Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Music

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arion Elenim Posted - 07 Oct 2002 : 17:36:40
As a DM I like to incorporate music into my sessions...

In particular, I use Celtic music and pop Celt stuff like Enya and the like....what is more, I think that classical music like Beethoven and the Grand Marches really helps build the mood....

Anyone else do this?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Yasraena Posted - 30 Mar 2003 : 04:19:39
Absolutely. I haven't heard of any of the Celtic stuff that's been posted so far, but I'm going to do some research on them now!

My group uses music for just that purpose, to set a mood and evoke an image and/or emotion. We found that it GREATLY enhanced the game experience. There's nothing like having some great and inspiring music playing in the background when you're fighting for the good of all Faerun. Very inspiring!

Some of my favorites are the following:

Sojourn Fantasy Music - some great original fantasy music
Soundtracks from LOTR/Robin Hood/Conan/Blade Runner/Dark City/Gladiator/etc
Some rock bands like YES/Rick Wakeman/Pink Floyd/(old)Genesis/King Crimson/Etc
Some 'mood' type acts like Isao Tomita/Vangelis/Kitaro

Also, the music from Bioware's PCRPG's like Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale, Heart Of Winter and Neverwinter Nights are some of the coolest there is. (Go figure. They were made for just that reason) the only problem is 'ripping' the music from the game. If you have the latest Windows media player, you can play the music from NWN right from the play disc. The others however, require a liitle work. Echon, before he sadly left us, was kind enough to send me a link with the info to do just that.(Thanks Echon!) For those that are interested here it is:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte985m/files/BG2music.txt

Here is the link to download the actual acm2wav.exe file

http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/people/cjwlaan/download.html

Follow the instructions to the letter and you should have no problems. It worked like a charm for me.
zemd Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 18:43:09
And i forgot Joan of Arc! Great movie, great soundtrack.

How did you guess?!
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 18:27:09
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you like soundtracks, Zemd.
zemd Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 18:25:40
And i forgot classical music from films:

Braveheart/ Conan/ Excalibur/ Gladiator/ Highlander/ Legend/ Eastwick's Witchs/ Seven/ Born Kilers/ 2001 Space Odissey/ Amadeus/ Apocalypse Now/ Barry Lindon/ Batman/ Diva/ Mission/ Mechanical Orange/ Platoon
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 18:03:37
I can tell -- it's showing in your syntax. But don't worry, we can all still understand you just fine.
zemd Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 17:51:55
See, i give the example!

I can add two more groups to my list:
Lacuna Coil
Within Temptation
Nightwish

That makes three, but i don't remember if i quoted the latter last time, ... and i don't want to check. I'm a bit lazy this times
Arion Elenim Posted - 28 Dec 2002 : 03:37:32
By the way, my fellow DMs....

I recently was given a copy of the Icewind Dale video game...included within was a simply GORGEOUS soundtrack...I am using it a lot now....

I highly recommend it for game flavor....it is VERY long and VERY eclectic...
Echon Posted - 26 Nov 2002 : 13:43:00
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

If you are really mad, you can try Cradle of Fifth whitch is a group payling Gothic rock.

I am a Black Metal fan myself but I do not think that suit RPGing that well. Besides, only one of my players listen to his himself.

However, Mortiis - the old bassist of Emperor - would suit it just perfect. It is very dark and moody and would suit dungeons, caves, Underdark, graveyards and nighttimes just perfectly. One of the songs is called Journeys to Deserts and Dungeons, in fact. The genre is darkwave which is some sort of fantasy ambient.

You might want to look for some of these:

"Keiser av en dimension ukjent" (Emperor of an unknown dimension)
"Aanden som gjorde oprør" (The ghost/spirit that rebeled)

The CDs above are some of his first works.

"Crypt of the Wizard" - a compilation of old songs where the songs vary more in moods.

"The Stargate" - his newest which features a female vocalist (who is in fact the old female vocalist of Cradle of Filth).

-Echon
Cherrn Posted - 20 Nov 2002 : 23:41:57
Well as a DM i use the soundtrack from a Japanese anime called The Record of Lodoss War. Its great, dramatic, sad, battlemusic at times and exciting :)
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 20 Nov 2002 : 16:44:48
Hmmm. If I was DMing in a forest I'd probably borrow Mix Master Danos' Hyrule_RM1X or one of the Zelda Wood's remixes that populate the net... have to find the name of the one I currently have...
Bragi Posted - 20 Nov 2002 : 16:38:12
In one of the dragon magazine issues that someome metioned earlier there is an long article with a large list of musical titles that fit in well with D&D. I found some of the songs and they worked out great. If you can I would suggest looking for the article, it has an extensive list of songs and artists depending on your tastes and the mood you want to convey. I have found that movie soundtracks can be good to use as background music, such as Jurassic Park and Lord of the Rings.
Channel_Dunlap Posted - 15 Nov 2002 : 00:05:08
I like to use techno when the players enter a club. I also use just about anything instrumental if the mood fits.

Echon Posted - 14 Nov 2002 : 10:44:30
There is some very good background music in Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It is in .acm format but you can extract using the acm2wav.exe file. I cannnot remember where I got it, it was originally made for Fallout I & II so try Vault 13 or No Mutants Allowed. I'm sure you can find a link at Black Isle's forums as well.

Or give me your email and I'll send it to you.
eilinel Posted - 27 Oct 2002 : 04:34:47
the Moments are a following of several CDs with only ambiance music. Done by professional musicians and often especially for D&D, that sounds good. Then, i don't know if u can find them out of France, visit the site, it's certainly written.

eilinel Posted - 23 Oct 2002 : 20:25:26
http://216.239.35.120/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.euterpe.org/instants/index.php3&prev=/search%3Fq%3Deuterpe%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

here is the link for The Moments, a following of several ambiance CDs.

For dark ambiance, midnight syndicate (http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/)
that i knew when i was at the GenCon. pretty good.

Lord Luthor Posted - 20 Oct 2002 : 20:26:47
I get my music from the rennaisance festivals. There are some pretty good ones around. They all travel to many of them. Jim Handcock out of Texas, The Gypsy Guerilla band, & the Burley Minstrals are a few. They may have websites also.
Rory_Lana Posted - 20 Oct 2002 : 17:16:57

First off Lord Arion, Great topic.
I personally like to use soundtracks...for example: Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, Robin Hood, and Gladiator. It's amazing how music and the game seem to blend. This is just something I have noticed.

Oh yeah, Arion you are like EC. And you know how I feel about him. Sorry for geting off track.
kahonen Posted - 18 Oct 2002 : 18:41:42
quote:
Originally posted by Frey

Pink Floyd, of course!

Mmmm, Pink Floyd.

Good call
Ditalidas Posted - 18 Oct 2002 : 10:35:04
Did any of you ever listen to the soundtracks of the original motion picture batman?
It's an orchestra, no vocals. And if you can imagine the setting that movie played in you can imagine what the music is like... it's a bit heavy at times, but perfectly suitable for background music when you want to throw some tension in the game or when you're planning some action.

eilinel Posted - 18 Oct 2002 : 03:07:18
that is some good ideas, i couldn't tell more.

in one week, i come back in France, i'll tell you what is the name of this group i have in mind.
Thoris Posted - 14 Oct 2002 : 18:27:06
Hi guys.....

I like music to get the right atmosphere. I think it is very important to bring more feelings to the Game sessions.
I like OST´s like Gladiator, Braveheart, Dracula in darker hours and so on.
While battling we like Bands like Manowar, Hammerfall , Nocturnal Rites and so on......

Keep the Music play to the right circumstances to take the last step to escape reall.ity.

Bye
Frey Posted - 14 Oct 2002 : 10:20:19
Pink Floyd, of course!
eilinel Posted - 10 Oct 2002 : 04:50:32
he he he !
right, right...i was a little bit mad too and i carried along by my own momentum.
Ok, but the rest is good, i promise.
Lord Rad Posted - 09 Oct 2002 : 09:38:51
Wow thats a bit extreme Eilinel I doubt Cradle of Filth would fit well into a campaign. Its actually Black Metal at its heaviest! Dont get me wrong, im a huge fan, got all their CD's, go to see them at concerts... and many of their tracks have some amazing atmospheric feels (more akin to the Ravenloft setting in places), but on the whole its VERY noisy, the lead vocals are just basically high-pitched screams.
eilinel Posted - 09 Oct 2002 : 03:18:10
Ye! I was thinking about all of these sounds, but maybe you know some French groups playing exclusively for RPG's ambiance.
Damn, I have absolutly to remenber their name, it's just torturing me!

If you are really mad, you can try Cradle of Fifth whitch is a group payling Gothic rock.
I guess you know Rapsody or Stratovarius, very good for battles, and the both groups are very fond of RPG.

What else, I promise i continue to think about that...
Ditalidas Posted - 08 Oct 2002 : 12:06:16
Spirits of Nature and Ultimate Dream mix (the last did very well with Cyberpunk)
I can imagine that some classical piece absolutly add to the mood, but I never used them. Not that I'm DM'ing much... only occasionally a stand-alone adventure.
I love playing too much. And I hate the rules when DM'ing.. they always catch me off guard.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 08 Oct 2002 : 11:40:37
Clannad
The Corrs
Enya
Era
Mary Black

These are also Celtic or Celtic-related bands/musicians.

For a bit of a holy mood: Gregorian Hymms (A Portugese Monk Choir has recorded CD's with this type of music).

For some darker material there is of course the metal scene. Though not everything from there is compatible.

Gothic Rock also works fine: e.g. Within Temptation (a Dutch Gothic Rock band)
Arion Elenim Posted - 08 Oct 2002 : 03:03:59
BTW...

There is a celtic CD called Celtic Tides, released under the Putumayo label...it is simply the most amazing Celtic CD I own....the posibilities within it for gaming flavor are almost endless...particularly for sensitive moments...

On top of which, there is a tune on there called "E Horo" by Mary Jane Lamond which is sung entirely in Gaelic and which I do not mind admitting has made me weep more than once......
Arion Elenim Posted - 08 Oct 2002 : 02:56:37
Wow...I had no idea....

If anyone has any idea as to the name of the music eilinel is speaking of, please let me know!

Thanks
eilinel Posted - 08 Oct 2002 : 02:03:01
actually, there is a lot of music you can use in a RPG party, and i found some CDs especialy created in this goal -i don't remenber the name, 'cause they are just 10000 miles far away from me-.
But, try to find movie's original band, they are often pretty good in this case.
I really agree that celtic music is the top for a "normal" cession but if you are playing in dark places, i'm sure you can find some very good ambiance CDs. many compositors work in collaboration with White Wolf for the creation of dark ambiance music. I don't think that Wizards has ever done that, but maybe one day...

And classic music is full of ambiance music.
it only remains for you to choose...

have a good sound

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000