Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Multiclassing during adventures

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tyranthraxus Posted - 22 Oct 2008 : 19:18:21
In the gaming session yesterday the party completed chapter 3 (of 5) of the adventure and one of the characters leveled up and decided to gain a level of wizard. But at the time he couldn't purchase or get his own spellbook, but the party did find a couple of 1st level wizard spellbooks and I let him pick one of them as his own.

How do you do this, do you allow your players to multiclass during an adventure? Do the players in your group need training to gain a level in the class they want to multiclass with?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 07 Nov 2008 : 02:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's a reasonable way of looking at it... Though I'm inclined to say that some Prestige Classes could prolly be learned without a teacher, if the character already had inclinations in that direction.

-Well, there's so many Prestige Classes out there, that a bunch of them probably are bound to seem a natural progression from a Base Class. The Kensai, from Oriental Adventures, for instance. Nothing but a super-specialized Fighter, there. Rather than looking at things on a case-by-case basis, I find that it's just easier to make it clear beforehand that, if a player wants to branch into a Prestige Class, he/she needs to notify me, the DM, for approval. Once that is done, and I say 'yes' or 'no', then things can progress from there. I'm not the sort of DM to spite my players, in a show of power or anything of that sort. If the player lets me know that he wants to become a Shadowdancer, and meets all of the prerequisites, and I approve of it, it's more likely than not that the players will happen to come across a Shadowdancer somewhat suddenly, from whom the player could ask for teaching, or some other situation that would allow the player to make the transition to the Prestige Class with some in-game explanation.

-Of course, if the players are dense, that's not my fault. A player of mine offhandedly mentioned that he wanted his Rogue to become a Shadowdancer. Thinking ahead, I included a Shadowdancer in that session, believing that the character would ask their Shadowdancer ally for training. He didn't, the PCs and the Shadowdancer parted ways, and the player hasn't made a mention of a Shadowdancer since. So, I can only stick my arm out so much...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Nov 2008 : 01:45:37
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-For me, it depends. If they're multiclassing in one Base Class to another (Fighter to Barbarian), I allow it, no questions asked. If they're multiclassing (or rather, wanting to multiclass) from one Base Class to a Prestige Class, then they need to go out and find a teacher, etc.

That's a reasonable way of looking at it... Though I'm inclined to say that some Prestige Classes could prolly be learned without a teacher, if the character already had inclinations in that direction.
Lord Karsus Posted - 07 Nov 2008 : 00:22:15
-For me, it depends. If they're multiclassing in one Base Class to another (Fighter to Barbarian), I allow it, no questions asked. If they're multiclassing (or rather, wanting to multiclass) from one Base Class to a Prestige Class, then they need to go out and find a teacher, etc.
Vangelor Posted - 28 Oct 2008 : 07:03:21
If it were my game, I would allow the moon elf to take the level of Wizard. But until he was able to acquire a spell book, components, etc. I would in fact limit him to the abilities he legitimately possesses. There would be no free spell book. Until he actually went about getting one, his level as a Wizard would be mere potential. And until he actually tapped that potential, and fully undertook his practice of wizardry, sorry, no Arcane Archer levels for him. You pay your buck, you ride the ride. You want to be a Wizard, fine. Here's your d4. No spell book? Oh, well. The limitations of the class are part of the game.
Arion Elenim Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 17:16:22
I think it affords the characters opportunities that more "traditional" seekers of their new class don't get.Obtaining a holy symbol by non-traditional means out on the road could reflect their god (ie, stealing one, making one, questing for one, etc). And the same can be said for wizards - how many mages know what it's like to have to scrounge around the woods or in garbage bins for their spell components? One could argue that a character doing that is suffering for their art and more "worthy" of the title of wizard than someone cooped up in a tower with the Blackstaff and his arsenal of spell stuff lying around...
Tyranthraxus Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 12:02:47
The character in question is an moon elf fighter so multiclassing in wizard (so he can take a level in the arcane archer prestige class afterwards) isn't that much of a problem because most elves have a natural affinity with magic. Plus he gained some arcane knowledge during the course of the adventure.

I usually don't make a fuzz about characters multiclassing during adventures as long as they have a good reason to do so (like character background, new found interests or meeting the recuirement for a prestige class). But multiclassing with wizard or cleric can be hard when the characters are not able to obtain their own spellbook, spell components or holy symbol. This means they can't use their abilities (or some of them).
Alisttair Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 11:34:51
You would be best to simply assume that they have been preparing for that moment for a long time. For example, a PC fighter who suddently becomes a wizard could be assumed to have had some type of training prior to adventuring, possibly during youth, but never really hit the potential until he finally went through some trials and tribulations of adventure and was still studying during off time on the road or somesuch.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 04:29:44
I always pictured the Wizard's spellbooks that include cantrips as being more like primers for those that are just starting out.
Arion Elenim Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 02:37:33
Being a wizard is not like being a sorcerer that has innate talents that cannot be taught. I would rule that if your PC came across a "how to" book on magic, there's no reason why they couldn't learn the proper gestures and spells and memorization techniques on their own to be a sufficient first level wizard.

I think an old apprentice's journal could fall into the PC's hands at some point, one detailing the basic theories and gestures and incantations needed for a first level mage. This creates both the info needed to multiclass and a chance for a good adventure arc later on when the apprentice-now-archwizard comes looking for his notes...

Jamallo Kreen Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 01:59:24
Belkar Bitterleaf went to school to learn how to become a Barbarian....

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 22 Oct 2008 : 19:42:06
Free-for-all here. Any class/prestige class as long as they meet the pre-reqs. To use your example with the wizard, I picture the character finding the spellbooks and studying them to gain the first level.
Jakk Posted - 22 Oct 2008 : 19:26:33
In my groups, it depends on the class. Wizard would definitely require training. Most other core classes would be allowed mid-adventure as long as the character has been employing relevant skills and demonstrating a shift toward the class desired. That being said, the groups I play and DM in don't use prestige classes at all, so we're dealing with a simplified and more easily workable system. Prestige classes of any kind would definitely require training, I would think. Training costs are negotiated between the PC and the trainer, and may not be monetary. Anyway, that's how my groups do things. Any other systems out there?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000