Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 22 Jun 2003 : 13:52:30
Here is the Elven stats I have been tinkering with. I mentioned a while back that I would be posting them when they were close to being finished. Before you comment, please remember that this working is still very preliminary. It's main focus was in changing the Elven favored class to Ranger, instead on Wizard -

• +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
  • Medium Size
  • Base Speed: 30 feet
  • Immunity to magic sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against Enchantment spells or effects
  • Low-light vision
  • Proficiency with longsword, shortbow, composite bow, longbow and composite longbow
  • +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks
  • +1 racial bonus to Hide, and Move Silently when in forest terrain and a +2 to Wilderness Lore checks when in forest terrain
  • Automatic Languages: Same as PHB
  • Favored Class: Ranger

Comments?.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 24 Jun 2003 : 12:17:34
I guess it doesn't help that the Bard class is one of the hardest to assign as a favored class to any race.

Bookwyrm Posted - 24 Jun 2003 : 12:12:04
Looking at the stats, I agree with Bran. Making the favored class a bard is obviously an arbitrary decision.
The Sage Posted - 24 Jun 2003 : 11:59:27
Bran, all the details pertaining to the 3.5 Gnome are located here.

branmakmuffin Posted - 23 Jun 2003 : 19:03:29
Bard and no longer illusionist for Gnomes? Do Gnomes get a CHA bonus? If not, then I must retreat to my ealier assertaion that it makes no sense for a race's favored class not to be a reflection of the natural abilities of the race in addition to the society of the race. There's nothing about Gnomish society that seems particularly "bardish" to me. Halflings seem more bardish. Did they pick it so there'd be a (non-human or half-elven) race for each favored class, and bard wasn't assigned yet?

If a race has, say, +2 DEX and -2 CON, it would take some explanation as to why its favored class would not be rogue. I think the Faerunian Moon Elf society is a good example of this. It just doesn't "feel" like a society that produces a lot of thieves. This is not to say Halfling societies are full of thieves, just that that profession attracts the Halflings who leave home to go adventurin'.

I like Bookwyrm's notion of "sub-race" favored class, e.g. a common Drow's, male or female, favored class being fighter. I have consulted my FRCS and I see that Drow get +2 INT as well as +2 CHA. I didn't know that earlier, so it does make sense for noble Drow males' favored class to be wizard as in the rules, as well as sorcerer. I still say that if a noble Drow female's favored class is cleric, then the +2 INT (not the +2 CHA as I said before) should be +2 WIS, unless you feel that Drow society "forces" women into the clergy even though they are no better suitied to it than anyone else. You can certainly make a good case for it. After all, if Drow are going to have clergy and they're not going to let men be in it, that leaves little other choice.
The Sage Posted - 23 Jun 2003 : 12:21:49
What I meant was, is that you could never go over a two class selection. Although I think Gnomes could possibly have a selection of more than one favored class (though it does depend on the setting). For example the new 3.5 favored class for Gnomes is Bard, but stats-wise could probably just as easily be Rogue.

Bookwyrm Posted - 23 Jun 2003 : 11:43:59
I wasn't suggesting anything more than two. The only way you could really have an "pick any" option is with humans, or perhaps half-elves. The d20 modern setting has that, as I recall.
The Sage Posted - 23 Jun 2003 : 09:05:36
I think the only way such a method would work is to limit the selection of classes to two, like your example of Wizard/Ranger - Wizard/Bard. Considering that bonuses and penalties should reflect the favored classes, the amount of selection of that favored class would be rather small anyway. For example a race with a Wisdom penalty could really not have Paladin or Cleric as a favored class, and similarly, a race with a Dexterity penalty can't really have a Rogue as a favored class either.

The Sage Posted - 23 Jun 2003 : 09:00:37
That is quite an idea Bookwyrm, however I think it would be a little messy mechanics-wise to employ such a method of favored class selection. However there may be a way to work it so that it doesn't cause problems in terms of abilities and stats.

Bookwyrm Posted - 23 Jun 2003 : 07:40:40
Actually, the male favored class is the wizard. I think maybe they were trying to show how the drow, with their structured, class-based lives, had to have some more "diplomatic" attributes, at least among their own kind. However, if that were the case, it would be better shown with an effect like the Magocracy regional feat.

Then again, it could be that they wanted to show how the drow weed out all the ugly, ungraceful members of their society. Either way, I agree with you. The favored class should be explained by the way the race is structured. And besides -- I had gotten the feeling that most non-noble males would be fighters.

You know, they could do it like it is with the drow, in that case -- you have a choice as to what the favored class is. Of course, it's based on male or female here, but that's not really what I'm talking about. I was thinking -- for the moon elf, say -- a choice as to what the favored class would be, made at first level. Wizard or ranger, perhaps? For a gold elf, maybe wizard or bard? What do you think?
branmakmuffin Posted - 22 Jun 2003 : 19:05:59
Er, I don't have my FRCS in front of me, but aside from perhaps scrambling stat bonuses and penalties, does that differ substantially from the standard Wood (I think) Elf?

CHA penalties imply the race produces few (or lousy) bards and sorcerers. I can't get behind that for any Elven race, no matter if there are official Elves who get CHA penalties.

Same goes with CHA bonuses. Drow get +2, right? Is their favored class bard or sorcerer? For males it's sorcerer, right? But if a Drow female's favored class is cleric, that should +2 WIS instead.

In short, stat bonuses and penalties and a race's favored class should be related somehow. Race aside, as a pool of stat alterations, I'd say ypurs mesh with ranger.
The Sage Posted - 22 Jun 2003 : 14:25:15
Actually, I was aiming for Green, or even Wild Elves. Moon Elves, I'll admit was a bit of a reach, but it's entirely possible, from a balance perspective. Anyway, I am still working on my other Gold Elves stats, which will hopefully be finished when I get more time (whenever that will be???).

Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Jun 2003 : 14:12:33
I don't know. It's sounds great for a green elf, maybe even a wild elf. The moon elf . . . maybe. However, I just don't see it as a typical description of a gold elf, most particularly. Their favored class should still be the wizard.

Or were you not talking about an FR-specific elf?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000