Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 'Character Class' - A new D&D online column

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 14 Oct 2004 : 07:29:06
It now appears as though the Complete series of tomes are not providing enough assistance to the D&D gaming community.

Wizards.com have now uploaded the new series of articles they've been hinting about, this time dealing with character class options. The first of these articles, Fighters with Class, and written by Skip Williams, is now up.

Have a look, and be sure to return here to tell us what you think...
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bookwyrm Posted - 14 Oct 2004 : 22:24:56
I don't think their problem was with the Complete series. I see that as a series for expanding on the PHB. This, on the other hand, is "advice on using the PHB core classes."

Of course, if they're all going to be like this, then they'll be useful only to true newbies. I don't even see anything for a player just upgrading from 2e. Perhaps there might be something for that when dealing with the bard, barbarian, monk, or sorcerer. A fighter, though, has no real change, as far as the class's role is concerned in the game.
The Sage Posted - 14 Oct 2004 : 14:25:41
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Hmmm, I wonder if these new articles are akin to the class expansion articles which appear in Dragon magazine (neither of which I have had the time to read through yet ).

What are your views on usefulness of this new article, Sage?

Well, for those players or DMs with more than a passing knowledge of the d20 D&D rules (I include myself in this category, obviously ), there is very little in this article that provided any real "use" for a campaign. I mean, most of us have either played or DM'd a campaign that was "fighter-heavy", so we've likely developed our own style of play with fighter PCs which has evolved over time.

Having said that though, I did find the "Playing a Classy Fighter" section interesting, but again, not very useful.

Overall, these articles are obviously directed at those players and DMs who are just starting out in their D&D gaming careers. Still, I'm hoping that with an author like Mr. Williams at the helm, we'll hopefully receive some choice golden nuggets of knowledge that may just prove useful...
Lord Rad Posted - 14 Oct 2004 : 09:39:35
Hmmm, I wonder if these new articles are akin to the class expansion articles which appear in Dragon magazine (neither of which I have had the time to read through yet ).

What are your views on usefulness of this new article, Sage?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000