Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question concerning Lycanthropes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 22 Nov 2008 : 16:35:10
I was working on an daventure idea and was wondering, what is the item that is poisonous to Lycanthropes?

I know that Belladonna can cure Lycanthropy, and that silver is poisonous to them, and can kill them if used in certain ways(e.g. made into a stake or a bullet).

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 06:50:30
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

The compilations are superior to the original Van Richten's guides... because they contain one previously unpublished category (can't remember which one right now). I also like their smaller, thicker size.

It was either witches or Vistani, and I think it was Vistani.

Alas, Woolster, for once thou art wrong - the newly minted, never published before Van Richten's Guide was Witches. The Vistani Guide was published earlier, and looked like this.

*shrugs* My bad. When the Ravenloft stuff was coming out, I didn't have enough money to stay up on it. Not only that, but it was always just a little too dark for me, so I didn't have a lot of interest in it. I got the first of the Monster Hunter's Compendiums on a whim, loved it, and thus made a point of acquiring the other two -- and then reacquiring all three.
Thauramarth Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 22:34:02
quote:

quote:

The compilations are superior to the original Van Richten's guides... because they contain one previously unpublished category (can't remember which one right now). I also like their smaller, thicker size.

Alas, Woolster, for once thou art wrong - the newly minted, never published before Van Richten's Guide was Witches. The Vistani Guide was published earlier, and looked like this.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 18:08:31
quote:

Nerfed2Hell Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 15:55:11
The Sage Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 06:17:22
I've always been partial to the Compendium which included Van Richten's Guide to the Lich -- since they're among my favorite undead-types.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 06:00:36
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

quote:

quote:

You know Wolly, I forgot about the Van Richten's Guides, and I own both of them.

Both? There were several in the Van Richten's Guide to series, and three of the compilations.

I actually own both of the Monster Hunter's Conpendium books, I didn't know that thre were others as well.

There's a third one. It covers demons, Vistani, and witches.

The first one, with its focus on vampires and werecritters, is my favorite.
BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 03:22:53
quote:

quote:

You know Wolly, I forgot about the Van Richten's Guides, and I own both of them.

Both? There were several in the Van Richten's Guide to series, and three of the compilations.

I actually own both of the Monster Hunter's Conpendium books, I didn't know that thre were others as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Nov 2008 : 03:04:10
quote:

BlackDragonKarameikos Posted - 23 Nov 2008 : 01:16:15

Thanks for remindinng me, once I looked in them I found what it was I was looking for.
I knew that coming her was a good idea.

And thanks to all of you others for your help too.
Lord Karsus Posted - 23 Nov 2008 : 01:09:59
-Those Van Richten Guides are indeed very cool. I only have two (Lich and Vampires), but they are certainly awesome.

-As for the topic, asides for silver, I, personally, would say that mundane poisons that affect Humans also affect Lycanthropes in the same way. I wouldn't rule that their physiologies are sufficiently different for them to resist them.
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 22 Nov 2008 : 23:21:39
I love the Van Richten's guides.
Hoondatha Posted - 22 Nov 2008 : 19:58:02
I agree that the Van Richten Guides are amazing pieces of work. Be warned, however, that if you start using that that your players will absolutely hate you. Be prepared to defend your book against torch-bearing mobs.
Kilvan Posted - 22 Nov 2008 : 18:41:32
I checked in one of my ravenloft sourcebook. Belladonna must be eaten within 1 HOUR of the affliction, not 1 day. I checked MM 3.5 and it's correct. so my bad earlier.

In ravenloft, remove curse during full moon doesn't work. You must kill the master lychantrope before, the one who started the chain. Then, a ritual during the full moon during which a remove curse is cast will have a chance to cure lycantropy, and a chance to kill the subject as well. Ravenloft loves evil stuff, don't try to cure it.

Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts, as Wooly suggested, will provide helpful info, but I don't own this one , I hate when this happens.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Nov 2008 : 18:23:24
Belladonna and nightshade are poisonous to everyone, but particularly to weres.

Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts lists variant chemical susceptibilities for various weres. The book was reprinted as part of Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium, Volume 1. It's a 2E source, and is Ravenloft-specific, but can easily be adapted for any setting. And though it's 2E, it's mostly lore and such, so it'd be easy to adapt.

I love the Monster Hunter books, and consider them to be required for anyone making serious use of any of the common creatures that go bump in the night. The vampire and were ones are, in particular, quite good (and both are in Volume 1, named above), but the others cover ghosts, mummies, liches, fiends, and other nastybads.

Also, if you're going to do a lot of playing with weres, I'd recommend Sean K Reynolds's book Curse of the Moon. It's available as a $5 pdf from his website (and also from Paizo, I believe). It's for 3E, and is an excellent resource -- I generally ignore 3rd party stuff, but this is one I recommend for anyone.
Kilvan Posted - 22 Nov 2008 : 18:22:58
Well, game mechanicly speaking, lychantropes will have damage reduction against every metal that is not silver. It does not mean that non-silver weapon will not kill it or that silver weapon deals MORE damage.

As for curing it, I recall a quest in neverwinter nights 1 where you need to cure 4 lychantropes using some silver charms, but I never saw any canon lore concerning this. Belladonna does cure lychantropy but only if applied in the day following the attack. Remove curse and break enchantment during the full moon works just fine.

I'll check some of my Ravenloft sourcebooks, I think I have some lore concerning those beasts.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000