaign ideas. And that's exactly what I was after.
I think I'll get hold of a novel or two (probably something set in this New Age post-spellplague setting). I'm going away for a few weeks so light reading is the order of the day.
x
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 09:59:10
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd recommend you at least purchase the 4e FRCG and decide for yourself. While there are some aspects of the post-Spellplague Realms that rattle a lot of fans' cages, there are also some real gems-of-lore that are begging for use in an FR campaign. The 'Returned Abeir' material being a prime example.

Rattled cages? Nah, not really...well, ok, I lied about that, it did rattle my cage, until I realized there's a door I can open from the inside and get out of that cage...now I only hear a slight clinking sound whenever 4e Realms is mentioned...
Darcy Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 08:10:16
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

My advice!

Forget the 4th edition.

Too late!
I bought the Campaign Guide on the way to work yesterday. I'll look at it today and see what I think.
x
The Sage Posted - 11 Jun 2009 : 00:56:09
I'd recommend you at least purchase the 4e FRCG and decide for yourself. While there are some aspects of the post-Spellplague Realms that rattle a lot of fans' cages, there are also some real gems-of-lore that are begging for use in an FR campaign. The 'Returned Abeir' material being a prime example.
IngoDjan Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 23:13:10
My advice!

Forget the 4th edition.
Darcy Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 15:19:30
Thanks for sending that link. I'm off to work now but I'll have a look at it later.
x
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 14:41:05
quote:

As an aside, what do you all think about the Forgotten Realms novels? Are any writers better than others? I think I pretty much dismissed them all in my last post which wasn't really my intention. I just don't think the fiction is up to the same standard as the campaign books.
x

Opinions vary, as you can tell by our Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. I myself am not a fan of a lot of the more recent stuff, though most other people love it. Elaine Cunningham is one of the few authors that everyone here likes. I'm also a huge fan of the Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak writing duo, but all of their Realms stuff is long out of print.
Darcy Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 14:00:46
I looked at Darkwalker on Moonshae many (many) years ago but was really put off by the young adult nature of the writing. I understand this whole fantasy lark is rather juvenile but I do prefer my escapism to be a bit more gritty.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 13:34:57
quote:

As an aside, what do you all think about the Forgotten Realms novels? Are any writers better than others? I think I pretty much dismissed them all in my last post which wasn't really my intention. I just don't think the fiction is up to the same standard as the campaign books.
x

Ahhh... a favorite topic around these parts. Everyone has their own tastes. I started the Realms with the Avatar trilogy and Drizzt. Then came into Elaine and Ed's stories. Recently, I've been hooked on Steven Schend, Paul S. Kemp and the 'Young Dragons' that are currently busy in the Ed Greenwood Presents novels.
Darcy Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 13:12:47
x
Darcy Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 10:42:27
I actually own the 2nd edition Forgotten Realms box, The Waterdeep box, and a lot of third edition material. My group have had a break from roleplaying (two or three years now) and have recently decided to get together again with 4th edition.
I think I was put off Forgotten Realms by the enormous number of what are (in my opinion) pretty ropey generic fantasy novels. Like you all say though, you need to take from the campaign setting what suits you best. I've always based my own campaigns around literary figures like Borges or Chaucer and I suppose I'll stick with those influences when it comes to Forgotten Realms.
Thanks again for the warm welcome.
x
Arion Elenim Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 07:32:03
Don't forget, as rich a world as Faerun is, it's merely a backdrop. The story is what's important, and Faerun should just happen to be where it takes place. It's easy to lose sight of that, though even the most cliched adventures take on new life on Toril

For example, 'saving the princess' takes on new perspectives when the 'princess' is Alustriel of Silverymoon, and she has to be 'saved' from a magical coma one of the other Chosen has put her into in order to prevent her from voting in a crucial election and the company has to figure out why...
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 09 Jun 2009 : 19:52:34
Aye, 4E is considered 'lore-lite' around here, but don't be afraid to ask any questions if you want to know more about something. There's plenty of sages that know a lot around here. And if they don't know it, we have a Ed and others to answer the questions!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Jun 2009 : 19:48:00
Oh, and welcome to the board...don't mind me, being grumpy about the changes is pretty much hardwired into me by now
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Jun 2009 : 19:44:23
Make the characters the heroes, then again you're going with 4e so the background for it all will be like an anorexic supermodel anyways... not much to scratch the surface, so you're good, in terms of history and stuff
Darcy Posted - 09 Jun 2009 : 19:35:54
Thanks for your reply.
I'll be picking up the new Campaign Guide in a day or so and intend to delve deeper after the first few adventures, staying on the surface for now. I know the 4th edition has been much-maligned, but I'm going with it.
Thanks again.
x

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000