Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 -

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 17:58:15
-
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 18 Feb 2011 : 19:47:23
I have a pasted-together version of the maps from UE. I don't think I can legally post it anywhere (I just used it as a reference for my own version, which was never completed), but I'd be willing to mail you a copy.

There are a couple of new lakes in that area, as of 3e (the assumption being that they were always there, of course). Just thought I'd mention that - the smaller maps in the regional books show a lot more stuff then the big world map did in 3e.
Alisttair Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 11:38:41
I've never had anyone from or anything occur in Thesk thus far in my games - but I can say the same about most of the realms. Another wonderful thing about the realms - so much there you will probably never be able to make use of it all.
mensch Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 09:42:47
My campaign is set in part in Thesk and I can say that the Unapproachable East sourcebook is the only real source with substantial information on Thesk. The lore found in relation to the NWN2 server games is largely comparable to the information found in the sourcebooks, I believe, apart from flavour text on some cities.

Also "The Empires" trilogy ("Crusade", "Dragonwall", "Horselords") deals with the Tuigan Horde invasion in those lands and the subsequent demise of the horde at the hands of Azoun IV and his alliance. They're also not in print anymore, alas. I also haven't read them, so I couldn't tell you if there's much to be learned from those books.

Most information I've found is on Telflamm, which is ruled by the Merchant Prince Balindre and the Merchant Council. The Shadowmasters of that city, a thieves guild devoted to Mask, are detailed in "Cloak and Dagger", I believe.

Also, have a gander at "Lost Empires of Faerūn", particularly the "God Kings of the East" chapter, which details Thesk during the time it was still part of Narfell and Raumathar. There is also some information to be found in the "Grand History of the Realms" regarding the conflict fought over there, which might be interesting to include as part of a backstory in a campaign.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 03:33:04
Amazon.com also has the hardcover box set as well as the paperbacks.

Hardcover link: http://www.amazon.com/Spellbound-Aglarond-Rashemen-Forgotten-Realms/dp/078690139X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297827007&sr=1-1
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 23:53:00
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Ah of course! Too bad I don't own that boxed set. Hrm...wonder if I can get a good deal on a PDF. RPGshop doesn't have it. Will have to look around.
You're better off looking over second-hand book sites, like nobleknight.com, for worthwhile copies. It's well-worth the purchase.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 23:52:18
quote:

Thank you, Arik. :)

Did 2E produce anything similar?

The Dreams of the Red Wizards accessory has some tidbits on Thesk. As well as DRAGON #213 as part of the 'Elminster's Notebook' section. Both the 2e tomes Sea of Fallen Stars and Pirates of the Fallen Stars have some sporadic info on Thesk. Thesk is also fairly well covered in the modules portion of the Spellbound box set and in so far as it plays into the Crusade novel, and FR15 The Horde Campaign.
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 23:34:02
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

A lot of non-Wizards lore has been written about Thesk because it's a prominent NWN2 setting. I personally feel that tons of dubious canon is better than a paucity of official canon.

Ask your player (wife) what she read about Thesk in the FRCS that made it an appealing choice, how does she imagine Thesk from the descriptions? That would be the ideal version of Thesk in your campaign. You can also be assured that it doesn't conflict with any published lore, lol.

I agree with Arik here 100%...failing finding anything, I would go with the Player's imagination on this one...so long as the player's imagination doesn't suddenly make them the "heir of Thesk" or some such; but even that could be good if you want!
Ayrik Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 22:02:04
A lot of non-Wizards lore has been written about Thesk because it's a prominent NWN2 setting. I personally feel that tons of dubious canon is better than a paucity of official canon.

Ask your player (wife) what she read about Thesk in the FRCS that made it an appealing choice, how does she imagine Thesk from the descriptions? That would be the ideal version of Thesk in your campaign. You can also be assured that it doesn't conflict with any published lore, lol.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 21:47:14
quote:

Ah of course! Too bad I don't own that boxed set. Hrm...wonder if I can get a good deal on a PDF. RPGshop doesn't have it. Will have to look around.

Thanks Brimstone!

It's rather unlikely that you'll find it legally. WotC pulled all legally sold downloads from all editions when some 4E ones were pirated. The only legally available downloads now are those available on the WotC site; the links are in Brimmy's sig (and sadly do not include Spellbound).
Brimstone Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 20:24:59
Spellbound should have some info.
Ayrik Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 19:07:22
Not that I know of, MM. Aside from some incidental descriptions in products about Thay, Mulhorand, etc. The basic FRCx sources (and wiki sites) give a general outline of Thesk, not much else is available.
Ayrik Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 18:08:09
Unapproachable East, of course.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000