Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New 'Ravenloft' novels -- well, kind of...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 13 May 2007 : 03:59:02
See here:- http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=main_2008ravenlofttitles

They sound interesting. I'm assuming that the "Earth-setting" featured in the novels will likely be the "Gothic Earth" of 2e [and 3e under the revised RL license]. Though, whether it will be directly referred to such, remains to be seen.

It will be intriguing to see what, if anything, is used from RAVENLOFT to support the tales told in these new books.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 22 May 2007 : 02:40:55
So...I wonder will these be in a similar atmospheric style to the "Masque of Red Death" supplements for 2E, with the exception of beings being dragged into Ravenloft itself...or rather different, like crossovers of single characters into a full bore Gothic-Fantasy-World? And I´m honestly not sure, which I would prefer...alas, at least there is new Ravenloft novel material on the horizon.
The Sage Posted - 14 May 2007 : 01:15:11
"Gothic Earth's" Italy to be exact.
boddynock Posted - 13 May 2007 : 20:28:35
I'm curious too. It's not the first time that the misty fingers of the domains of dread reached gothic earth. The domain Odiare (pinochio rip off ;-) ) was originally a small town in Italy that is transported to the domains of dread.
The Sage Posted - 13 May 2007 : 07:31:05
The only aspect of the Covenant re-releases that I've enjoyed is that it has allowed me to obtain copies of the older RL novels that are otherwise damaged or in poor condition.

I like the idea of an official new sourcebook that would, eventually, feature the new domains that are being set up as "settings" for these new novels. Even if nothing were to officially develop on this, I can see it becoming the basis for a significant fan-based project for those of us active over at the "Fraternity of Shadows" website.
Alaundo Posted - 13 May 2007 : 07:21:08
Well met

I'm certainly very intrigued by this news. I'm a bit dubious about the use of real world crossovers into Ravenloft, but time will tell.

Nevertheless, i'm happy to see the return of Ravenloft fiction; something i've been hoping for for many years. From the RL novels i've read, they have been consistantly high quality and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I just hope they do away with the terrible format of the Covenant rereleases. The cover art isn't particularly great or doing the tomes justice and the font size and format is awful.

I wonder if WotC will produce a new sourcebook detailing the new domains etc.
The Sage Posted - 13 May 2007 : 05:29:35
Hmmm... that sounds even more intriguing.

I wonder whether the other major "domain-creating/setting-changing" historical RL event -- the 'Grand Conjunction/Great Upheaval' -- will relate, in any way, to the creation of these new domains in the Demiplane of Dread.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 13 May 2007 : 04:40:44
From what Ari Marmell said over at the Worlds of D&D forums, Ravenloft itself is suppose to be the same Ravenloft, the demiplane of Dread, but they the mists are reaching into "our" history to pull some people in so that they can do Ravenloft novels that don't have to refer to D&D settings other than Ravenloft. He said the first few new novels will be creating new domains, but eventually some of novels may start going back to old standbys like Barovia and Lamordia.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000