Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How to resurrect a god?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
michaelcroket Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 00:15:10
I am attempting to co-DM a game, and I am finding myself drowning in a lot of questions over the game mechanics while trying to stay true to the Forgotten Realms concepts. The short of it is, I'm a LE Favored Soul of Myrkul (Servant of the Fallen feat, which grants me spells) pretending to be a Favored Soul of Jergal. With the help of an artifact book (home brewed and not yet named in case you have any suggestions) of my god, I have hidden my identity and given the clerics of Jergal that are with me in the temple false visions of an impending doom that must be stopped by finding the Crown of Horns and destroying Myrkul's essence. In truth, I plan to use the essence of Myrkul in the Crown of Horns to fuel his rebirth thru me, merging with him and becoming a god. I have obtained official sanction from the church of Jergal to become a lich, thru use of invading their dreams and giving them false visions from their god, to prevent the Crown of Horns from controlling or eating me (I wear a hat of disguise when traveling before you ask, and the artifact is where I've put my soul). The only problems I can see with this are as follows:

1. How in the world do I pull this off?
2. How do you raise a god from the dead (I can't just cast Raise Dead... wait, can I)?
3. How do I get Myrkul's portfolio's back? I will still have a (very) few mortals worshiping me (seeing how I now am Myrkul), so I was wondering if that would make Kelemvor's Portfolios contested, and was hoping that it would somehow make him weaker for it (I will want the Fugue Plane back you know), but I haven't found out how this works. All I know is that there can't be more that one god in a pantheon that lays claim to a portfolio (changing pantheons isn't an option).
4. Is there any official stuff that would be relevant to this idea?
5. Does anyone know where Reaper's Harvest (Myrkul's Scythe, if I remember the name correctly) would be?
6. Does anyone know where Myrkul's body would be?

My overall goal was to somehow make Kelemvor's portfolio's contested enough to make him lose control over them, thus dropping him down to a Lesser Power and making him vulnerable to a combined assault with other deities backing me. Finally, I don't intend my lich to succeed, (I am so dead by the end of this... I mean re-dead... well, dead-er... you know what I mean!) I just want him to have a workable plan to follow so I am a realistic villain.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Entromancer Posted - 03 Aug 2014 : 01:05:41
Remember: killing is not a solitary act. I get a feeling there's going to be lots of deaths in your campaign. So use them to add some emotion and character development to your priests. That way it won't feel like you've stretched your game from A-Z instead of A-B for the sake of making it longer.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 20 Jul 2014 : 07:08:54
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Heh, I wish I could do that...

Wish I could, too.
Marco Volo Posted - 17 Jul 2014 : 17:59:35
To resurrect Myrkul, I think using powerful artifacts dedicated to Mystra could be an idea to please the god.
He hates Mystra and if she looses some of her artifacts, it's a good way to make him happy.
Irennan Posted - 15 Jul 2014 : 02:03:22
Heh, I wish I could do that...
George Krashos Posted - 15 Jul 2014 : 01:55:08
Get onto WotC's novel schedule.

-- George Krashos
Irennan Posted - 15 Jul 2014 : 00:33:38
AFAIK Eilistraee didn't create any uber-powerful artifacts beside the Crscent Blade (maybe her own sword, if you manage to find it). However you can come up with some other kind of artifact if you don't like the sword, an enchanted musical instrument of sort would fit her nicely.

Nonetheless I'm not sure if Eilistraee left a body in the Astral plane. The events at the end of Lady Penitent are very muddy/confused, as it wasn't Eilistraee herself to be killed, but Qilue possessed by the goddess (basically, an avatar) and her Realm didn't crumble, but is still around.
It's possible that she somehow survived losing much of her power, maybe even her memory. So if she isn't in the Astral, you might have to find her (in whatever form she may have ended up, Mystra was a bear for example) and aid her in ascending back to full fledged godhood by using one of her artifacts.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jul 2014 : 00:25:44
Nothing off the top of my head, but the things Eilistraee likes include moonlight and dancing, so there may be something there.
lunasmeow Posted - 15 Jul 2014 : 00:14:10
So I'm planning on doing something similar in my game, just with a different God. I plan on resurrecting Elistraee. I'm a half-drow (result of a Drow raping another elf where my mother managed to escape after, instead of being captured and killed) and would like to see the good Drow goddess returned to life (so unlike to original poster here I'm not planning on usurping, just true resurrection).

The basic requirements will be the same I'm sure, but other than the Crescent Blade, would anyone have any ideas on artifacts that could be used to resurrect her?
Charles Phipps Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 03:02:13
Or you could just ask the DM to ignore that little bit of trivia.
michaelcroket Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 02:53:26
Noted Wooly Rupert, I guess that means I'll have to think of a reason to make him decide otherwise. Maybe I should put him in a situation where he has the choice of becoming a god again or ending up in the hands of a certain Mr. Blackstaff, who I hear is looking for his lost Crown of Horns.
Charles Phipps Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 02:46:12
Counterpoint, he's not resurrection Myrkul but usurping his godhood as I take it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 02:37:56
quote:
Originally posted by michaelcroket

4. Is there any official stuff that would be relevant to this idea?

Yeah, there's one major problem... Myrkul doesn't want to be a god anymore.

From the City of Splendors boxed set:

quote:
Myrkul actually enjoys his new existence and the ability to foment dissent, chaos, and death without the strictures inherent in being one of Ao's gods; his greatest satisfaction is in disrupting the organization of the Cyric-worshipers and in destroying any worshipers of Mystra (who caused Myrkul's destruction).

Charles Phipps Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 01:27:01
Okay, though I think you could still arrange something that causes massive amounts of death. I'd suggest you work on secretly manufacturing magical weapons that you pass out to trusted adventurers, these actually being Weapons of Life Draining and the energy is sent to some sort of accumulator.

That would require a powerful Wizard or DM's approval of the Clerical version of it.

You'd also have to keep track of the weapons use.
michaelcroket Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 00:52:09
This is an epic level game, so I can definitely cast true res. and there is a prestige class in Faiths and Pantheons devoted to Myrkul, so I think he still has a few devoted followers around, even if he has been dead for what, 14 years now? The artifact book draws followers of Mrykul to it like a certain crystal shard that shall remain nameless (hence how I got it), and also has a permanent non-detection of epic level on it, hiding me from everyone, maybe even Kelemvor (I hope). Also, please remember that I am a PC, so I'm part of the party of adventurers. I took Touch of Benevolence as my other 1st level feat (I'm human, and the feat hides the fact that I'm Evil aligned without using magic, but makes me act more like Neutral) and I'm doing my best to keep the other party members from finding out about my identity, as well as my overall goals (they think I'm trying to destroy Myrkul permanently), so wholesale slaughter of innocents is out on 2 counts.
Charles Phipps Posted - 30 Oct 2007 : 00:26:41
An A+ for ambition. Run this by your Co-DM. Part of this information is from "Dead Gods" the supplement that involved the resurrection of Orcus.

How to Bring Back a Dead God

1. You must find a Priest of the Dead God in question. [Check]

As many as possible is good. Myrkul has some cults, enslave them all and probably also get them to combine their magic for the big ritual in you.

2. The Dead God Priest must be powerful enough to Cast True Ressurection [???]

You can use a Scroll or Artifact if you don't have that power.

3. You must have a powerful artifact of the Dead Deity, containing some fragment of his essence [Check]

The Crown of Horns will do nicely.

4. You need as many worshippers as you can get of the Dead God [???]

You can ressurect yourself but unless you spread the word Myrkul is coming back, then he's going to ressurect as a Quasi Deity or just a Demigod unless he's got a lot of them.

5. You must go to the Astral Plane and Find the Dead God inside it [???]

You have to get by any Kelemvor demons, devils, or angels sent to stop this plus nosey adventurers.

6. You must perform the ceremony with A LOT of magical oomph [???]

All of the Myrkul worshippers must be focused at once to bring back their god in question at once while the artifact must be destroyed to release the resulting energy.

Recommended stuff to make it more flavorful

A. Get as many Magical Items created by Myrkul's priests in the past as possible. Destroy them all in the ritual to add power to it.

B. Lots of human sacrifices and drained lifeforce. I'm talking slaughter hundreds of people (I recommend using bought humanoid slaves and captured Goblins/Orcs/Etc because no one will miss them)

C. Get the Sponsorship of a Deity to do this. Bane would be a good choice. Fzoul is also likely to help.

D. When you ascend to Demigod status, slay Velsharoon first or appear to Kiranshlee's recently orphaned followers.

That should net you the Portfolios of Undead and Necromancy and might get you to be able to challenge Kelemvor. Remember, Kelemvor has got Bhaal AND Myrkul's portfolios so challenging him head on would be foolish.

This what you wanted?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000